How to determine the postion of placenta without U/s? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you tell where your placenta is located without u/s? Is there a way to tell if it is previa?

\

#2 of 14 Old 12-26-2010, 08:30 PM

Don't think you will know for sure until the last weeks of pregnancy.  There can be some bleeding that will warn you in the last couple of months.  Also, there is a higher chance of breech or transverse due to the placenta's placement- that can warn you too.  But honestly, most women get u/s before a low-lying placenta could be confirmed as previa.  A late term u/s would be necessary to determine for sure.  But, it is rare.  I think there should be no concern unless you have late term bleeding, breech/transverse, or just a gut feeling.

Mother to Obadiah, Ira, fencing.gifEva, dust.gifand Ailsa babyf.gif, wife of wonderful state trooper in Alaskacold.gifhomeschool.gifwinner.jpgteapot2.GIFdog2.gifdog2.gifcat.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgpraying.gif
#3 of 14 Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 AM

I can hear where my placenta is based on the different "whoosh whoosh" sounds from my fetoscope.  Also, baby never hangs out in that spot.  As far as ruling out previa (while not being able to hear where the placenta is), not sure you can with just a fetoscope.

#4 of 14 Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 AM

I never cared. I mean if I was bleeding, I might check w/ fetescope, but otherwise no.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#5 of 14 Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies! So previa usually has some bleeding? I am pretty sure my placenta is anterior bc I rarely feel kicks at 29 weeks and tried getting the HB with a stethoscope but couldn't find it.
#6 of 14 Old 12-27-2010, 10:27 AM

I believe that it is possible to go through a pregnancy with a complete or partial previa and NO bleeding.  In all cases, as soon as your cervix begins to dilate, you will begin to bleed bright red blood, and this should be treated as an emergency situation with medical assistance in a hospital.  However, previa is rare.  Of the women who have previa diagnosed at a 20-week ultrasound, only 5% will still have previa at term.  Is there a reason you are worried about previa?

#7 of 14 Old 12-27-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

There is no reason why I am worried about previa other than I am doing an unassisted pregnancy and no ultrasounds. I just figured out that my placenta was anterior so I was curious about previa. Thank you for the information!
#8 of 14 Old 12-27-2010, 02:59 PM

Don't assume a problem if nothing has shown you it is a problem. I have not had an U/S w/ my last seven pregnancies, all UC's. I have no idea where my placentas are.

WinterPrego likes this.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#9 of 14 Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

thank you that makes my feel better. :)

#10 of 14 Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 AM

VeganEmma - Such a great question! Some thing I have been wondering myself. This is my first baby,and I do not plan on an u/s. Also, we are planning on UC, so every once in a while I would have a passing doubt! But much like you, I have had no signs indicating a reason to worry.  :)

Married to my favorite backwoodsman tiphat.gif since 2010, DS1 nut.gif in 5/11 and expecting #2 in 7/13...Crazy about homeschool.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF homebirth.jpg uc.jpg cd.gif hang.gif knit.gif sewmachine.gif

#11 of 14 Old 12-29-2010, 11:02 AM

I've been thinking about a u/s for this exact reason at some point near my "due date"........ just to relieve myself of any worries I may have.  However, I am finding it nigh unto impossible to get an u/s without a doctor's orders and I have no desire to see an ob....ever, if it's avoidable.  So I may just do without the u/s anyhow.  I appreciate you asking this question, the discussion that has followed has been immensely helpful.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.
#12 of 14 Old 12-29-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

your welcome. With my first I went to a 4d u/s place and needed no doctors info. I am not going to do any u/s this time around. Glad it helped, it helped me too!

#13 of 14 Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

A couple of people have talked about previa and bleeding, and there are a few things to keep in mind.

First, not all previas will bleed early enough for that to be useful as a warning sign.  Most will.  Some won't bleed until labor.

Second, pregnancy is not always a blood-free time.  In particular, many women have bloody show before labor starts, and many bleed during labor.  Bleeding from previa is bright red, not mucus-y, and usually (although not always) painless.  Because bleeding can be started by cervical dilation, you may have bleeding associated with contractions.  In my experience (read my birth story if you want), a crisis involving placenta previa also involves a *lot* of blood.  The most useful thing anyone said to me while I was pregnant was "if there's blood splashing around your ankles, call an ambulance."

Ultrasound does offer a lot of certainty about placental location, and IMO, that's a good reason to have one. 

#14 of 14 Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Luckily this is my second child so I have a little experience with labor and birth. I have an idea of what is normal blood, so I will keep a look out for excessive bright blood. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page