Crazy/funny question from family member - Mothering Forums
Unassisted Childbirth > Crazy/funny question from family member
mamagranola28's Avatar mamagranola28 11:21 PM 01-05-2011

So I was at a family X-mas party and my brother's girlfriend tells me she's really interested in home birth and wants to learn ALL about it.  I'm thinking cool and so I tell her my last baby was unassisted and how everything went great.  So she says to me "well that's great... but I just don't understand how you cut your own episiotomy"?  It was the weirdest, most awkward moment EVER.  I just didn't know what to say.  I almost started laughing but luckily the diplomatic doula part of me took over and I explained how cutting is totally unnecessary and that tears heal better than a cut etc.

Such a crazy world we live in that young, hip, educated, twenty something women think that in order to give birth they have to have a medical professional on hand to cut their vagina's so the baby can come out!

Just thought I'd share...

Leah

VeganEmma's Avatar VeganEmma 12:27 AM 01-06-2011

It is sad. Nobody knows anything about birth anymore, I sure as hell didn't. The same with breastfeeding. Luckily I found some internet pages that enlightened me. 

lightinmyhands's Avatar lightinmyhands 08:08 AM 01-06-2011

it's sad that so many people are having babies, and so very few of them have educated themselves on the process at all.  (that's not even to mention how very few educate themselves on parenting, or even really think about it)

sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 08:26 AM 01-06-2011

hey im 23 and had DD drug free at a birth center at 21 and am still bfing at 15 m/o actually NAK ignorance can be a choice when it comes to birthing and parenting. I am also not very educated in general...was kicked out of school in 9th grade...when I returned the following year they made me go to "alternative" school where they basically teach you nothing...

I was not raised with any of those things...

I did a lot of research while pregnant.

but that is funny.

Pirogi's Avatar Pirogi 10:27 AM 01-06-2011

"Oh, I just did it the way women in caves used to do it ... with a dirty old piece of rock."

lolz

Mamatoabunch's Avatar Mamatoabunch 09:33 AM 01-08-2011

That is depressing.

Logan's Avatar Logan 07:43 PM 03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post

"Oh, I just did it the way women in caves used to do it ... with a dirty old piece of rock."

lolz

ROTFLMAO.gif

I also think its pretty sad she thought that, but it has nothing to do with age. Its purely that some people just never even think to question the way things are done in our society and blindly trust whatever the medical institution says- which is very in line with mainstream thinking. Its not until people become truly conscious that they would even start to explore birth and child-rearing in a deeper way. And sadly, planned ignorance is a state a lot of people choose to stay in. Not just surrounding birth, but in every area really.  

love4acr's Avatar love4acr 01:03 PM 03-23-2011

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious, I just about spit out what I was drinking when I read this.  Thanks for the laugh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamagranola28 View Post

So I was at a family X-mas party and my brother's girlfriend tells me she's really interested in home birth and wants to learn ALL about it.  I'm thinking cool and so I tell her my last baby was unassisted and how everything went great.  So she says to me "well that's great... but I just don't understand how you cut your own episiotomy"?

kitty waltz's Avatar kitty waltz 10:20 PM 03-24-2011

Ok I just about died laughing!  

It's true that it has nothing to do with age.. it's about experience and the desire for more knowledge really.  I was 23 at my last birth - it was a UBAC.  :-)

jerusha070707's Avatar jerusha070707 10:01 AM 03-25-2011

I read this a while ago and thought i would never get questions like this but i have gotten 2 different one this week alone. People really do believe their bodies aren't capable.

Up