Needing a "doctor's note" and UPing, wwyd? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So there is this prenatal aquatics class I would like to try but it absolutely requires a doctor's note of approval before allowing registration. Something like this never occured to me when I decided to UP! I contacted thhe CNM I was seeing earlier in the pregnancy and she won't do it because of liability. Has anyone figured out a way around something like this? The class is based at a hospital so they are sticklers for the rules. And its the only one I have found in my area (besides the YMCA and I can't go there because we are currently disputing a bill from them and it may actually end up in court...long story).

Anyways... any ideas, mamas?

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#2 of 22 Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Hmmm maybe if you have a pregnant friend you could have her get the note then go has her ? I mean I've never had anyone check Id for a class like prenatal yoga or whatever ? Short of that I think you would need to see a doc or midwife and that's a lot of work for a class
#3 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 06:18 AM

If it were me, I'd say oh well and skip the class. 

I finally tried my prenatal pilates dvd and I'm loving it. I feel so dumb for not having started it much earlier. 

Even that dvd says, make sure to get approval from a doc before starting any exercise program. Liability thing. :) At least with a dvd, you can tell it to shut up and do whatever you want. lol.gif

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#4 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Banned

I'd at least talk to someone at the registration department and tell them the situation. That you're willing to draft/sign a release of liability or whatever. I, however, get off on this sort of engagement with people as far as gently promoting birth options..."Hey, I'm a people too and I'd like to take the class. Can you help me?" kind of thing. 

#5 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 AM

For me, it'd be a concern about getting reported to CPS or something as ridiculous as that would be. I wouldn't openly disclose my lack of prenatal care or choice to UC. But, that is up to you.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#6 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am probably biased, but I would be inclined to find a friendly attorney to write a waiver for you to sign and present to the registrar. Certainly a lawyer can't say anything that you can't say for yourself, but sometimes when you bring a lawyer into the conversation it has...ahem... magical effects. smile.gif
#7 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 PM

I keep thinking about it I mean it sound like this is important to you your could forge a signature or make up a doc

#8 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the reason I wanted to do the aquatics is because my reflux is sooooooo bad that yoga and pilates is just not working for me - there are too many positions that require you to bend over/bend down and every time I go into down dog or cat/cow, I get the reflux barf in the back of my throat.

I called our local park district that has very inexpensive lap swim and asked the pool attendant about it and he said that lap swim is very popular and that if anyone noticed I was pregnant I would need a note for that, too. I think by telling me it is popular, he was really saying, "so your slow, pregnant body probably won't be able to keep up with the regulars."

Oh well. I think I will probably forgo it. My SIL is a doctor and would probably write me a note, but then I would have to have another uncomfortable conversation about my decision to UC and I don't have the energy for it!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#9 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

So..hmm.. how closely are they going to look at this note anyway? Office Letterhead? What if you just scrawled out a note something like, "I, as ____(your name) prenatal care provider, have deemed her healthy and eligible to participate in [activity]" Then sign your name. Its not really lying, YOU are your prenatal care provider :P How sloppy is your signature anyway? Are they going to notice? Will whoever is signing you up just glance briefly at it, see permission and a signature, file it away, and sign you up? 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#10 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 PM

I would make one myself. I do my own "pregnancy confirmation note". No one has ever questioned my note. I am my care provider and be darned if I cannot sign myself off on anything related to it.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#11 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)

I would read "popular" as "crowded".  DH did lap swim at the local public pool for a while, and on Saturdays it was crazy - tons of people.  Keeping up wasn't so much an issue as finding space.

However, for stuff like this, I think it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.  Actually, I take that back, I think it's easier to just go swimming, and behave as though anyone who asks you for a doctor's note is nuts.  Because they kind of are.  They're going to have the lifeguard ask you for a doctor's note?  Seriously?  Seriously?  They think anyone has the time to go bugging their doctor for generic notes authorizing them to go about the normal activities of daily life while pregnant?  You don't need a doctor's note to grocery shop, or run after (and carry!) your other kids, or clean your house - higher impact activities in which you are more likely to strain or injure yourself than swimming.  Further, it is an affront to your dignity and privacy that you are being asked to provide private medical information to anyone not involved in your care,or to anyone who does not understand the degree of confidentiality such information should be treated with, just so that you can carry on with your daily life.

But on a more practical note, if anyone asks you if you're pregnant, you can always just look offended or grief stricken (take your pick) and say that you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Yeah, the reason I wanted to do the aquatics is because my reflux is sooooooo bad that yoga and pilates is just not working for me - there are too many positions that require you to bend over/bend down and every time I go into down dog or cat/cow, I get the reflux barf in the back of my throat.

I called our local park district that has very inexpensive lap swim and asked the pool attendant about it and he said that lap swim is very popular and that if anyone noticed I was pregnant I would need a note for that, too. I think by telling me it is popular, he was really saying, "so your slow, pregnant body probably won't be able to keep up with the regulars."

Oh well. I think I will probably forgo it. My SIL is a doctor and would probably write me a note, but then I would have to have another uncomfortable conversation about my decision to UC and I don't have the energy for it!!

#12 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 PM

I guess it could be worth a try to make your own note up. Or, just sign off liability or something. Those were good ideas. 

#13 of 22 Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 PM

i absolutely second

a) to write your own note with an illegible signature,

and

b) to act outright offended at the notion that you are pregnant. that should keep them from any further harrassment!!

good luck, stand strong in what you want to do. swimming is a fantastic excercise while pregnant. no gravity, relaxation, avoiding the reflux issue, further bonding with baby by being in 'the water state.' 

i would gladly sign a note for you!

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#14 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM

Do you have a chiropractor? He/she's a Dr and might sign for you.

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#15 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJennifer View Post

Do you have a chiropractor? He/she's a Dr and might sign for you.

Hmmm... I haven't seen one this pregnancy but this reminded me that my FIL is an MD who has a holistic/homeopathic clinic and is supportive of my decision to UC. He is a bit intense to deal with, but i know he would help out. It would mean going to see him for a visit, though, and it is a 2 hour drive. I will have to think about this one.

I may just end up writing my own note and seeing what happens. I mean, why not. What's the worst they can do - say no?
dayiscoming2006 likes this.

#16 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 01:58 PM

I would sign your name followed by HB for human being
#17 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM

Have any of you who are suggesting writing a note yourself ever done this before? 

I mean it sounds like a good idea. I am just wondering if it has ever been done before. 

#18 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just went to regular water aerobics classes where they don't ask for it.

#19 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM

Here we can't write our own note, because there is a form that has to be filled out.  But if I do regular (non-prenatal) water aerobics or swimming, nobody asks me for anything.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#20 of 22 Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 AM

I am going to have to poke my YMCA and see if there is a form or if I can just use a note... 

#21 of 22 Old 03-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

I would read "popular" as "crowded".  DH did lap swim at the local public pool for a while, and on Saturdays it was crazy - tons of people.  Keeping up wasn't so much an issue as finding space.

However, for stuff like this, I think it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.  Actually, I take that back, I think it's easier to just go swimming, and behave as though anyone who asks you for a doctor's note is nuts.  Because they kind of are.  They're going to have the lifeguard ask you for a doctor's note?  Seriously?  Seriously?  They think anyone has the time to go bugging their doctor for generic notes authorizing them to go about the normal activities of daily life while pregnant?  You don't need a doctor's note to grocery shop, or run after (and carry!) your other kids, or clean your house - higher impact activities in which you are more likely to strain or injure yourself than swimming.  Further, it is an affront to your dignity and privacy that you are being asked to provide private medical information to anyone not involved in your care,or to anyone who does not understand the degree of confidentiality such information should be treated with, just so that you can carry on with your daily life.

But on a more practical note, if anyone asks you if you're pregnant, you can always just look offended or grief stricken (take your pick) and say that you're not.

ROTFLMAO.gif

I swam regularly during my last 2 pregnancies at multiple pools and no on ever asked me for "dr's note"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Quote:

Hmmm... I haven't seen one this pregnancy but this reminded me that my FIL is an MD who has a holistic/homeopathic clinic and is supportive of my decision to UC. He is a bit intense to deal with, but i know he would help out. It would mean going to see him for a visit, though, and it is a 2 hour drive. I will have to think about this one.

you can't call or email and ask him snail mail or email you the note?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#22 of 22 Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

ROTFLMAO.gif

I swam regularly during my last 2 pregnancies at multiple pools and no on ever asked me for "dr's note"

you can't call or email and ask him snail mail or email you the note?

Oh, he is kind of wonky like that - he would want me to come for an evaluation. He is technically my primary care doctor and although he only practices in homeopathy and holistic medicine these days, he is still very much a doctor - he would want to see with his own eyes that I am healthy and fit enough to participate.

I am just going to take a stroll over to the park district tomorrow during lap swim and see what happens!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page