Mamas that have had an "oops" on purpose.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Did you call your midwife or OB after the baby was born and go to birth center/hospital to get checked out?

I ask because I am considering an "oops". I love my midwives and birth center but I am feeling a strong urge to birth alone in my own home.

ElizabethE and ElizabethE like this.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 01-26-2011, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I never did, but I never felt any need to...

photosmile2.gif  M~ Mother to 1 GentlemanREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 Ladies blahblah.gif, thumbsuck.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, whistling.gif, energy.gif and 1 More Gentleman 1sttri.gif arriving in May, + 2 dog2.gifdog2.gif, and a rat hamster.jpg to add to the fun.

novaxnocirc.gif     cd.gif        treehugger.gif       goorganic.jpg       lactivist.gif       uc.jpg       bfinfant.gif      
#3 of 29 Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 PM

I wanted to oops with my second but I didn't have a place to birth at since I was with uncooperative in-laws.

I plan to oops with this baby and look forward to seeing any answers. I think someone wrote a similar question a while back and basically they recommended not going in if you are all healthy and fine. I guess they may hassle you when you get there, but I guess that depends on the caregiver. I am using a hospital midwife group for prenatal care at the moment and after I oops, I will give a call when I feel up to it to let them know what happened (oops baby came too fast.) And then tell them we're fine (hopefully) and I will set up an appointment for my baby to see our family doctor and I will be unlikely to set up a 6 week checkup with them. When I had my second son in Romania, they don't even suggest a 6 week checkup. It's unheard of. I think it's just another thing that we're all roped into doing. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#4 of 29 Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. I definitely can't imagine the midwives hassling me, especially since I had a very fast labor last time and barely made it there as it was. It probably wouldn't seem too odd for me to not make it in. It would seriously tick me off that *anyone* would get hassled.

I do look forward to seeing more answers. :)

ElizabethE likes this.

#5 of 29 Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 PM

I have been considering the "oops" scenario myself.  I had my last baby at home. I had a midwife, but she didn't make it in time. I birth very fast.  This time around, we just can't afford a midwife. It's as plain as that.  Even if we could afford one, I doubt she would get here in time.  My midwife woud literally have to live within a 20 minute distance to have a reasonable chance of making it to my house.  The hospital where I could go because my insurance covers me there, is right across the street.  I could birth there, but I just don't want to. Once you've had a birth at home, it's sooooo hard to go back!   Still, ideally, I'd rather have someone with some training around and I'd especially like to have someone deal with the cord and afterbirth. I just don't want to do any of that.   So, in my mind, I thought I could "accidently" give birth at home with my husband and kids  (my husband has no problem with it.....he was the only one in attendance at the last two births...I didn't make it to the hospital with number 2 either!) , then call the hospital to let them know I'm coming in for them to do the rest, then I figured I'd stay for a few hours and then ask to go home.   I'm still mulling it all over and working out the details.  I do plan to ask if my insurance (Tricare) will cover a homebirth, but in my area, I highly doubt it and if they did one of those deals where we have to pay up front and they reimburse us, then it's out anyway because like I said, we just can't afford it........it's frustrating.   

ElizabethE likes this.

:
#6 of 29 Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM

One thing though, if you go to the hospital after you oops, I wouldn't bring the baby if you can help it.  Of the midwives and doulas I've talked to many hospitals will treat that baby with every precaution in the book since it wasn't birthed in a sterile environment.  That is not my experience, just what I've heard.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#7 of 29 Old 01-27-2011, 01:36 PM

I suppose it depends on the hospital.  I had my second child in the car on the way to the hospital ( a most un-sterile environment, I assure you!) and I don't recall them doing anything out of the ordinary with the baby.  It might have been that I was so aggressive about keeping her with me and not allowing them to take her anywhere or to wash her, etc.  I have a feeling that in some hospitals, once they sense that you are prefer a "hands-off" approach from the staff and know what you're doing that they back off.  Still, it's something to keep in mind.  That was just my one experience. 

Now, another thing to consider is the policy they have to keep you there the whole 2 days or whatever it is.  The military hospital told me I could not go home sooner than two days unless I signed that "against doctors orders" paper.  They did make me feel upset about that.  The last thing you want on such a special day is to feel that kind of tension and disapproval from people who thing you are making a "bad medical decision" as though you're a bad parent! 

ElizabethE likes this.

:
#8 of 29 Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM

We are expecting #6 at the end of July and we too are throwing around the idea of "oops' didn't make it.  I had the last 3 at home and its SO HARD to think about going to a hosptial. I really do like the midwife I"m seeing nad she pretty much is letting me do (or not do) whatever I want, but I still am not sure if when in labor I will be okay with riding in a car for an hour.  That all being said, I have no plans on going in to get checked out or the baby checked out the day or night of the birth.  To me, that defeats the purpose.  My Dh will know how to clean up and what to do with the placenta etc because we've had 3 at home. I might call the midwife just as a courtesy (not immediately though, i don't think) to let her know that "oops we miss it".  She already has asked a few times if I will make it, so she won't be surprised.   Or not.....

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#9 of 29 Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Isn't it amazing how each hospital is so different?  My midwife at the hospital I'm supposed to show up at, said I *HAVE* to stay 4 hours.  If I leave before then I have to sign papers!!! I was blown away, I was totally thinking it was 2 days or at least 24 hours.

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#10 of 29 Old 01-28-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

One thing though, if you go to the hospital after you oops, I wouldn't bring the baby if you can help it.  Of the midwives and doulas I've talked to many hospitals will treat that baby with every precaution in the book since it wasn't birthed in a sterile environment.  That is not my experience, just what I've heard.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gifZephyr (3/26/09) and babyboy.gif Nico (11/7/10)  <---- I'm a vegetarian mom too, and I LOVE your children's names! They're actually on my list. Also, I have a March 2009 baby boy too (I assumed your Zephyr was a boy), and your Nico was born right around my birthday. That's all. I just thought that was very cool.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#11 of 29 Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 AM

At my second hospital birth, the one where it was an at-home turned transfer with midwives, they actually asked if I wanted to leave early because they knew I was an intended home birth. I actually didn't want to. I was enjoying recovering and being pampered, and they weren't doing anything invasive with the baby or anything I was against, so I was a little reluctant to leave. But, I left a day early, I think it was. I needed the recovery though, 'cause the experience had been hard on me AND I was actually in pain.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#12 of 29 Old 01-28-2011, 07:24 AM

I did not have or plan an oops, but just wanted to reply about the consideration of not bringing your baby in if you go to get checked out. Unfortunately all hospitals are different, so you just can't know what the best thing to do is. I had a midwife-assisted home birth, and I went to the hospital afterwards to get stitched up. I did not bring my baby - I was afraid of what they would do to her. Turned out ok, but I did hear that they were really concerned about it and were considering reporting it. I guess their concern was that I'd obviously just ahad a baby, and where was she? Like maybe I'd had a stillbirth I wasn't reporting (yeah, like someone as high as I was - I was seriously happy - had a dead baby at home). Or maybe something even more sinister I don't even want to consider. Well, it turned out ok for me to not bring my baby, but even that may be a gamble of sorts.

If I had a homebirth again, whether an oops or with a midwife, I think I would call my local visiting nurse organization and have one come by the next day. Then I would feel like I had my butt covered medically, but also have a good amount of control (a visiting nurse isn't going to start ABX on my baby without my knowledge and consent, for example). I'm sure this isn't a solution for everyone, but my experience with the visiting nurse when DD had jaundice led me to feel this was an ok move. But I'm sure even so, you could end up with a bully for a nurse that forces you to go to the hospital or calls CPS.

There are no clear answers, and that's a huge problem in this country. If our choices are: use the medical model, opt out and hide, or opt out and be subject to retaliation by the medical model if you want/need them, that can lead to bad choices. What if you had a concern but didn't get checked out because you were afraid of what the hospital would do with your baby? What if you didn't go, but your baby needed help? What if you did go, and they did all kinds of things to punish you? I hate the idea of having a home birth and having to plot my best move to cover my butt while simultaneously being afraid. I should be able to take my unassisted or assisted home birthed child into the doc, or call a visiting nurse, without a thought if I wanted to. And I should be able to not bother if I thought there was no need for it.

ElizabethE likes this.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#13 of 29 Old 01-28-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

I think that in my situation, things are a little different because it's a freestanding birth center. When I had my youngest there, I went home in 6 hours. They sent one of their nurses to my home the next day to do the newborn tests, check on me (bleeding, uterus, etc..) and see how breastfeeding was going.

I never knew that hospitals could be so horrible with their policies! I would be so upset if I went there and they told me I had to stay 2 days! Eeek!

#14 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
 When I had my second son in Romania, they don't even suggest a 6 week checkup. It's unheard of. I think it's just another thing that we're all roped into doing. 

This is primarily to do postpartum pap smears and do any emotional checking in that seems appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholic74 View Post

Still, ideally, I'd rather have someone with some training around and I'd especially like to have someone deal with the cord and afterbirth. I just don't want to do any of that.   So, in my mind, I thought I could "accidently" give birth at home with my husband and kids  (my husband has no problem with it.....he was the only one in attendance at the last two births...I didn't make it to the hospital with number 2 either!) , then call the hospital to let them know I'm coming in for them to do the rest,

The cord typically separates within 5 minutes of so after the birth, so would you really be able to make it in? In my experience, interfering with the placenta's expulsion can actually create excess bleeding. I understand wanting the support in the process, definitely, but by the time you welcome your baby and come back to center you're placenta will probably be sitting above your cervix waiting to be pushed out.

#15 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 05:33 PM

I have been present at four "oops" births as a doula. (These were genuine accidents, not secretly planned). For what it is worth, two of them went into the hospital to get checked afterwards, and regretted it. The other two stayed home, and were happy with their decision. 

dayiscoming2006 likes this.
#16 of 29 Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gifZephyr (3/26/09) and babyboy.gif Nico (11/7/10)  <---- I'm a vegetarian mom too, and I LOVE your children's names! They're actually on my list. Also, I have a March 2009 baby boy too (I assumed your Zephyr was a boy), and your Nico was born right around my birthday. That's all. I just thought that was very cool.

Aww thanks!  Yes Zephyr is a boy. :)

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#17 of 29 Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 AM

I had a planned UC, so I didn't have a midwife.

And I definitely didn't go to the hospital after the birth.  They would have freaked out, especially because one of my twins was only 4 lbs, 2 oz.  Lol.

Anyway, it didn't even cross my mind to go to the hospital after the birth.  I felt like everything was just fine, I certainly didn't feel good enough to get up, and I most definitely didn't want to cart my tiny twins out in the cold.

Although, since my mom called the cops on me that night, some EMT's showed up eventually.  I did let them look at us (not touch), and they said we all looked great...

Other than that, I brought the girls to a pediatrician at one week of age, and just scheduled a 6-week postpartum checkup for myself.  We all checked out fine.

#18 of 29 Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 PM

I'm considering an "ooops" this time.  I'll give the prenatal clinic I've been seeing a call to let them know I've given birth & to cancel my next appointment, but barring any emergency that necessitates going to the hospital, I'll just scheduled a check up for baby & I with our family doctor a few weeks later.  I'll probably need to contact Public Health for the PKU before that, though.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#19 of 29 Old 02-07-2011, 06:17 AM

I oopsed with my daughter Rosaline and it went well.  I just called a couple days after the birth and let my doctor know that I wouldn't be at my 38 week check up because my daughter came two days before.  I assured her that all went well and that I was fine, and that there was no reason to come in to the hospital because we were all happy and healthy and doing fine.  She was surprised, but eventually just congratulated me and told me to call if I needed anything.  I went in about a week later just to have her check me out and just take a look at the baby.  They were fine about the whole thing, and going in was sort of a formality. 

This happened in China though - and being an expat here... you can generally get away with some things because people expect expats to do strange things. 

ElizabethE likes this.

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

#20 of 29 Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 PM

When I was working at an Ob's office, we had several patients that had routine care with us and then just simply never went to the hospital for the birth. Usually they called a few days after the baby was born and said they had a homebirth and all is well. No big deal.

With my last pregnancy, I sought routine care with a group of hospital-based midwives. Around 30 weeks, I let them know I was considering a homebirth. They just said to keep them informed and that was that. At 37 weeks, I called them and cancelled my last 2 appointments, then called them again after the baby was born. I did go for a 6 week checkup because I was feeling like the postpartum depression was starting again. They were so happy that I got my VBAC on my own terms and in my own house. There were no hard feelings at all.

I don't think there is any reason to go in and get checked out right away unless there is a pressing medical issue. I did bring DD to the doc 2 days after she was born because he is super homebirth friendly and I needed a medical record for her to send off for the birth certificate. He looked at her, asked how breastfeeding was going, said "congratulations" and sent me on my way. I love him.

I would think that if you stay home to birth, then stay home unless there is an emergency. All will work out just fine!!

ElizabethE likes this.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#21 of 29 Old 02-12-2011, 10:07 AM

I really am leaning to a opps.....but here is my dilema...help me think this out.

I live in Mexico along the Mexico/Texas border. I live about 10-15 min from Texas.

I am going to a free standing birth center in texas for prenatal care.

i had my last baby at home in the USA with a midwife and she was awesome... hands off...with everything, she showed up 30 min before baby came. It was a water birth.

This is baby #5 for me and I really want to just stay at home. I have not been able to find a midwife that will come to Mexico nor have i found a midwife in mexico.

The only problem i forsee is this....if i opps...how hard will it be to get the babies paper work to cross the baby over into the US. What if there is an emergency...and i need to take baby into the US for medical care....i would not want to take baby to a hospital here in Mexico...i've had not so good expierences here in Mexico with hospitals and doctors.

I will need to go through alot of stress to get the babies passport and papers to take him/her into the US.

This really is the only reason i would cross over to go to the birth center.

Im not sure what info the US embassy would need if the baby came here on the Mexico side at home!

I can not find much information on that.

There is info out there for a hospital birth abroad...but not homebirth abroad.

Any ideas mama's?

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#22 of 29 Old 02-12-2011, 03:49 PM

Hi. I have been trying to figure out the same thing because my husband's family live in nuevo laredo and I want to go stay with his mom and sister so I'd have more help at the end of my pregnancy. They seem to think finding someone to attend the birth wouldn't be that difficult, but if you are in a smaller city maybe it would be hard. The possibility of lots of paperwork also concerns me. All I could find out was that they have a form to fill out if you birth at a hospital. Right now I'm in minnesota so I can only check on the internet and I'm gonna ask my mom in law to go to the immigration office and ask there. So I guess right now I don't know any more than you, but I can let you know when I find out. With security at the border being so tight these days I am imagining a great big pain in the butt of paperwork. Lets hope it's not that bad.

Best wishes,

Zaci

#23 of 29 Old 02-13-2011, 06:50 AM

With my last kiddo, I birthed in Romania and I was concerned about the same thing if I had chosen or been able to give birth at home and could not find any information for a home birth. I went to the hospital there as a result. That totally sucked, but if you have a decent place to go, I'd do that over dealing with all that paperwork. All that stuff is a big pain and not something anyone wants to have to deal with after having a baby. I'm curious to find out what the PP finds out from her mom-in-law. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#24 of 29 Old 02-13-2011, 07:37 AM

For moms in other countries...i gave birth unassisted in Japan. I needed a report of live birth from the city I lived in (I'm sure each country has an equvilent and process to get one) translated into English to give the US consulate in Japan (along with prenatal records and proof that I had given birth, I got a letter from my FP) to obtain a "US Consulate Certificate of Birth Abroad."  So I would think your first step is to ask the goverment office in the areas you want to birth in what they need from you if you have a homebirth in regards getting something offical that says you've given birth. Then I would call the closest US Consulate and ask them what they need in the way of documentation if you have a homebirth in that country. Then make sure that you have copies of your prenatal records with you when you give birth, and that you either film the birth or make sure you get a picture of the baby attached to the placenta before you birth the placenta (yes, it's a graphic picture, lol) because if you are birthing without an attendant, the biggest thing that you have to prove to the consulate and host government is that you gave birth, as opposed to stealing some newborn.

I know that I was unable to leave Japan until I had a passport for the baby, which I couldn't get until I had that certificate from the consulate, so I imagine the same would be true for you in Mexico. It took a little over 2 months, if I remember correctly, but I was also in a place where the process of getting passports for US babies runs like a well oiled machine (many babies born in a US hospital in that area). My personal hurdles took an extra 2 weeks or so. I would think that in your situations it might take longer to get the passports, though like anything, the Consulate can rush the process if they see fit.

Good Luck!

ElizabethE likes this.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#25 of 29 Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 AM

Neuvo Laredo is probably not a good place to be hanging out waiting for a baby right now. We live in Reynosa and it's very hostile between NL and the gulf coast. It's under war between the 2 cartels. My husband can not cross over into the US.....so that's another issue...if i do go to the birth center....he will not be at the birth. But again...i'm not sure how he would handle seeing me in labor...he's not to good with stressful situations and it may be more stressful on me in the long run.

I can not wait 2 months to cross over into the US.

So much can happen in 2 months time.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#26 of 29 Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Ponnie, things might be different for you though. Is DH a mexican national? How does that affect your baby's citizenship? If baby is entitled to both, he would get Mexican documentation much faster, I would think, and be able to come over the border with that. Right?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#27 of 29 Old 02-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Going into the birthing center after the baby is born, is that an option? I don't think it was with mine - they said if you have the baby on the highway or something, you need to call 911... Only if hte baby is born in their parking lot can they take care of us, if anywhere else, nope, hospital or not going in at all...

That being said, I liked my birthing center birth, they didn't pressure me into anything and it was very hands-off. I was happy to be there though after all as DD had amniotic fluid in her lungs and their nurse (former NICU) knew exactly what to do to get it out (DD turned blue twice within 4 hours). Ok, if I had planned a homebirth/UC I probably would have read up upon such issues, but I had no idea and felt incredibly helpless and glad that that nurse was there to reassure me it was ok and got DD to throw up all the fluid and be fine...
As for going in after the birht, I would leave baby at home. It's not worth it, you never know how your local hospital reacts... And you only need to get in if the placenta isn't coming/retained or you actually need to be stitched up. I felt held hostage on two occasions with DS (I was bullied into a hospital stay for him at 3 weeks for a slight fever and then he had croup at 18 months and needed some nebulizer treatments but they kept us for 4 days and I really wanted home)... They just tend to keep you which is annoying.

#28 of 29 Old 02-13-2011, 02:45 PM

As I said earlier, I had my baby in China unassisted.  We were also worried about the birth certificate/passport issue.  We tried to get a certificate issued by the hospital where we got our prenatal care, but they couldn't do it unless the baby had been born there.  The doctor did write an attestation to my pregnancy and birth though (in English - I assisted :)), which we submitted when we applied for the Citizen Report of Birth Abroad at the US Consulate here.  We also tried to get a birth certificate issued by our city authority here, but they also refused because we had the baby at home.  With the one-child policy, homebirth is pretty much illegal, as the gov't here doesn't want undocumented 2nd children being born at home.  

Each country's political and legal situation is different, but we figured (correctly) that the US Consulate here would issue the CRBA.  We are obviously white, native English speakers with a very plausible (and true) birth story of having our baby at home.  We videotaped the birth, took pictures, and had our friends write attestations to our daughter's birth.  We also told them during our interview that our older son was also born at home when we lived in the US.  It was not complicated, but we were nervous and hopeful that there wouldn't be any problems!  

Our daughter was 1 month old when she had her passport - the process was very fast. 

If you are nervous about being able to access adequate care right after the birth - you may need to think carefully about that - for us I know it would have been very complicated to get our daughter out of the country in case of emergency.  However, I would have worked every contact I had to do so, and I imagine that we would have been able to get her out if push came to shove.  

Good luck!  PM me if you have any questions about the process.  I'm a pro at this point!

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

#29 of 29 Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post

I have been present at four "oops" births as a doula. (These were genuine accidents, not secretly planned). For what it is worth, two of them went into the hospital to get checked afterwards, and regretted it. The other two stayed home, and were happy with their decision. 

This really does make me feel so much better about my decision to have a UC. I always thought I'd be home with a midwife during the birth of my baby (this is #1) but I got pregnant a bit sooner than we had anticipated and now paying for that homebirth is impossible. The idea of a hospital birth, howevere, has given me 2 full blown panic attacks already! I have an HMO so I wouldn't even necessarily get the CNM I've been seeing (who is so forceful about doppler and u/s that I don't trust her much anyhow). I have NO risk factors for ANYTHING, am healthy, do yoga, eat well, and am very in tuned with my body, so I feel like going to the hospital would be far more risky than just laying low and doing it at home. Definately NOT going to get checked out after the birth (unless there's a medical need, of course), seems like it would defeat the purpose.

Thanks for all the great stories ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

When I was working at an Ob's office, we had several patients that had routine care with us and then just simply never went to the hospital for the birth. Usually they called a few days after the baby was born and said they had a homebirth and all is well. No big deal.

With my last pregnancy, I sought routine care with a group of hospital-based midwives. Around 30 weeks, I let them know I was considering a homebirth. They just said to keep them informed and that was that. At 37 weeks, I called them and cancelled my last 2 appointments, then called them again after the baby was born. I did go for a 6 week checkup because I was feeling like the postpartum depression was starting again. They were so happy that I got my VBAC on my own terms and in my own house. There were no hard feelings at all.

I don't think there is any reason to go in and get checked out right away unless there is a pressing medical issue. I did bring DD to the doc 2 days after she was born because he is super homebirth friendly and I needed a medical record for her to send off for the birth certificate. He looked at her, asked how breastfeeding was going, said "congratulations" and sent me on my way. I love him.

I would think that if you stay home to birth, then stay home unless there is an emergency. All will work out just fine!!

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page