Kiddie pools - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, input, etc. on this? Please don't just call me vain-- that won't help!   :)  :P

You're so vain.... I bet you think this post is about you.... ROTFLMAO.gif I'm SORRY ElizabethE I just couldn't stop myself!

I don't think it's vain!! An aesthetic preference, and we all want happy candles and music we love and the opportunity to create our own ambiance to bring our little ones into this world... Part of the desire to UC, I feel! :) You know, considering the water and all that may or may not get on the items used to cover the fishies, I would probably shop around some thrift stores to see if I could find some sheets or blankets I liked before I did anything else... but maybe some painter's dropcloths? Not sure what they're made of or how much they cost though, just that they're frequently white.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#32 of 46 Old 02-03-2011, 01:50 PM

You know, until I read how they cleaned the whirlpool tub at the hospital posted in their sad little tub room, it never even crossed my mind that those whirlpools in hotels might not be cleaned like you'd hope. Ewww. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlethingstx View Post

I think that was enough to convince me to skip on the whirlpool tub.  ;)  Oh well, we'll save money, also. 

#33 of 46 Old 02-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Yeah, I was thinking a large white tarp -- you can use it as a liner but the sides would come out over the sides (because tarps are big) and then you could tuck it under the bottom of the pool. Know what I mean? That way you'd have white sides.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#34 of 46 Old 02-03-2011, 01:59 PM

(Chiming in with Tumble Bumbles here) And you could go ahead and put whatever types of blankets or what have you down inside the pool if you wanted, if the tarp wasn't quite as soft as you'd prefer... plus a tarp (presumably made out of something like canvas?) wouldn't be as absorbent as more standard linens.

#35 of 46 Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM

The one aspect I like about the fishie pool is that it's transparent so if you wanted video/pics of baby actually emerging (if you wind up giving birth in the tub) a flashlight can be pointed through it to get good shots -- from what I've seen on youtube videos, that is.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#36 of 46 Old 02-04-2011, 09:52 AM

Thanks ladies! I'm glad you understood my outlook on the aesthetics as not being simply superficial! And good ideas. It just might work... !

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#37 of 46 Old 02-04-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

Oh, a quick other note. This is kind of a vain point, so bear with me.

I am probably going to have my birth filmed or photographed, at least in part. I hate the little fishies on the side of the pool. Stupid, I know, but I wish it "looked cooler", you know? The only reasons I'm not getting the big expensive, more sophisticating looking birth pools are a) saving money and b) your recommendations made me realize that for comfort and all other factors, this fishy pool will probably be the one I'd prefer, too.

I was thinking about getting opaque tarps, or maybe lining the outside with towels, or a sheet, or something... to sort of mask the appearance of the fishies. Something soft and functional, I'm thinking, whether for cleanliness or padding or drying, etc., so that it would not be purely vain. My comfort (and peace) is still my first priority, over appearances.

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, input, etc. on this? Please don't just call me vain-- that won't help!   :)  :P

A thought popped in my mind that would be "pretty", I think.  Also, it would be plastic, so waterproof and could be lifted up easily to shine a light as one commenter suggested.  PARTY SKIRTING! Like they use for weddings, etc..  It is available in many colors, but probably easiest to acquire in white.  You could order it or buy it at places like Party City... maybe Michael's or Hobby Lobby.  I would just pull it tightly around the pool and secure it with a binder clip, heavy tape, etc.. To make sure it does not slip you could use some sort of double sided taping.  Also, when it is all done you can just toss it in the trash, if you want to. 

ElizabethE likes this.
#38 of 46 Old 02-06-2011, 12:12 AM

I used the exact same pool as the one pictured in the first post for DD2's birth last August.  I labored in the pool for a good four hours and was very comfortable.  I will say that hot water was added probably every 30-45 minutes for me.  Also, I jumped out at the very end (i.e. last five minutes) to birth because I couldn't get a good position in the pool with the sides being so soft and it being so deep.  I will definitely use it again for my next birth.

#39 of 46 Old 02-07-2011, 11:17 AM

Okay, so I ordered the fishy pool which was actually the one pictured in the very first post on this thread, off of Amazon. I got it from a seller who also has a site called PreciousArrows.com, which sells birth-related midwifery type stuff. Like a dummy I paid more on Amazon than if I just ordered through them, but maybe I saved on shipping? Whatever. I'm not calculating that right now. But....

I actually received a different pool. Same company (Intex), slightly different dimensions (give or take an inch here and there), and even the cartoon fishies which I hate are different. Here is a picture of what I received: pool.

I've mentioned this to the seller who assures me this is virtually the same exact thing and that it is the only pool that company is currently producing and it'll work fine. Since the differences are pretty subtle I feel that he is right in assuming this all should be a non-issue. But, I wanted to know if anyone here had any additional thoughts or input on this. Obviously it was a teensy bit unsettling to not get what was pictured or described as-promised, even if I feel ultimately it might not make a difference. :/ I'm 36 weeks today and wanted to feel certain I had the "right" thing, so, gah!

Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#40 of 46 Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM

I would be annoyed too. What are the actual dimensions? I personally prefer the round 60".

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#41 of 46 Old 02-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Yeah, this one is a teensy bit bigger and not as round-- almost a star shape.  What do we call that-- a pentagon? AAAAnyhooo, the dimensions on this one are listed as 75″ x 70″ x 24″.

#42 of 46 Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 PM

Just wondering if anyone has tried an electric blanket under the kiddie pool to keep it warm? If not, do you think it would be efficient? One less bucket of hot water would be one less worry during labor!

#43 of 46 Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela0307 View Post

Just wondering if anyone has tried an electric blanket under the kiddie pool to keep it warm? If not, do you think it would be efficient? One less bucket of hot water would be one less worry during labor!

Water and electricity? Um, probably NOT the best idea.
#44 of 46 Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Found this http://www.nurturedmother.ca/waterbirth.php is a good step by step how to on using the fishy pool.

I used the bigger fishy pool with my first and it worked out great, I ended up pushing on the bed(was a little too relaxed in the pool and labor slowed way down) but the help with the labor was great.  Also my water broke in the pool so that "mess" was contained, and it was obvious that it was clear.:)

I plan on buying a new fishy pool for this baby due in July. Then the kids will probably use it out in the yard the rest of the summer.

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#45 of 46 Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 AM

I am so glad I found this thread.  I just saved 200.00 by getting the kiddie pool for 30.00 from inhishands.com instead of renting a birth tub.  Thank you so much for posting this!!!

#46 of 46 Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

I had my second UC in a kiddie pool. I bought some cheap one from walmart for like 8 bucks. It was definitely wide enough although the one I picked I think was only like 18 or maybe 22 inches deep....I can't remember. I remember it was three rings deep...but the rings were not big rings. All I know is that it definitely could have been deeper. The water didn't cover my belly completely....so I found myself trying to lay down in the water but still my belly was barely covered.....which somewhat defeats my purpose for me water birthing. I intended to keep for reuse but it was very cheaply made. It was emptied by being drug outside and dumped and rinsed. So basically it become disposable...which I hated the waste but thankfully money wise it wasn't much I lost out on.
Just FYI- Intex brand makes cheap and very thin plastic. I have had several kiddie pools (including my first pool I birthed in), rafts, and pool accessories of this brand and even though  it is nice that they are cheaply priced...they are also cheaply made. Not a single pool made it more than one season and sometimes they didn't make it setting out in the elements for more than a couple of weeks (not that that pertains to waterbirth). Although with that being said, I am still planning to buy a cheap pool....so far made my intex....but I don't expect it to last more than for my birthing. So that may be something to bare in mind. =)

This time I am looking into one on amazon for about 30 dollars that is deeper than my first  and bigger in general and has some good reviews for water birthing.

In regards to filling with air, I had an electric pump (like for an air mattress) it blew it up so quickly it was awesome!

I would not suggest putting water in the pool more than a day or so ahead of time.....as I made that mistake and it got all slimy and I had to empty and re-wash it to use it. Thankfully I have always known the day before that I Will deliver the next, so with this last UC, I filled it half full the night before......but unfortunately it was too chilly for me to be comfy in the morning even though it had set overnight....we had to bucket warm water in....and honestly I never got it to the temp I Really wanted. 
I had bought a new hose for like 11 bucks from walmart.....rinsed and cleaned it thoroughly and this is what we filled it with. We had an adapter to use for the faucet but for some reason it didn't work and we had to end up hooking it up to the hose outside the house.........which only gave me cold water.....so any warm water had to be dumped in via a bucket....which was slow going. Always make sure everything works ahead of time!

My first UC was in a standard bath tub. I put towels on the bottom to make it more comfy. It helped...but it still wasn't the most comfy thing in the world. I did enjoy being able to add warm water easily...but I had to continuley drain water as I filled the tub so the tub wouldn't over flow. And of course it wasn't quite deep enough either. Plus I hated that I had to clean it before I got in because the tub is used daily and I wanted it fresh and clean for my water birth. Also given that there can be a lot of debre in the tub after the birth.....a lot of that stuff shouldn't go down the drain....so I had to kind of catch it before it went down the drain (after I had the baby and was going to wash off).

My birthing center birth was in a corner jacuzzi....it was a bit too deep for me to feel comfy in......but the water could have been just less full...but obviously I wasn't the one that filled it.....and I am barely 5 ft...so I am pretty short.....so I sort of felt like if I relaxed I would drown and when my baby was born I kept handing him to the midwife and she kept handing him back....but I felt like I was going to drown him if I tried to hold him in the water!

I think I like deep kiddie pool best. =)

Oh and I put a tarp under the pool to contain any splashes and such.

In regards to electric blanket...I haven't tried that....although I did try a heating pad...and honestly I couldn't even tell it was there. I planned on trying to use my water bed heater....but I haven't figured out how to make that work with what I Am wanting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page