Crazy/funny question from family member - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I was at a family X-mas party and my brother's girlfriend tells me she's really interested in home birth and wants to learn ALL about it.  I'm thinking cool and so I tell her my last baby was unassisted and how everything went great.  So she says to me "well that's great... but I just don't understand how you cut your own episiotomy"?  It was the weirdest, most awkward moment EVER.  I just didn't know what to say.  I almost started laughing but luckily the diplomatic doula part of me took over and I explained how cutting is totally unnecessary and that tears heal better than a cut etc.

Such a crazy world we live in that young, hip, educated, twenty something women think that in order to give birth they have to have a medical professional on hand to cut their vagina's so the baby can come out!

Just thought I'd share...

Leah

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-05-2011, 11:27 PM

It is sad. Nobody knows anything about birth anymore, I sure as hell didn't. The same with breastfeeding. Luckily I found some internet pages that enlightened me. 

#3 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 AM

it's sad that so many people are having babies, and so very few of them have educated themselves on the process at all.  (that's not even to mention how very few educate themselves on parenting, or even really think about it)

#4 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 AM

hey im 23 and had DD drug free at a birth center at 21 and am still bfing at 15 m/o actually NAK ignorance can be a choice when it comes to birthing and parenting. I am also not very educated in general...was kicked out of school in 9th grade...when I returned the following year they made me go to "alternative" school where they basically teach you nothing...

I was not raised with any of those things...

I did a lot of research while pregnant.

but that is funny.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 AM

"Oh, I just did it the way women in caves used to do it ... with a dirty old piece of rock."

lolz

#6 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 08:33 AM

That is depressing.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#7 of 10 Old 03-01-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post

"Oh, I just did it the way women in caves used to do it ... with a dirty old piece of rock."

lolz

ROTFLMAO.gif

I also think its pretty sad she thought that, but it has nothing to do with age. Its purely that some people just never even think to question the way things are done in our society and blindly trust whatever the medical institution says- which is very in line with mainstream thinking. Its not until people become truly conscious that they would even start to explore birth and child-rearing in a deeper way. And sadly, planned ignorance is a state a lot of people choose to stay in. Not just surrounding birth, but in every area really.  

#8 of 10 Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious, I just about spit out what I was drinking when I read this.  Thanks for the laugh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamagranola28 View Post

So I was at a family X-mas party and my brother's girlfriend tells me she's really interested in home birth and wants to learn ALL about it.  I'm thinking cool and so I tell her my last baby was unassisted and how everything went great.  So she says to me "well that's great... but I just don't understand how you cut your own episiotomy"?

#9 of 10 Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM

Ok I just about died laughing!  

It's true that it has nothing to do with age.. it's about experience and the desire for more knowledge really.  I was 23 at my last birth - it was a UBAC.  :-)

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!
#10 of 10 Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM

I read this a while ago and thought i would never get questions like this but i have gotten 2 different one this week alone. People really do believe their bodies aren't capable.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page