Fetoscope - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are doing a mostly UP, planning a UC. I want to get a fetoscope but I'm overwhelmed by the choices. They range from $12-$150 or more. Of course I'd like to save money but want one that isn't going to be a pain to use. Any recommendations?

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#2 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 01:16 PM

I just rented a babybeat fetal doppler (babybeat.com), but I only intend to use it for labor/birth (at a cost of $22.80/month with promo code for the least expensive model they had--which is still a 3MHz probe).  The investment would be greater for you since you aren't due until June and you do need physicians approval for it, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

fambedsingle1.gif, cd.gif, heartbeat.gif ECing, slinggirl.gif, bfinfant.gif, first time mama to Serena jog.gif 1.17.11

hang.gif   goorganic.jpg crochetsmilie.gif photosmile2.gif

WAHM, Independent Distributor
#3 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 AM

I bought a basic one from Amazon for around $18 I think. No need for bells and whistles! It works great, and I've been hearing the heartbeat with it since around 17 weeks.

FYI, regular doppler use is not safe. During labor is likely okay, but frequently through the whole pregnancy is probably not a good idea. Check out Doppler Danger on facebook for many links to studies and articles about why.

#4 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 AM

FYI, this is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/MABIS-Healthcare-Fetal-Stethoscope-Black/dp/B001CCGY64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294943581&sr=8-1

It helps, if you're in the second trimester, to listen first thing in the morning before you've eaten anything. Digestion sounds can easily overshadow the heartbeat early on and make it hard to find. Third trimester that's not much of an issue. Also be sure to palpate around your belly to feel for the head so you can try to listen around the baby's upper back, where it will sound strongest. If you can't discern position, listen in all four quadrants of your uterus, and low near your pubic bone. It takes some practice!

#5 of 11 Old 01-13-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendemolena View Post

I bought a basic one from Amazon for around $18 I think. No need for bells and whistles! It works great, and I've been hearing the heartbeat with it since around 17 weeks.

FYI, regular doppler use is not safe. During labor is likely okay, but frequently through the whole pregnancy is probably not a good idea. Check out Doppler Danger on facebook for many links to studies and articles about why.

I'd definitely go with a fetoscope to check heart rate throughout pregnancy with a UP, especially since it costs less than a tank of gas! 

Thanks for the info! After reading some of those articles I will definitely be using the doppler sparingly even throughout labor/birth.  I was ordered 3 u/s during my pregnancy (1st NT; 2nd standard anatomy; 3rd because of a 4.5cm placental cyst near the umbilical cord that was discovered at the 2nd u/s but it miraculously disappeared before the 3rd u/s)...and I never thought twice about it or the fact that my OB uses a doppler to check fetal HR at each appt.  Although, I have conveniently forgotten to schedule a lot of appts with my OB and have really only gone about once a month the whole pregnancy--I have a 40 weeks appt on Tuesday and I haven't gone in since 36 weeks for the GBS test--WooPs!!! ;P -- but hopefully that makes up for something.  Thanks again for the link.

fambedsingle1.gif, cd.gif, heartbeat.gif ECing, slinggirl.gif, bfinfant.gif, first time mama to Serena jog.gif 1.17.11

hang.gif   goorganic.jpg crochetsmilie.gif photosmile2.gif

WAHM, Independent Distributor
#6 of 11 Old 01-21-2011, 11:11 AM

I ordered a cheap $15 one, and I don't know if it is my ears or what, but I could not hear my friends baby's hb at full term. I'd like to get a more expensive one this preg.

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#7 of 11 Old 01-27-2011, 04:07 PM

I had a semi-disposable stethoscope that worked fine. 

I obviously couldn't listen myself, but a simple cardboard tube from paper towels or toilet paper works as a fetoscope too.

#8 of 11 Old 01-27-2011, 07:08 PM

Once you get 7 months or so, your partner can listen through the belly with just his ear. My DH heard heartbeats clearer than through the fetoscope that way. Obviously you couldn't do that yourself though :)

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#9 of 11 Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJennifer View Post

Once you get 7 months or so, your partner can listen through the belly with just his ear. My DH heard heartbeats clearer than through the fetoscope that way. Obviously you couldn't do that yourself though :)

Where on your belly did he listen? I am going to try this with my SO.

#10 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganEmma View Post

Where on your belly did he listen? I am going to try this with my SO.

He put his ear kind of lower, where you would listen with a fetoscope (unless babe is breech). He just moved it around till he found the hb. It sounds kind of like a clock ticking under a pillow, though faster.

#11 of 11 Old 02-06-2011, 02:29 PM

I just bought a $13 model off of ebay and it works fine. I did find that I can hear a lot better if I'm laying on a hard floor vs a softer surface. DH said that having his head on the whatchamacallit helped a lot, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page