Emergency Situations During UC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone ever experienced emergency situations during the birth?  I'm wondering about cord prolapse?  Has this happened to any UCers, and what did you do?

Any other situations that seemed "life threatening" (other than hemorrhage,cord around the neck,shoulder dystocia, and breech)? How did you react/handle the situation?

Married to my favorite backwoodsman tiphat.gif since 2010, DS1 nut.gif in 5/11 and expecting #2 in 7/13...Crazy about homeschool.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF homebirth.jpg uc.jpg cd.gif hang.gif knit.gif sewmachine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM

If there is a visible cord prolapse, mom immediately moves into the head-down knee-chest prone position.  You would have your chest all the way on the floor with your butt high in the air, resting on your knees.  You would transport immediately to a hospital, keeping in mind it might be faster to drive and call the hospital to alert them you are coming and have a cord prolapse.  Also, if there is a baby part that is presenting with the cord and compressing it, and if you have a (sterile?) glove on hand and someone who is comfortable with this (and you are comfortable with it), a partner can reach inside and apply counter pressure on the presenting part, to take pressure off the cord as much as possible on the way to the hospital.

As far as other emergencies, I dunno ... will be watching this thread.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:53 AM

I am also interested in hearing from UC-ers who actually encountered emergencies. There is a huge difference in theoretically knowing what to do in an emergency and actually encountering one, and hearing from those who encountered problems during a UC, and how they solved it, would be useful for people planning one. My UC passed without any trouble at all, so I have nothing but theoretical knowledge.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post

I am also interested in hearing from UC-ers who actually encountered emergencies. There is a huge difference in theoretically knowing what to do in an emergency and actually encountering one, and hearing from those who encountered problems during a UC, and how they solved it, would be useful for people planning one. My UC passed without any trouble at all, so I have nothing but theoretical knowledge.

Would you mind sharing your UC story? You could pm me if you'd rather not post it here.   orngbiggrin.gif  I have not yet done UC, so I'm always looking for a new story!

Married to my favorite backwoodsman tiphat.gif since 2010, DS1 nut.gif in 5/11 and expecting #2 in 7/13...Crazy about homeschool.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF homebirth.jpg uc.jpg cd.gif hang.gif knit.gif sewmachine.gif

Old 12-27-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterPrego View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post

Would you mind sharing your UC story? You could pm me if you'd rather not post it here.   orngbiggrin.gif  I have not yet done UC, so I'm always looking for a new story!

Sure, it's on my blog: http://www.writeaboutbirth.com/index.php/2010/07/13/my-son%E2%80%99s-unassisted-homebirth-story/

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

MittensKittens - I LOVE your blog!  You have so much wonderful info on UC, Placentophagy, Premature Cord Clamping....all of which I've had a lot of questions on.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:

MittensKittens - I LOVE your blog!  You have so much wonderful info on UC, Placentophagy, Premature Cord Clamping....all of which I've had a lot of questions on.

Thanks! I started it to share as much information about UC and birth in general, because there is relatively little info of practical value on the web. If anyone feels like contributing, I'd be very happy! Particularly UC-ers who experienced actual complications.

Are you the person who made lots of comments on my blog tonight? :)

Old 12-27-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I started it to share as much information about UC and birth in general, because there is relatively little info of practical value on the web. If anyone feels like contributing, I'd be very happy! Particularly UC-ers who experienced actual complications.

Are you the person who made lots of comments on my blog tonight? :)

Yep, I'm the guilty one!  hehe, I have so many questions concerning UC...I'm actually still on your blog!  ;)

Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 AM

My best advice is to listen to your inner voice, and follow your instincts...  Think less and act more...

I don't consider my experience a true emergency, but it very well could have been if I hadn't listened to my inner voice....   During my first UC, I had been pushy for several hours, which is common for some women, but not for me, but I was going to allow my body to work, I knew it knew how....  I kept feeling as though the baby was being hindered by something so I changed positions often to try to allow her to turn and pass as needed... I had decided to lay down and relax for a while as I was starting to become over tired, and I immediately had this feeling wash over me like something was wrong, and I needed to get her out now, so I broke my bulging water and immediately started to push hard (which i never do, I usually just allow my body to push naturally).  I had her out completely with 2 pushes, she didn't breath immediately and was a little bluish, but not bad, a little stimulation got her going and she pinked up immediately.  At which time I discovered the cause of my feeling, my placenta had detached prematurely and the cord had stopped pulsing.  She had not been getting anymore life support from my body, and may have died had I not followed my voice...

photosmile2.gif  M~ Mother to 1 GentlemanREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 Ladies blahblah.gif, thumbsuck.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, whistling.gif, energy.gif and 1 More Gentleman 1sttri.gif arriving in May, + 2 dog2.gifdog2.gif, and a rat hamster.jpg to add to the fun.

novaxnocirc.gif     cd.gif        treehugger.gif       goorganic.jpg       lactivist.gif       uc.jpg       bfinfant.gif      
Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainystar66 View Post

My best advice is to listen to your inner voice, and follow your instincts...  Think less and act more...

I don't consider my experience a true emergency, but it very well could have been if I hadn't listened to my inner voice....   During my first UC, I had been pushy for several hours, which is common for some women, but not for me, but I was going to allow my body to work, I knew it knew how....  I kept feeling as though the baby was being hindered by something so I changed positions often to try to allow her to turn and pass as needed... I had decided to lay down and relax for a while as I was starting to become over tired, and I immediately had this feeling wash over me like something was wrong, and I needed to get her out now, so I broke my bulging water and immediately started to push hard (which i never do, I usually just allow my body to push naturally).  I had her out completely with 2 pushes, she didn't breath immediately and was a little bluish, but not bad, a little stimulation got her going and she pinked up immediately.  At which time I discovered the cause of my feeling, my placenta had detached prematurely and the cord had stopped pulsing.  She had not been getting anymore life support from my body, and may have died had I not followed my voice...

Thanks! this is definitely a great reminder!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:55 PM

Not much to add, other than in 7 UC's I have not had an emergency. 

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

Mamatoabunch - You're an inspiration!  :)  Having UC'ed 7 times, do you have any tips to pass on, whether it's supplies for birth, foods for labor, etc...?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

Mamatoabunch - You're an inspiration!  :)  Having UC'ed 7 times, do you have any tips to pass on, whether it's supplies for birth, foods for labor, etc...?

Nothing much brilliant to add other than just chill and let whatever rolls happen. I had three or four labors in under 4 hours and then one longer labor. It annoyed me so much, instead of just chilling. Not every labor will follow a pattern either, it doesn't much matter as baby will come out eventually, LOL. Umm, supplies, you don't much of anything. Calcium lactate the last week or two and in labor will help contraxs not be as painful, especially if waters break early or before labor. I have quick labors almost always so I don't eat or have a desire to eat in labor. 

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:

I don't consider my experience a true emergency, but it very well could have been if I hadn't listened to my inner voice....   

Exactly. I have a somewhat similar story but that just fine because I listened to myself. DS was my 3rd baby. He was posterior which I had not known until labor hit and it was never ending back labor. It was a quick labor, 4 hours long, but my contractions were all over the place, 7m, 2m, 7, I was timing them purely out of desperation to find something to do while coping with the pain that never relented. I had actually never timed during my other births. I had 3 back to back contractions and then felt the urge to push. The second I started pushing I felt something was off.  I got the head out quickly and could actually feel the head rotate around as the body shifted, it was quite wild. I started pushing again and it was sticky.  Meaning the shoulders. I had this feeing that the time was of a essence, the baby needed to come out now. Giving no thought to tearing, which I ended up not doing,  I started trying to get that baby out quickly. I had been squatting and flipped over then to hands and knees. I got the shoulders out after several very hard pushes, they literally felt like they barely squeaked out. I've never had that feeling before. With my other babies, once they shoulders were free, the baby just slid out. Nope, not DS, it took another 3-4 pushes to get the rest of his body out. He was purple from head to toe, not responsive, but breathing so I rubbed him gently and gradually he came along. He took the better part of the day to fully pink up, I actually had a MW friend look at him, he was fine. DS turned out to be 8lbs 12ozs, but only 19 inches long with these linebacker shoulders. For the record I am 5'5 and 105 lbs when not pg. I think his size coupled with his position was the max my body could of safely handled. We managed just fine, but if I wasn't listening to myself then there was certainly a potential for true shoulder dystocia. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:23 AM

Did you have any excess bleeding from this?

Quote:

Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 AM

Nope, not at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post

Did you have any excess bleeding from this?

photosmile2.gif  M~ Mother to 1 GentlemanREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 Ladies blahblah.gif, thumbsuck.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, whistling.gif, energy.gif and 1 More Gentleman 1sttri.gif arriving in May, + 2 dog2.gifdog2.gif, and a rat hamster.jpg to add to the fun.

novaxnocirc.gif     cd.gif        treehugger.gif       goorganic.jpg       lactivist.gif       uc.jpg       bfinfant.gif      
Old 01-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Not really an emergency, but something I had actually been worried about - baby passing meconium.

It was something I always knew I was at a higher risk for, since I have long gestations, so I'd done quite a bit of reading about it, and ultimately came to the conclusion that intervention was rarely helpful and that I would assess the situation rather than immediately transferring for it (which I couldn't have done anyway as it turned out).

I was having some mild contractions then had a little leak of slightly brownish coloured water (that was my water breaking - don't think I had too much left at that point - this was 43+6 weeks) so I knew that I was likely dealing with mec.  Checked DD's heart tones with my little Doppler thingy - she was doing just fine, and moving well, so I figured I'd wait and see.  Ended up having a super fast labour, and she was out in about 45 minutes from that - totally covered in thick mec, but fine.

My mom caught her and handed her to me - she was alert with wide-open eyes, not really crying, just gave a little one then looked around.  I quickly checked her mouth, which was clear - I was prepared to use my own mouth to 'suction' if necessary, but no need.  

I have to say that having read quite a bit about it, and having a pretty clear plan in my head as to what I would do if it happened really helped me to feel calm and clear about it all.  I had similar 'plans' for other potential emergency situations, like shoulder dystocia and PPH.  

We did end up transferring into the hospital for observation for a few hours after the birth, completely for my DH's comfort - but I managed to keep DD2 skin-to-skin the whole time, and didn't have too much trouble refusing various things they wanted to do there - mostly by not putting DD2 down at all!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10

User Tag List