PKU how to get out of it? Advice - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

I think the government would have a lot to gain from keeping the dna and supposedly thrown out placentas. Just saying.

Like what exactly? Just out of sheer curiosity... H

Honestly, I think that mega-corporations (pharma, tech, etc.) would have more to gain and be far more organized in collecting such information if it were being collected (which I'm not saying it is or isn't either way...). But seriously, have you ever worked for the US government? It's one of the most chaotic and disorganized organizations ever. LOL

This is getting really, really off topic though... is there a conspiracy thread somewhere on MDC? ROTFLMAO.gif

Moo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 09:28 AM

OT- on keeping DNA it depends on your state.  There have been a couple of lawsuits here in TX for just that.  In fact they were using the blood samples for research as well without consent.  

-Angela

Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 AM

Mommel:

Here's a couple of articles. 

http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/the-government-has-a-piece-of-your-baby/

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/04/baby.dna.government/?hpt=C1

There is more info when doing a net search. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 01-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Very interesting, dayiscoming2006... thanks! I suppose if I thought it would be better for my family, we could just live off the grid entirely, but I guess it's always a risk vs. benefits question... and it all requires an educated guess into the future. Interesting reading though... I also researched my state and the details therein regarding screening. I don't know that there's much I can (or realistically have time) to do about it, except perhaps have an UC, which I'm just simply not brave enough for. Kudos to you mamas who are! I'll be lucky if I get to have a HB. As for the PKU, it's part of the newborn metabolic screen that's collected and stored by our state, so I doubt I'd be able to get out of it, even if I wanted to. It sounds brutal and I'm not happy about it. I'll have to think on this topic a bit more before making any decisions. Thanks for adding to the list of things to worry about! Welcome to parenthood, eh? LOL

Moo.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 AM

I talked with my midwife about not doing the test with my last baby.  She hadn't heard of the new law where they keep your baby's dna for 21years (in Washington).  She found the info and was slightly disturbed, but still wanted it done.  She found a form for me that I could send in to the state and ask for them to destroy the DNA after the test.  I didn't bother with that form though, but it is available as an option.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 01-04-2011, 02:31 PM

I don't have too much to add to the discussion really, other than I did discover with my last birth that the test does not have to be done by heal stick anymore, that this is an outdated practice, and that a normal blood draw technique can be done instead and still have accurate results, with much less discomfort to the baby.   With my last birth, my ped told me to make it clear to the lab that I would not allow a heel stick, and wrote it in very large letters on my lab req as well.  My daughter nursed comfortably as the blood was collected for her testing.

As to the OP, the County Health Dept. in my county (Kern) in California was going to refuse to issue the birth certificate without the PKU info; this wasn't a problem for me because I have no problems with the testing when performed as stated above, I know it varies from state to state, as well as within the different counties within that state... I hope you are able to find information for a solution that works for you. :)

photosmile2.gif  M~ Mother to 1 GentlemanREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 Ladies blahblah.gif, thumbsuck.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, whistling.gif, energy.gif and 1 More Gentleman 1sttri.gif arriving in May, + 2 dog2.gifdog2.gif, and a rat hamster.jpg to add to the fun.

novaxnocirc.gif     cd.gif        treehugger.gif       goorganic.jpg       lactivist.gif       uc.jpg       bfinfant.gif      
Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 PM

We will be doing the metabolic screen at a private lab rather than through the state. This complies with the letter of the law but also allows us to add additional screens which we want and get the sample destroyed immediately rather than put on file with the state. OP I share this in case a private lab would be another option for you.

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

User Tag List