29 weeks and little fetal movement - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-26-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that I am healthy and that my baby is healthy too, but I was just wondering why at 29 weeks I rarely feel this  baby move (besides the odd kick once or twice a day) . With my first (a boy) he was very active and I felt him constantly. This pregnancy has been an unassisted one and I have been eating very well, but not very physically active. Are some babies just less active? 

Thanks for the input,

Emily

#2 of 19 Old 12-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Keep in mind that little fetal movement is not the same as no fetal movement. Yes, little fetal movement can be a concern, but it's not the same as no fetal movement. So you may want to change the title of the post to little movement as opposed to no movement (it got me worried because no movement is generally something to be pretty worried about). :)

However, in your case it seems a little different. Little fetal movement is not necessarily reason for concern unless baby's movement slows down significantly (so you feel baby move several times a day for several days/weeks and then it goes down to once or twice a day). It sounds like your baby has always been like this with movement just a couple times a day? I wouldn't worry too much (unless you have other reasons to be concerned). Some babies are much more active than others. DS was pretty active but this baby is FAR more active than DS was. Every baby and every pregnancy is different. Some really like to bounce around and some just prefer to chill out and just stretch occasionally. And some like to do most of their bumbling around while mama is asleep (mama is relaxed and laying down so sometimes they take advantage of the extra room), so it could be baby's moving around while you're asleep without you knowing. They're all different. If you have no other reason to be concerned about the baby's health, I wouldn't worry just yet. :)

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#3 of 19 Old 12-26-2010, 02:51 PM

Lurking here. But I agree. If the baby has just always been that way I wouldn't be concerned. Do you know if you have an anterior placenta? (I wouldn't have known had I not specifically asked)

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#4 of 19 Old 12-26-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks I will change the title. And no I don't know where my placenta is, does that matter? And this baby has always been very inactive. I just thought maybe there was a reason for it- like the placenta? 

#5 of 19 Old 12-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Yes it does! If the placent is in the front it makes it harder to feel kicks, for sure. Extra padding, I guess.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#6 of 19 Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 AM

I have had wee ones in utero move much less than others. It was their personality.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#7 of 19 Old 12-28-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

well that makes me feel better. I wouldn't mind a calm relaxed baby, my son is a ball of energy from the moment he wakes up til he goes to sleep at night. ROTFLMAO.gif

#8 of 19 Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 PM

I had a fundal placenta with DS1 and I felt him move a TON from about 18 weeks on.  I'm 24 weeks with DS2 now and I have an anterior placenta this time.  It's amazing the difference in how much movement I'm feeling.  I know some of this is due to the placenta's position, but I think some is just that this little guy doesn't move as much.  Also, with DS1, I was working a desk job so was sitting around all day & I didn't miss any movements.  This time, I'm chasing a 2 year old all daywinky.gif

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#9 of 19 Old 12-28-2010, 09:35 PM

Agree - every baby's movements are different.  I could tell which twin was which in utero because of how differently they "moved."

Also, an anterior placenta can definitely affect how strongly you do (or don't) feel movement.  The placenta makes a different sound on a doppler than the baby's heartbeat or your own.  I don't know if you can discern placental placement with a fetoscope or not.

Take care! =)

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#10 of 19 Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Most likely it is a front placenta, or you are busy and don't notice the movement as much as you did in your first pregnancy. I would recommend some investigation
Is fundal height close to 29 cm? Listen to heart rate can you hear variance accelerations with movement? I listened to a recorded lecture given by sister Angela she uses kick counts as a low tec tool if low movement or a change in movement then she does her own non- stress test with a fetal scope charting rate and movement if felt , if still low movement or few accelerations then she refers her mom on to an OB not every baby has a problem in this group of referrals but she reduced her stillbirth rate to 0 doing this type of screening.
#11 of 19 Old 12-29-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think I am busier. I felt this baby way later than my son. My son I felt at 17 weeks and this baby at 20-ish week was when I felt kicks. I do the fundal height and it is measuring on point but I have never found a HB bc I use a stethoscope- somebody told me that they used a stethoscope so I bought one and I have never heard the HB and I am 29 weeks.Seems like I rarely feel kicks, but when I do they are on my sides at the bottom and my DP never feels any kicks and he felt them really well from 26 weeks.

Thanks for the input!

#12 of 19 Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

good to hear lol I was working and going to school with DS1 and this baby I am chasing a toddler. But you may be right. Having a toddler is nonstop from when you wake up til bedtime.

#13 of 19 Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 PM

from your description of where you feel movement, the fact that you started feeling it later with this pregnancy and that your husband doesn't feel it, I would almost guarantee you have an anterior placenta...I hear this concern coupled with this description of movements over and over in my practice, and since most of our moms do have 20 week sonos I can let them know where the placenta is located - with what you are describing it is invariably an anterior placenta.  this is not concerning, it's just as someone upthread described - "extra padding" that the baby has to kick through so you don't feel the thumps and bumps out front.  it is also true that different babies have very different movement patterns, some super busy and some very mellow.  you may have a combo of placenta up front and mellow babe.

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#14 of 19 Old 12-29-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

thank you, now that you guys said anterior placenta I googled it and it does sound just like me. It really put my mind at ease, thanks!

#15 of 19 Old 01-01-2011, 02:37 PM

I had an anterior placenta and had a very active baby. Some babies are less active and some women do find an anterior placenta limits the amount they feel but personally I would get a midwife or dr to give me the once over just to put my mind at rest that it wasn't something more concerning. Hope all is well.

#16 of 19 Old 01-01-2011, 02:56 PM

I had anterior placenta with my first, and he was also a pretty quiet baby.  I did worry sometimes because I'd barely feel him, and when I did it just felt like little motions.

It wasn't until I was PG with #2, who was very active and did NOT have an anterior placenta, that I realized just how much I was missing.  Honestly,  after my pregnancy with #1, I *do* almost understand how those "I didn't know I was pregnant!" stories can happen.   If I'd been pregnant before and was expecting baby movement like #2, I would have written off most of #1's motion as gas bubbles.

However, while he wasn't very active, his heart tones were always very reassuring, which helped.  I was also seeing midwives, who would palpate him and comment that even if I couldn't feel all his movements, he was moving during their palpations as much as other babies.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#17 of 19 Old 01-01-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies since you all mentioned the placenta I have started to realize those small movements on the side of my belly. It is definitely not like my first at all but I can notice those side movements at night mostly. Thank you for putting my anxious mind at ease :)

#18 of 19 Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 PM

Are you 100% sure of your dates? If your dates were off, it wouldn't be surprising at all that you are feeling everything 3 weeks behind your previous pregnancy.
#19 of 19 Old 01-10-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I am pretty sure about my date. My periods are regular and I have been keeping track of my fundal height :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page