Honest mistake gone wrong - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was unaware of the drug testing for babies because i had no reason to know. However; I fell and hurt the knee i had surgery on and got some painkillers from my sister so i could work my last week of work. Then i told my obgyn about what happened and he said he would be testing the baby i'm guessing the meconium, and if it is in the babies system he will get taken away. I'm 36 weeks pregnant there time is running out! What should/can i do. Honest mistake is ruining my life. Need advice

#2 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM

Go to your doctor and get your own prescription. It is never a good idea to take a prescription drug that is not prescribed to you. How do you know that the one you are taking is safe during pregnancy? Stop taking whatever it was you got from your sister. It might leave your system before the baby is born.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#3 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Like the OP said, get a doctor to write you a script, then you will not have any worries.

BUT, as long as you make it to 38 weeks it will be out of your system totally anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. it only stays in 5-7 days, but after 2 weeks there's no chance it will still be there. They usually test you, I didn't know theyntested the baby unless you test positive. Unless you are premature, it will be fine. really. sit

Get a script though.
#4 of 8 Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 PM

And painkillers, the ones that could get you in trouble (opiates) are not dangerous for the baby if you are not abusing them. if they are other painkillers, don't worry at all, they only test for opiates like vicodin and oxycontins.
#5 of 8 Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Never take ANY drug while pregnant without talking to your doctor!

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#6 of 8 Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 PM

But an article I read on the internet said that drugs are in the baby's meconium for several months. That is the fear OP is having.

Perhaps if there is less than a certain amount in the baby's meconium, it will not be considered harmful enough for them to take action.

Could you call the dr who did your surgery and ask advice? (You know him better than I do; trust your "gut".)

#7 of 8 Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Are you planning an unassisted birth?

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#8 of 8 Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM

I was wondering if she might consider that and directed her here - not sure if she understood my intentions, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page