ADVICE PLEASE :) How did you know UC was right for you? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Unassisted Childbirth > ADVICE PLEASE :) How did you know UC was right for you?
lightinmyhands's Avatar lightinmyhands 12:02 PM 04-04-2011

it took me one appointment with a local midwife and the birth center's physician to know that it absolutely wasn't right for me.  I declined the "routine" blood work and the midwife looked at the doctor and actually rolled her eyes.  Not to mention they were both visibly annoyed by my then 4 year old acting, well, like a 4 year old who is bored at a doctor's appointment.  While one the one hand the experience was really sad and a total waste of $200, on the other hand it led to a magnificent home birth attended by no one but daddy.  

rsochi 03:48 PM 04-04-2011

I had an awesome midwife I clicked with.  But she's so awesome -- everyone else clicks with her too, which means she's very busy.  It isn't necessarily her fault, and she knows her stuff.  I hope I can still work with her in the future despite no longer using her services for my birth.  However -- when it came down to her being too busy, it was easier for us to prepare for a UC and not have to worry about having a midwife not show.

I don't know if it still counts as a UC or not, but there are also some doulas who are willing to be around for your birth if your hubby is gone or maybe not comfortable or whatever.  While they aren't trained medical professionals, they do know that having a mother move can help with SD and how to manage other issues that may come up in labor.  But, you have to find one you can trust and that trusts in YOU.  :) 

And, I didn't make the full decision to UC until I was over 37 weeks.  So it's never too late either!

1  2

Up