Not having a water birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It seems like every hombirth/UC story I read is a waterbirth. I don't plan on renting or buying a tub for this birth and I am wondering if any mothers had a land birth? How was it like, where was it, how was it? I was thinking making a 'nest' in my bedroom with a shower curtain and blankets...

Thanks for the input :)

#2 of 29 Old 01-15-2011, 12:44 PM

I gave birth to my second child on the bathroom floor - like you say, with a "nest" of blankets and towels underneath me. I did have a bath during labor, and it really helped me cope with the contractions. A waterbirth did not appeal to me much for several reasons, including having to set up a birth pool and clean it after the birth. I would also be worried about leaks reaching the neighbors in an apartment. The last thing you want is to argue about water damage in the throws of labor :).

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#3 of 29 Old 01-16-2011, 06:25 AM

Our second was born at home, not in water.  The only water I labored in was the shower.  He was born in bed and it was fine :)

#4 of 29 Old 01-16-2011, 08:27 AM

I didn't have dd in water, though I labored in water. I couldn't stand the feeling of water/floating when I had to push so I got out and birthed on land.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#5 of 29 Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 AM

i've had two unassisted births and labored and birthed on the living room floor both times.  we made a nest with a mattress protector and a bunch of towels on top.  worked out great!

when we get pregnant again, i will try out laboring in our bathtub-- we now have a nice big garden tub that i occasionally like to soak in-- but i'm keeping an open mind about whether i'll actually give birth in there.

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#6 of 29 Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Both of my UC's were comfortably in my bed.  I tried for a water birth with my first, hated the feeling of the water after transition...  With my second UC I labored in the water for a short time and then moved to my bed and relaxed and rested until it was time... I had a nest set up with a plastic backed sheet, an old sheet and a few chucks pads, for me the clean up was so easy, just roll the whole mess up and throw it in the trash in one swoop.   I tend to birth on my hands and knees/kneeling, and I loved having the softness of the bed under me....

photosmile2.gif  M~ Mother to 1 GentlemanREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 Ladies blahblah.gif, thumbsuck.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, whistling.gif, energy.gif and 1 More Gentleman 1sttri.gif arriving in May, + 2 dog2.gifdog2.gif, and a rat hamster.jpg to add to the fun.

novaxnocirc.gif     cd.gif        treehugger.gif       goorganic.jpg       lactivist.gif       uc.jpg       bfinfant.gif      
#7 of 29 Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

thank you, good ideas. :) 

#8 of 29 Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 PM

I haven't ever given birth at home, but I'm planning to UC with this bean and not in the water. I have a plastic shower curtain liner that I got at the dollar store and I'll be putting that down with some old sheets on top and some chux on top of that. I will probably be in and out of my shower during labor, or even the kiddie pool that we'll have set up in the back yard for the kids since I'm due in June. The idea of a waterbirth sounds good to me in theory, but I don't think that it's going to work for me.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

#9 of 29 Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 PM

I've not gotten the chance to UC yet, but I don't like staying in water that much normally. I can't imagine giving birth in water. It just doesn't sound very appealing to me. 

I sort of did my own thing for labor and pushing in the Romanian hospital with my second. They are too understaffed for specific care and just leave you to it until it's time to push. Well, they didn't catch that I needed to push in time. I was already set up on my hands and knees and involuntarily pushing in the bed and they were trying to convince me to go into the room next door with a metal table to continue. I told them no way. After pushing for like 10 mins, they forced me onto my back and one last push and baby was out. If I could have taken them away - I think it would have been a nice land birth experience though. So, anyway, I'm all for land birth. :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#10 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM

I liked the water for labor (not pain relief, which I didn't get, but relaxation).  However, right about the time transition hit I definitely did NOT enjoy the floaty lack-of-control I felt when trying to move in the water.  I needed to be on solid ground when birthing. 

I also don't like the idea of being slapped with cold air when getting out of the warm water after the birth.  I hate being cold more than anything!  I get very shivery after birthing anyways, so I prefer to be dry and wrapped in blankets at that point. :D

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

#11 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 PM

I birth really fast.  My last birth, my water broke and the baby was out within 30 minutes, so I don't see myself going to all the trouble to buy, set up, tear down, a birthing tub.  I could use my bathtub, I guess, but it's pretty small and I'm just not interested. Besides, with the rate of speed I birth, by the time the tub was filled at just the right temperature, the birth would pretty much be over!  

I birthed my son on the floor next to my bed (I had a rug covered by a chux pad underneath me). I swatted down, pushed once or twice, caught him, then climbed into bed and pulled up the covers!   It was just fine.  No, it was better than that. It was exhilarating! 

Brendalee likes this.

:
#12 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indignantgirl View Post

I liked the water for labor (not pain relief, which I didn't get, but relaxation).  However, right about the time transition hit I definitely did NOT enjoy the floaty lack-of-control I felt when trying to move in the water.  I needed to be on solid ground when birthing. 

I also don't like the idea of being slapped with cold air when getting out of the warm water after the birth.  I hate being cold more than anything!  I get very shivery after birthing anyways, so I prefer to be dry and wrapped in blankets at that point. :D

you make a good point bc I do not like to be cold either. 

#13 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholic74 View Post

I birth really fast.  My last birth, my water broke and the baby was out within 30 minutes, so I don't see myself going to all the trouble to buy, set up, tear down, a birthing tub.  I could use my bathtub, I guess, but it's pretty small and I'm just not interested. Besides, with the rate of speed I birth, by the time the tub was filled at just the right temperature, the birth would pretty much be over!  

I birthed my son on the floor next to my bed (I had a rug covered by a chux pad underneath me). I swatted down, pushed once or twice, caught him, then climbed into bed and pulled up the covers!   It was just fine.  No, it was better than that. It was exhilarating! 

that is great to hear, I am not sure if the pros outweigh all the work of setting up and cleaning up a birth pool. I want it to be special, but stress free too. I have a lot of thinking to do!

#14 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

I didn't have dd in water, though I labored in water. I couldn't stand the feeling of water/floating when I had to push so I got out and birthed on land.

Ditto.  I had actually planned on having a waterbirth.  But I got into transition and that was NOT happening.  Apparently my exit from the tub was pretty hasty.  Or as my husband says, "you FLEW out."  There I was, giant, completely wet, practically running to the bed across the tile of the bathroom and then onto the wood floor.  The midwives didn't even have time to dry me off.  Although, if I remember correctly, the coolness of the water on my skin felt lovely, especially before being completely drenched with sweat 10 minutes later...

Tubs are a nice option to have for labor, and for many women they're great for delivery too.  I'm personally of the opinion that I like to have lots of (natural) options, and no hard plans!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#15 of 29 Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 AM

With DD I labored on land and delivered her into the water....DS was born in the kitchen on land. Were I to do it again...I'd probably go for "on land". I don't know why...I like the idea of water better, I loved that DD was born into water, I think it is a really nice transition between the womb and the world...I don't know, I cant put my finger on why I don't like it as much! Something about being wet right after birth I guess? With my son, I like that I gave birth and then picked him straight up and went to lay down in warm blankets with him. There was no drying off or anything. I don't know, now that I've typed that, it seems kind of like a dumb reason!

I would recommend it, TRYING it, you know? I did like relaxing in the water with DD after she came out, that was nice, ALSO I loved being sort of "washed off" when I got out of the tub. I don't like showering after birth. To each her own!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#16 of 29 Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Ditto.  I had actually planned on having a waterbirth.  But I got into transition and that was NOT happening.  Apparently my exit from the tub was pretty hasty.  Or as my husband says, "you FLEW out."  There I was, giant, completely wet, practically running to the bed across the tile of the bathroom and then onto the wood floor.  The midwives didn't even have time to dry me off.  Although, if I remember correctly, the coolness of the water on my skin felt lovely, especially before being completely drenched with sweat 10 minutes later...

Tubs are a nice option to have for labor, and for many women they're great for delivery too.  I'm personally of the opinion that I like to have lots of (natural) options, and no hard plans!

LOL that was a great visual! :)

#17 of 29 Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post

With DD I labored on land and delivered her into the water....DS was born in the kitchen on land. Were I to do it again...I'd probably go for "on land". I don't know why...I like the idea of water better, I loved that DD was born into water, I think it is a really nice transition between the womb and the world...I don't know, I cant put my finger on why I don't like it as much! Something about being wet right after birth I guess? With my son, I like that I gave birth and then picked him straight up and went to lay down in warm blankets with him. There was no drying off or anything. I don't know, now that I've typed that, it seems kind of like a dumb reason!

I would recommend it, TRYING it, you know? I did like relaxing in the water with DD after she came out, that was nice, ALSO I loved being sort of "washed off" when I got out of the tub. I don't like showering after birth. To each her own!

that doesn't sound dumb that actually makes sense to me!

#18 of 29 Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:

Hey, AverysMomma, nice to "see" you again! How are you?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#19 of 29 Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 AM

With both my births I laboured for a time in water and then got out around transition. I just wanted the solid land feeling. I had ds in bed - there was just a plastic sheet under a towel and an washable absorbent pad (like a reuseable chux!) on top. Not messy at all (and my waters went right before he emerged).

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#20 of 29 Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Yes, this!  Even though I didn't want to birth in the water, I would recommend that you TRY it.  I know that I didn't set up a tub/pool with my second UC because I didn't think I'd need it (having only used it for about 30 minutes of labor with the first) and I ended up regretting it.  I would up laboring for an hour curled up in my tiny bathtub while DH poured water over the part of my belly that wouldn't fit under the water.  It was very soothing but would have been easier in a more suitable tub. 

This time I'm going to get one of those egg-shaped birth tubs, even though it will probably be just for labor.  The fishy pool was WAY TOO BIG for me to feel secure, which was especially horrible-feeling while in transition, but I definitely want something bigger than my bathtub. :D 

#21 of 29 Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 PM

I'm debating water birth or not. I hadn't thought of the hassle of set up and tear down. How do I keep my toddlers out of it? I'm' leaning towards skipping the water. Old tears and episiotomies worry me. I've heard water births are good for not tearing and I'm already shredded down there and worry an old cut will re open and become worse

#22 of 29 Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 PM

I had a dry land UC. Now, I think that water birth is probably one of the best things to happen to natural birth and I think that if a woman wants a water birth, she SHOULD do it and I think her decision is a good and intelligent one. I think it's great that so many women love water birth.

BUT, I have a personal take on it that gave me pause and caused me, ultimately, to choose not to get a pool and have a water birth.

First, I have to say that I am not a doctor (obviously) and not yet a midwife (I'm working my way toward it) so don't really pay much attention to what I have to say. These thoughts are pretty much just for me at this point, but some women I talk to agree with me, so it might be something just to think about.

I chose not to birth in water for several reasons, the first being that it's not natural. Humans were not meant to birth in water any more than monkeys, elephants or dogs. Now, this in and of itself isn't any reason not to do it, but what I considered is a fact that we know all too well and that is that birth is incredibly intricate and every single thing, no matter how unimportant it may seem to us at first, is incredibly important - usually so profoundly important that if you remove that step, everything else tumbles apart like a tower of blocks.

Could it be that cool air on the face during the tight squeeze or immediately at the birth is as important to the birth process as anything else? Could it be that this immediate shock of air as the blood rushes to the face is necessary? No one knows. There has never been any real study done on water birth. We only have water births because they can help reduce pain and because it seems more peaceful for the baby.

But is what appears to be more peaceful to the baby actually better for them? Is pain relief really better for the mother? When we hear the words "water birth is nature's epidural," how much do we really understand the gravity of that? We know that the pain relief that epidurals cause can slow or stall the progress of labor. In many cases, we also see this with water birth. The warm water can sometimes stall a labor. (Sometimes it seems to get labor going, but some mothers also seem to progress after having a spinal epidural, so there can be all kinds of experiences.)

And we also see in most cases that water-born babies do not often cry at the birth and many of them are slower to begin breathing. The parents say that this is because the birth was more peaceful because it was in water, but is what we see as "peaceful" really the lack of stimulus baby needed to begin breathing readily and properly on their own?

I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but neither does anyone else. All we have to go on is opinion so far. It was these thoughts and a lot of waffling over the idea that led me to finally decide: "okay, even if this really is better, it's not normal or natural and we don't know a lot about it so the real question is: do I NEED it? No? Then I'll do without, just like my great-grandmother and her mother before her and her mother before her and on an on, etc."

But that's just my psychotic thinking. winky.gif

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#23 of 29 Old 06-17-2011, 03:46 AM
Banned

i spent most of my labor on land, a bit of it in water.

like the PP, when the transition hit and it was time to go, i was out of the tub SO fast, and then onto the prepped place on the bed. I then did the hands-and-knees, sweating like crazy, screaming my head off, absolutely painless back bending business for however long, and birthed my son.

then, like a jack-rabbit, off like a flash back into the tub with the warm water and candle light. placenta came right out within a few minutes, got that into a bowl, put a warm towel over the baby, and then had some yogurt. 

DH helped me out of the tub (holding the baby's placenta bowl while I got out, giving me an arm to pull on), then helped me get my cozy bath robe on, and undies and mamacloth, and then *voila* into bed and right out to sleep.

#24 of 29 Old 06-17-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post

Could it be that cool air on the face during the tight squeeze or immediately at the birth is as important to the birth process as anything else? Could it be that this immediate shock of air as the blood rushes to the face is necessary? No one knows. There has never been any real study done on water birth. We only have water births because they can help reduce pain and because it seems more peaceful for the baby.

I know with both my water births the midwives mentioned that if I got out of the water after the baby crowned, then I needed to stay out, because the temperature change could trigger the baby to breath and could potentially breath in the water after that point, instead of the cool air trigger as I brought her up out of the birthing pool being the trigger to breath.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#25 of 29 Old 06-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post

I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but neither does anyone else. All we have to go on is opinion so far. It was these thoughts and a lot of waffling over the idea that led me to finally decide: "okay, even if this really is better, it's not normal or natural and we don't know a lot about it so the real question is: do I NEED it? No? Then I'll do without, just like my great-grandmother and her mother before her and her mother before her and on an on, etc."

This whole post was great!  The "do I NEED it" question becomes my motto during my pregnancies, this last one more than any other because it was UP as well.  I was flipping through the book Birthing from Within and didn't find much that interested me until I got to the section about "Do Nothing Extra".  It struck a chord within me and would constantly run through my head, especially when I would start wondering things like "should I get an ultrasound" or "should I do this or that, get this or that, just in case".  As long as whatever was in question felt like "extra" I could put it out of my mind until the time came (IF it came) that it no longer felt "extra".

I just had my third UC and I always felt a desperate need to be OUT of the water when things started getting serious.  The water, the thought of actually birthing in the water, made me feel less secure than being on dry land.  While I appreciate the various shades of "normal" during births (breech presentation, shoulder/cord issues, etc) and have always felt like I would know how to handle them if they arose, I didn't feel confident of being able to do the things I'd need to do while in the water.  Or while trying to get out of the water.  Since I UC, I have to feel like I am able to handle whatever birth throws at me.

If I had a few extra sets of hands during births, like midwives and doulas, I might feel differently about water birthing.    It just hasn't felt right for me so far.

#26 of 29 Old 06-25-2011, 04:53 AM

Wow, interesting thread! I didn't have water births and don't really plan on it in the future, though I've thought about it a lot, but I don't think it would be practical for us and that doesn't really bother me.  So it's just not something I'm set on.  I do labour a bit in the tub though.

#27 of 29 Old 07-05-2011, 03:20 PM

I'm glad this topic was started... I felt quite alone in my view of water birth! I tried it with my 3rd UC. We had moved to a house that had a jacuzzi tub and I thought, what the heck I'll give it a try! After all, everyone I talked to said how great it was. Well, that was not my experience! I greatly disliked the counter pressure. It just did not feel right. I also, like other posters, felt like I wasn't secure or "grounded". I like to sorta squat/lean over a bit during pushing. I guess to be on "top" of things? I don't know but I feel much more in control. As an added thing, my DD didn't have that "new baby smell" which I was REALLY looking forward to during that pregnancy....

I do believe a woman should do what she instinctively feels is best. I also agree with amberskyfire on a lot of what she wrote. The whole "the way nature/God intended" thing has always crossed my mind.

All in all, I would not do it again. I didn't feel nearly as clean sitting in the water afterwards either. Birth is messy, but sitting in floating fluids wasn't fun for me. Give me my uncleaned/undried off baby, but keep the rest on the chux/towels lol.gif!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#28 of 29 Old 07-06-2011, 09:57 AM

My first mw-assisted homebirth was a waterbirth.  I think I was still learning what my body does on its own, and as I had been laboring in the water, and it was an induced labor (castor oil), and the midwives were "observing" me, it was 3 in the morning, and I just didn't move.  But the one thing I've always said about that birth is that I just didn't feel like I had anything sturdy to push against.  The walls are just inflated with air!  I had nothing firm, solid, whatever,  that allowed me to brace myself against the forces of pushing.  I have not birthed in water again in the three births since, and I think the only way I would consider it again is if I had a jacuzzi tub, one made of solid material.  Our old house had a garden tub, which I did labor in for the last two births, my UCs, but it was a very narrow oval shape, and didn't really give me enough room to be free to position myself how I needed to.  Too small, unfortunately.  All my births since that one waterbirth have been hands and knees, supported by my couch or my bed.

So my personal opinion is the water is amazing for labor.  I wouldn't labor without it, and since where we live now we have a standard small shower tub, I will be setting up a birth pool.  I don't really see myself birthing in it though, again because it is inflatable.

And I have to agree with the previous posters that I did feel somewhat skeevy laying in that water immediately after birth.  It got messy quick.  But it is nice to have the pool already filled for use during labor, get out to birth, then get back in with baby after the placenta delivers to just....be.  Very nice.

#29 of 29 Old 07-06-2011, 05:23 PM

I didn't have a water birth for my UC with ds2, but I did really want one. I did have one for my UC with ds3 and I've already got my pool so I can have another with this baby if I want to. Or if I have time to fill a pool.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page