I'm back, and (a vent) Ugh, I hate Dr's! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello All!   I just found my way back after being MIA for 3 years, so I doubt anyone is going to remember me...   I had my first UC in '07, and my second in '09, and am really looking forward to one more in '11!

I just saw a new OB today, I always go to at least a few appts, to have a few labs ran, and have an ultrasound down before I return to UPing...  Ugh!  This guy was a piece of work...  I got a 20 min lecture about how risky giving birth naturally to more than 3 children is, (this is #7).  He then preceded to try to have me fill out a consent for an emergency hysterectomy, in the event that I hemorrhage due to the fragile state of my over worked uterus, and do a quick scan to show me all of the weak spots in my placenta that could cause retention...  I really wanted to give this guy a piece of my mind, but I somehow refrained...  I have an ultrasound scheduled for next week, for a full scan, and I think that really may be my last visit.  I wonder how many poor woman that man has scared the crap out of...

photosmile2.gif  M~ Mother to 1 GentlemanREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 Ladies blahblah.gif, thumbsuck.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, whistling.gif, energy.gif and 1 More Gentleman 1sttri.gif arriving in May, + 2 dog2.gifdog2.gif, and a rat hamster.jpg to add to the fun.

novaxnocirc.gif     cd.gif        treehugger.gif       goorganic.jpg       lactivist.gif       uc.jpg       bfinfant.gif      
#2 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 04:18 PM

So sorry about your experience. I totally understand. I have had the same experiences with most doctors. Grace is important to give to them- they have their opinion and their experience- which is not usually very much faith oriented (more fear oriented) or even personalized. I am planning to UC with my next baby- will be my fifth. I'm not pregnant yet. But birth is a passion of mine. So, even not being pregnant, I love knowing more. So, just wondering if you need to go to a doc to have your pregnancy confirmed so as to have the baby on your insurance, birth certificate, and social security card. I am wondering which would be the "lesser of evils" to go to a doc with all the frustrations or to do it afterward with those frustrations.

Mother to Obadiah, Ira, fencing.gifEva, dust.gifand Ailsa babyf.gif, wife of wonderful state trooper in Alaskacold.gifhomeschool.gifwinner.jpgteapot2.GIFdog2.gifdog2.gifcat.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgpraying.gif
#3 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 PM

Sounds like a jerk! But you do have to understand that Doctors arent trained to look at birth as a normal event, they are trained to look for issues to prevent or solve, it's in their training and not entirely their fault. Im currently reading a book for midwives on how to handle emergencies out of hospital and let me just say that if I didnt have a solid background in natural birth I would be scared of birth too!

I hope your next visit is better!

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#4 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I have always gone to the Dr at least a few times with my UC's, so I've never had to deal with jumping through the hoops for not having that ultrasound picture to take in.  Thank goodness, registering the birth where I am has been a breeze!  The hardest one for me was the social security card the first time...  I had to take about 10 different things in before they were even sure what they would accept since she hadn't been seen at the hospital...  It was extremely frustrating...  having done it before it was easier with my second UC, and only took a few minutes to get the verification done, and I had her card in the mail in 2 weeks time.

photosmile2.gif  M~ Mother to 1 GentlemanREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 Ladies blahblah.gif, thumbsuck.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, whistling.gif, energy.gif and 1 More Gentleman 1sttri.gif arriving in May, + 2 dog2.gifdog2.gif, and a rat hamster.jpg to add to the fun.

novaxnocirc.gif     cd.gif        treehugger.gif       goorganic.jpg       lactivist.gif       uc.jpg       bfinfant.gif      
#5 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Wow, sounds like the guy IS a piece of work.  I do shadow care with an ob as well, and I've NEVER had anything like that said to me, in fact she's great as far as OB's go.   This is my 7th birth(and one m/c, so 8th pg) and I've never heard about how high risk I am.  

Shannon~mother to 7 #8 due @Sept 8th.

#6 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have never seen anything like this guy...  I was joking when I left that this guy had to have been born without a filter or something...  I am so glad that I have educated myself through the years or this guy would have scared me to death... I actually think he did for a second until I had time to rationalize things in my mind... 

#7 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM

How frustrating for you :(

For those of you that do shadow care with an ob, do you tell them you are planning a UC? 

#8 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

I never have... I always just called and cancel my next appt and tell them that I have switched to the care of a midwife.  I have a wonderful pediatrician who is very UC friendly (he was a midwife for many years, and actually became a dr because he felt the medical field was too medicalized) and he always jokes that the local OB's would "shit kittens" if I ever told them what I was planning... 

#9 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainystar66 View Post

I never have... I always just called and cancel my next appt and tell them that I have switched to the care of a midwife.  I have a wonderful pediatrician who is very UC friendly (he was a midwife for many years, and actually became a dr because he felt the medical field was too medicalized) and he always jokes that the local OB's would "shit kittens" if I ever told them what I was planning... 

Do you use a new OB each time?  I'm sure the pedi you use is right lol they probably would have a fit about it

#10 of 12 Old 12-29-2010, 06:03 PM

OP: That would be annoying. Thankfully you know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynaturalmama View Post

How frustrating for you :(

For those of you that do shadow care with an ob, do you tell them you are planning a UC? 

No, I would not tell any care provider I was planning to UC can you can pretty much guarantee they aren't going to be happy about it and may report you to CPS even though it's not illegal.

I don't do shadow care, but just saying.

pdiannet I recommend going to an early pregnancy center, OB or midwife for an official pregnancy test and for them to give you a due date and have them/ or a nurse sign a paper stating you are pregnant and when your due date is. That's the easiest thing. And no, you don't have to go back again if you don't want to. That's exactly what I did with my last pregnancy. With this one I did the same thing but I will be seeing some hospital midwives starting in a couple weeks. I hope that'll be good.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#11 of 12 Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 AM

With my 3rd, I simply told them I was planning a homebirth, they assumed m/w attended.  They didn't have a cow when they found out the day he was born, but told me that I could come in for rhogam if I wanted.   I've used the same ob every time, since #2(hosp birth), and they know that I *go against the flow* and take me as I come.  No issues.  No CPS called, or even an ambulance(although the the nurse did ask me after my first was born if I wanted one to come, LOL). I am very aware that I am lucky though, on that front.

Shannon~mother to 7 #8 due @Sept 8th.

#12 of 12 Old 12-30-2010, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you use a new OB each time?  I'm sure the pedi you use is right lol they probably would have a fit about it

The first and second time I UC'd I used the same OB, this time I only used a different one because when I called my regular OB to schedule an appt the nurse said, "We're pretty backed up, and since we won't be delivering you most likely anyway would you mind waiting a few weeks to get in (7 weeks)",  So I called the new OB in town and he said I can see you next week, waiting wouldn't have normally been a big deal, but we're going to be moving out of state around that time so I just kinda wanted to have it all done and out of the way....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page