ADVICE PLEASE :) How did you know UC was right for you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know I want a homebirth.  My husband expects us to have a midwife.  I absolutely know a doctor is outside of my comfort zone.  BUT I can't seem to picture giving birth with a midwife either...

I am can picture being so comfortable ucing...but then logically I don't know exactly how to prepare for that and If it's possible to be prepared completely?

How was it for you moms who have decided to or actually have UC'd or UP/UC'd?   When did you come to the decision and what did you do to feel prepared?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 PM

After a horrible hospital birth with my first, I researched and UC felt the most comfortable to me. I wanted to be more in control of things and felt that it would only be possible with a UC. I sadly didn't manage to get my UC the second time due to my living situation but then ended up with an even worse hospital experience in Romania.

So, now I'm even more determine to UC. Nothing can drag me through any hospital doors unless I feel my child or I are in danger that can only be helped by going to the hospital. Thankfully that is very rare so I'm pretty confident things will go well.

I wish they still had stickied those resources that were up back with the old message board format but they don't.

The book "Emergency Childbirth" has a bunch of info.

I also like Heart and Hands - lots of good info there though I'm turned off by the naked women and the few parts explaining how to be supportive of a Lesbian couple. If you ignore those parts, the rest is quite good. Just wouldn't ever let my kids read that book. 

There's also a PDF I have linked to in a previous and somewhat recent thread that has the short version of how to handle emergencies and there are tons of threads with recommendations on what type of supplies you may like to have on hand, etc. 

There's also another thread out there with information on how to get the birth certificate. Most of the time you'll just need to fill out some information for vital statistics, but, it's nice to have an idea ahead of time.

If you can use the search features on the forum - you'll be able to find stuff a bit easier I think. Hopefully that helps some. I truly believe UC is one of the safest ways to give birth if you are healthy and haven't had any serious complications. 

The negative of having a midwife, is they have to follow some required recommendations for monitoring mom and baby and they may interfere more and make you feel more pressure to do as they say instead of follow what you have learned and what you feel is best in the moment. I am not completely against a midwife being there, just think it'd be nicer without one, personally.

Also, $3-4000 is a lot of money and the typical cost I've seen for a homebirth midwife. That's just not in my price range and they can't do a lot more than what you can do on your own, if you've done your research. If something serious pops up, they need to have you transfered just the same and you may be looking at hospital expenses and midwife expenses in that case.

I prefer that someone is with me during my labor and birth - I would not be as open to solo-UC, though I don't judge anyone that does it that way. My personal comfort is that it is good to at least have someone there who can call for help or give you help if something does go wrong. That's why I'm going to have my hubby review a few bits of material that will help him in accessing the situation and help him to be useful in case of an emergency. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 32 Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 PM

I have always wanted a homebirth but my husband was always too afraid that something would go wrong.  With my last delivery the hosp was a nightmare, they didn't call my mw until I was about 10 min from delivery, because they didn't believe I was actually in labor.  So, I delivered my own baby in the hosp with help from my DH.  So this time around when that little line appeared and I began this journey again - for the fourth and last time - I said then, I will do this at home, by myself.  I've done it before, my body knows what to do, and I know what to expect. 

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#4 of 32 Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I realized during the birth of my last child that 1) God is in Control 2) Midwives are just as human as you and I and they have their own fears and past experiences which they sometimes use to make decisions regarding births 3) I realized how totally unnecessary at lot of procedures were.  Therefore, I came to the conclusion that it would be easier for me to overcome my own fears and just let nature happen, then to trust someone else to let go of their fears.You can't control people & how they think, you can only control you. 

#5 of 32 Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 PM

in my three birthing experiences as of yet, i have had two sweet home births with very hands-off yet knowledgable midwives, as well as one completely unattended home birth. in the first two births i appreciated the support of my dear midwives. i was without a partner, they were very relaxed and hands-off when i needed them to be, and i didn't have any clean-up to do. i've also got to say how wonderful warm counter pressure in the perineal is. i reccommend it to any and all. : )

for my third birth, i was doing a surrogate pregnancy (read, not my baby, but still my body...) for the biological parents, and they were unwavering on the hospital bit. i thought that because i was informed, experienced, and using hospital midwives that it could turn out beautifully still. however,  in the last trimester i was awakened to all the intrusions/procedures/routine interventions that were protocol and they ( the midwives) would not "allow" me to decline. and they were planning on stealing my placenta- something i grew in my own body- based on it being a bio-hazhard. this was a no-brainer to me. i would do what i knew i could. it is sad that the parents were not able to be at the birth, but i really needed to honor and respect my body, let alone the baby that-while it was not my baby- i did have obligations to. i did an infinite amount of reading and meditation in preparation for the birth. the baby ended up being born at a friend's home nearby. i was able to give him the closeness and gentility of a home birth, let the placenta finish it's work pumping blood into him before cutting the cord, dim lights and skin to skin versus latex in those first moments.

so, i realize my uc is a little different then many of the stories on here, but it certainly was planned and prepared for. i value and respect midwives and am studying midwifery on my own, and love to support the galliant midwives i know. i appreciate the feeling of birthing in peace and solitude while having extra hands during and after the birth to clean up, watch my other kiddos, make soup, etc. i especially value the closeness and interaction i have with my midwives at my prenatals- again, without a partner, this is invaluable to me. i think one chooses best what will serve them best- really look at yourself, your needs, your options, and you will see what calls most strongly to you.

much light in seeking your beautiful birth!

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#6 of 32 Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, for everyone's reply's.  Dayiscoming thanks for the recommendations..I'm sorry about your previous' births and really hope next one is a wonderful experience for you.  I know what you mean about some midwives being required to follow certain routines regardless of whether it is necessity in each specific birth, hmmm.  I do have access to fully covered midwifery care as well as fully covered hospital care if needed.  So whatever the choice or outcome financially it makes no difference.  

KD, wow!  That is amazing and quite ironic that you, in a hospital, actually BIRTHED your baby without medical caregivers assistance.  I mean during the actual delivery..right?  Isn't that basically a UC in the HOSPITAL??  

yoma, I agree with you...so was is during your last birth that you decided you would UC the next time?

Elevena True-how did you KNOW that your midwives would be handsoff?  

#7 of 32 Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

emergency childbirth, heart and hands...any more suggestions?

#8 of 32 Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM

I'm going to be following this thread.
I've been toiling away at my own inner battle between a hospital birth and an out of hospital birth. I originally thought about a homebirth but was unable to find a midwife that I felt comfortable with. So I just decided I'd deliver at the hospital and my mind was quiet... for a couple days. Then I keep reading (I'm LOVING- Gentle birth, gentle mothering : a doctor's guide to natural childbirth and gentle early parenting choices / Buckley, Sarah J) and it makes me just want to UC to avoid the bustle after delivery at the hospital.

If there was only a simple algorithm or magic 8 ball to answer all my questions and know what was right!

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#9 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 AM

It is often hard for me to answer this question b/c it just felt right. I prayed and studied what seemed pressing in each pregnancy and just went w/ my gut.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#10 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinemoma View Post

emergency childbirth, heart and hands...any more suggestions?

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm16/sunnywallace/UC%20documents/

EDIT:

Apparently the infant not breathing section is no longer correct. I just saw this on another section of the board where someone else had shared the link. I just wanted to give a heads up. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#11 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Is it bad that reading those made me more nervous? I guess maybe UC isn't for me?

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#12 of 32 Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

Is it bad that reading those made me more nervous? I guess maybe UC isn't for me?

Those are just good things to print out and have on hand in case of an emergency, but emergencies are super rare. There are risks to being at a hospital too. And there could be risks to having a homebirth with a midwife if she does interventions and stuff. Just take it all under consideration before making a decision. 

ElizabethE likes this.

#13 of 32 Old 03-30-2011, 01:30 PM

don't be afraid of death, just like life, it happens.  IMO, it's more likely for mom and babe to be in serious jeopardy in the hands of a doctor than on their own UCing.  Also, midwife transfer rates don't look so good in my local area, what about yours? get your hopes up for a homebirth, spend a lotta cash on a MW and wind up with a doctor anyhow? no thanks.  Midwives have the same legal worries that docs do--- birth is a lawsuit waiting to happen for birth professionals and they all have their rules to play by for their malpractice insurance.  I don't want any part of that personally. Fear is nothing but a tool of social control, so in order to UC I had to learn to let go of it.  Hell, in order to truly live I've had to learn to let go of it!  If you're spiritual at all (for me it's the universal pulse of life, for some it's "god")...... do you not trust? is that why you'd want a midwife or doctor?  Trust that what's meant to be will be, and trust in your ability to be at peace with the outcomes?

#14 of 32 Old 03-30-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightinmyhands View Post

IMO, it's more likely for mom and babe to be in serious jeopardy in the hands of a doctor than on their own UCing.

Absolutely. This is they key, right here.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#15 of 32 Old 03-30-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen2coop View Post

Quote:

Nah, it looked scary and alarming to me, too. I think it was the presentation.

Same/similar info and confidence-instilling = Emergency Childbirth: A Manual.

Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#16 of 32 Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

Nah, it looked scary and alarming to me, too. I think it was the presentation.

Same/similar info and confidence-instilling = Emergency Childbirth: A Manual.

Sorry, if that looked scary. I just used it to print off to make things easy for DH in case something were to pop up. I sincerely doubt anything will.

#17 of 32 Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM

Day, it's cool! I didn't mean it as a disrespect to you. It's still very good info to have. I think the way it was designed just makes it look scary. I think if it works for you and doesn't have that effect on you, that's good. :) Taping up info like that around is not a bad idea at all, if it doesn't spook the mama.

#18 of 32 Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 PM

ITA w/ mamatoabunch-- I don't have any other way to explain it except that as soon as I knew I was preggo this time, UC was undoubtedly "right" this time, although if you'd asked me about UC'ing my past births the answer was "no way!!!!" (this is my 4th baby, my others were hospital births, one epidural vaginal, one c-section under general, & one med-free VBAC w/ midwife)  I don't feel at peace when I think about birthing at the hospital again, nor about a MW attended homebirth, but I feel lots of peace when I think about birthing at home w/ DH.  And no, I don't think there is any way to be completely prepared!  (unless you are like mamatoabunch, I bet she's got this UC thing down pat  ;)  )  I can only do what I can do & trust that God will let me know anything else that might arise in the moment.

#19 of 32 Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM

sunshine-   

in seeing how some women's experiences have turned out, i think that i had a lot of luck in choosing my first midwives. that said, intuition and trust (in the universe, impulse, god, source, however you name it...) played a large role in explaining how i knew they would be the right fit. trust and intuition are some of the same components to a beautiful uc, or birth in general. all that said, it was the right fit and felt that way from our first meeting. truly, these ladies were old and witchy, very laid back, and warm and embracing while not pushing anything on me. they never blinked an eye when i refused every single thing they offered- blood work, gbs testing, glucose test,ing, vitamin k, newborn prick, etc. they simple offered objective information about what was available. i thought it was wonderful to sit and talk about anything, while being fully supported. they would help me problem solve any thing that was going on, hook me up with resources, directions to look, and community connections- then rub my baby and say sweet things to her. it was this amazing, holistic care that is, imo, what midwifery or doulahood is about. if we trust our bodies, it seems that most times medical elements are unneccessary. (  <~~~~~~my disclaimer on that statement, though a different thought pattern, is that there are systems bigger then all of us, in the organic sense, and everything doesn't always play out within our power. ) however, pregnancy and motherhood is a huge responsibility; emotions and hormones are big. it is a beautiful time to have the space you are holding also be held by thoughtful and caring people. some women have this in their partner, or close friends, or perhaps have a dedicated little village-like community. i think the aloneness is raw, and the intimacy of true community is also raw. different experiences, for sure. both with blessings and lessons. we as humans have to remember how to rely on our instincts.

all that is to say, let your own heart and gut guide you. if for a moment either midwife would have challenged my belief systems or (lack of) desires for my medical care or how i envisioned my birth, i would have left then.

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#20 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 AM

I too just felt like it was the obvious choice for our next child, and that was years ago. I've been reading and learning and researching ever since. My dh didn't come to that conclusion though... until I got pg! Then he surprised me with feeling like UP/UC was what he wanted as well. I felt like it was confirmation from God that we were meant to go down the UC path with this baby.

However... due to a lot of random circumstance in our life, I may very well end up in a birth center. The midwife I'm working with has so far given me every reason to believe she'll leave me alone, and knows I want a UC, and knows that was our plan up until our living situation changed. She's comfortable with us UCing still if we decide to, but ... I honestly won't know until labor starts just how things will go that day. My mw was joking around about how she doesn't worry about my birth coinciding with her being out of town because she knows I don't want her there to begin with, so I know she realizes just how little "support" I want in labor. I still haven't met her back-up mw though, so... we'll see!

But I just believe that UC is the most natural, safe and healthy birthplan in the world. Sure things can go wrong... that's why we listen to ourselves and follow through accordingly. Things go wrong when you're driving too, something I read somewhere - wish I could remember where - said something to the effect of how much more dangerous statistically is driving than birthing, yet no one tries to make a pg woman feel guilty or selfish for driving across town! I feel like having anyone else around but my dh will block my own voice and intuition. If I'm listening to someone who can't even feel what's happening inside of my body telling me what I should do and when, how can I hear what my body is telling me? If someone is talking when I'm trying to relax and pray, thinking they know what I need, how will I hear God's voice? Why would I trust that they know what I need based purely on what other women have needed in their experience?

There was a recent thread on here about UC books I believe. And I love reading the birth stories of others who have already been through it! You'll find them around here too. Welcome! :)

ETA: You know, I think that comment about driving vs birth was in the Mothering mag with the UC article last fall... LOL - where ELSE would I have read something that realistic??

Luvmykiddos03 likes this.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#21 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevena true View Post

sunshine-   

in seeing how some women's experiences have turned out, i think that i had a lot of luck in choosing my first midwives. that said, intuition and trust (in the universe, impulse, god, source, however you name it...) played a large role in explaining how i knew they would be the right fit. trust and intuition are some of the same components to a beautiful uc, or birth in general. all that said, it was the right fit and felt that way from our first meeting. truly, these ladies were old and witchy, very laid back, and warm and embracing while not pushing anything on me. they never blinked an eye when i refused every single thing they offered- blood work, gbs testing, glucose test,ing, vitamin k, newborn prick, etc. they simple offered objective information about what was available. i thought it was wonderful to sit and talk about anything, while being fully supported. they would help me problem solve any thing that was going on, hook me up with resources, directions to look, and community connections- then rub my baby and say sweet things to her. it was this amazing, holistic care that is, imo, what midwifery or doulahood is about. if we trust our bodies, it seems that most times medical elements are unneccessary. (  <~~~~~~my disclaimer on that statement, though a different thought pattern, is that there are systems bigger then all of us, in the organic sense, and everything doesn't always play out within our power. ) however, pregnancy and motherhood is a huge responsibility; emotions and hormones are big. it is a beautiful time to have the space you are holding also be held by thoughtful and caring people. some women have this in their partner, or close friends, or perhaps have a dedicated little village-like community. i think the aloneness is raw, and the intimacy of true community is also raw. different experiences, for sure. both with blessings and lessons. we as humans have to remember how to rely on our instincts.

all that is to say, let your own heart and gut guide you. if for a moment either midwife would have challenged my belief systems or (lack of) desires for my medical care or how i envisioned my birth, i would have left then.

Where can I find one like that?!!!! Your response was very helpful and encouraging to me. thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie View Post

I too just felt like it was the obvious choice for our next child, and that was years ago. I've been reading and learning and researching ever since. My dh didn't come to that conclusion though... until I got pg! Then he surprised me with feeling like UP/UC was what he wanted as well. I felt like it was confirmation from God that we were meant to go down the UC path with this baby.

However... due to a lot of random circumstance in our life, I may very well end up in a birth center. The midwife I'm working with has so far given me every reason to believe she'll leave me alone, and knows I want a UC, and knows that was our plan up until our living situation changed. She's comfortable with us UCing still if we decide to, but ... I honestly won't know until labor starts just how things will go that day. My mw was joking around about how she doesn't worry about my birth coinciding with her being out of town because she knows I don't want her there to begin with, so I know she realizes just how little "support" I want in labor. I still haven't met her back-up mw though, so... we'll see!

But I just believe that UC is the most natural, safe and healthy birthplan in the world. Sure things can go wrong... that's why we listen to ourselves and follow through accordingly. Things go wrong when you're driving too, something I read somewhere - wish I could remember where - said something to the effect of how much more dangerous statistically is driving than birthing, yet no one tries to make a pg woman feel guilty or selfish for driving across town! I feel like having anyone else around but my dh will block my own voice and intuition. If I'm listening to someone who can't even feel what's happening inside of my body telling me what I should do and when, how can I hear what my body is telling me? If someone is talking when I'm trying to relax and pray, thinking they know what I need, how will I hear God's voice? Why would I trust that they know what I need based purely on what other women have needed in their experience?

There was a recent thread on here about UC books I believe. And I love reading the birth stories of others who have already been through it! You'll find them around here too. Welcome! :)

ETA: You know, I think that comment about driving vs birth was in the Mothering mag with the UC article last fall... LOL - where ELSE would I have read something that realistic??

I agree 100%. We downplay the risks involved with our everyday life that we deem to be necessary and acceptable.

Although my gut feeling is still wavering on what to actually do, I think if I'm truly honest with myself, delivering in the hospital is not what I want for this baby. I think if it was, I wouldn't have thought to even look into homebirth with a midwife or UC at all. Only 17 more weeks to marinate on the subject! wink1.gif

#22 of 32 Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 PM

I think my last hosp birth made me realise I could do it on my own so I was determined to do it on my own with #4. I really had no worries and it all really went well. This time I seem to have more worry, I am not sure why. I know I can birth unassisted and there is no other option for me but I guess I am only concerned for what I have no control over.

#23 of 32 Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 PM

My first birth, I started wanting an elective c-section under general anesthesia. I wanted a baby, I wanted nothing to do with the birthing process. I met women on an AOL ddc who thankfully were willing to help educate this scared, probably crazy sounding, 20 year old. I stayed with a hospital birth because even if I knew of a homebirth midwife, I couldn't afford anything. I so wish I'd had a doula. Even so, we wound up with a medicated labor (2 shots of narcotics..which don't really work on me anyway) and natural birth. The best birth possible for me in that place, in that time.

My second birth I wanted a homebirth but could find no midwife. The CNM that does homebirth was booked. I settled in with the hospital CNMs. But felt drawn to UC. All of my birth dreams were of my husband and I with me squatting in the tub at our house while it was snowing outside. A midwife friend found a homebirth midwife for me through a yahoo group for midwives. We hired her. She was at another birth and didn't have her cell in her pocket, so didn't get our calls about me being in labor until baby was almost here. It was a super fast, super intense posterior labor, but it ended in baby turning and us having our peaceful birth in the tub with just Dh and I. <3 For it being the "hardest" birth, it's still my best.

My last birth, the midwife did make it. She was a great support person. She honestly was. But every cervical check felt like an intrusion. Not her fault at all, just how I felt. DH spent my labor while we were alone (only 30 minutes; I had a 2 hr labor and he got there 30 minutes into it) cleaning because the midwife was coming, not focusing on laboring WITH me. Again, not the midwife's fault. It was DH's fault. But had nobody been coming over, it wouldn't have even been thought of to load the dishwasher while his wife is in labor!

With my births getting shorter and shorter, and our money being stretched thin anyway, I can't justify the cost of a homebirth midwife. Even if I could call the second my first contraction hit (and I usually have prodromal labor, so it takes me a few to tell its real), I may be looking at a 75-90 minute birth if this one follows the pattern of the others. It takes about 25 minutes to get from where the midwife lives to here. So she may be here for a half hour of labor/birth time and then to clean stuff up. In my head, I can't put that financial hardship on my family for what may amount to such a short time, if a midwife were to make it at all. And I really can't justify trying to drop the kids off with someone else (who all live in the OPPOSITE direction of our preferred hospital!), and make it to a hospital. Particularly if DH is at work! It just wouldn't happen. I'm all for unassisted homebirthing. Unassisted van birthing, notsomuch! UC just makes sense. And DH is totally on board. When I found out I was expecting we both said "Okay. Just us for the birth, right?" :) I've wavered a bit, listening to those around me, etc. But in my heart, and in my head when I'm being rational, this is what makes sense for us for this baby. And I'm having birth dreams that it is just DH and I. I've only had birth dreams with my other UC. I think my subconscious approves. ;)

Sorry for the novel! I talk a lot when I'm tired. LOL

ElizabethE likes this.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#24 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamama View Post

My first birth, I started wanting an elective c-section under general anesthesia. I wanted a baby, I wanted nothing to do with the birthing process. I met women on an AOL ddc who thankfully were willing to help educate this scared, probably crazy sounding, 20 year old. I stayed with a hospital birth because even if I knew of a homebirth midwife, I couldn't afford anything. I so wish I'd had a doula. Even so, we wound up with a medicated labor (2 shots of narcotics..which don't really work on me anyway) and natural birth. The best birth possible for me in that place, in that time.

My second birth I wanted a homebirth but could find no midwife. The CNM that does homebirth was booked. I settled in with the hospital CNMs. But felt drawn to UC. All of my birth dreams were of my husband and I with me squatting in the tub at our house while it was snowing outside. A midwife friend found a homebirth midwife for me through a yahoo group for midwives. We hired her. She was at another birth and didn't have her cell in her pocket, so didn't get our calls about me being in labor until baby was almost here. It was a super fast, super intense posterior labor, but it ended in baby turning and us having our peaceful birth in the tub with just Dh and I. <3 For it being the "hardest" birth, it's still my best.

My last birth, the midwife did make it. She was a great support person. She honestly was. But every cervical check felt like an intrusion. Not her fault at all, just how I felt. DH spent my labor while we were alone (only 30 minutes; I had a 2 hr labor and he got there 30 minutes into it) cleaning because the midwife was coming, not focusing on laboring WITH me. Again, not the midwife's fault. It was DH's fault. But had nobody been coming over, it wouldn't have even been thought of to load the dishwasher while his wife is in labor!

With my births getting shorter and shorter, and our money being stretched thin anyway, I can't justify the cost of a homebirth midwife. Even if I could call the second my first contraction hit (and I usually have prodromal labor, so it takes me a few to tell its real), I may be looking at a 75-90 minute birth if this one follows the pattern of the others. It takes about 25 minutes to get from where the midwife lives to here. So she may be here for a half hour of labor/birth time and then to clean stuff up. In my head, I can't put that financial hardship on my family for what may amount to such a short time, if a midwife were to make it at all. And I really can't justify trying to drop the kids off with someone else (who all live in the OPPOSITE direction of our preferred hospital!), and make it to a hospital. Particularly if DH is at work! It just wouldn't happen. I'm all for unassisted homebirthing. Unassisted van birthing, notsomuch! UC just makes sense. And DH is totally on board. When I found out I was expecting we both said "Okay. Just us for the birth, right?" :) I've wavered a bit, listening to those around me, etc. But in my heart, and in my head when I'm being rational, this is what makes sense for us for this baby. And I'm having birth dreams that it is just DH and I. I've only had birth dreams with my other UC. I think my subconscious approves. wink1.gif

Sorry for the novel! I talk a lot when I'm tired. LOL

lol.gif that made me giggle because I'm fairly certain my hubby wouldn't think to do that even if we were having company.

Not to thread hijack, OP, but I'm loving to read these stories of how/why you all ended up choosing UC. Somehow it just feels the most right for me in my gut at this time. My head is taking a little more convincing, but I think it'll come around after I read the EC book. I do have a little insider knowledge about what to do in OB emergencies, which is good and bad because I'd know what to do but it makes me more aware of the fact that random emergencies happen to even the healthiest of women. However, not even being in the hospital would prevent them, you'd just be closer to help if you needed it. I would bet against all odds though that I wouldn't have any of them. Plus, statistically, who knows what low, low percentage of women have PPH or cord prolapse compared to 30% Cesarean rate, 80%+ epidural rate, and who knows what percent unnecessary intervention with internals and pitocin rate.
anyway... I'm starting to feel more gut feeling about UC than I have about this birth yet.
Time to start assembling the materials! But that's another thread. wink1.gif
ElizabethE likes this.

#25 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 12:09 PM

This is my 4th pregnancy (I'm due Nov 24) and I feel peaceful and right about my decision to UP/UC. It has been a journey, almost a circular one that started with my first pregnancy much the same way, but with a much less experienced and innocent young mother. 6 years ago, exactly this time, I was due with our first child, due Dec, 2005. After a lot of research and reading and discussions we decided to have a UP/UC birth...I was confident in my decision even tho every unexperienced. My pregnancy went well, I stayed healthy and couldn't even tell I was pregnant at  6 mo...hardly. At 33 1/2 wks I started having contractions. Never having had them before I was worried, but somehow convinced myself they were Braxton Hicks and I was fine...I drank some wine and tried to relax. After a few calls to my DH and getting more worried, he decided to come home from work. After a call to an out of state midwife for advice, she advices to go to the hospital because it was probably early labor. By that time I was in the bathtub and I said...nope, can't go, the baby is coming out. And we had a very unexpected early labor, where our first son, Gabriel Eben was born, just about 20 min after the midwife call. He came out crying and looked fine...Apgar of about 9. We were very relieved and after examining him and making sure everything was fine, we cleaned up and got him cleaned up and warmed up. We decided not to go the hospital, because he was doing very well and knew they would demand he stayed there for weeks. Not sure if it was the best decision or one I would make again, but I think it was the way it was meant to be. He nursed extremely well, and gave us no worries at all. He was 4.5 lbs, and we had a perfect, blissful, heavenly 6 wks with him. Dec 25, 2005, Gabriel died in his sleep to SIDS. I in no way blame my birth and often am very thankful that I got those 6 wks in such perfect peacefulness rather than the hospital stress, as he would have been out of the hospital by then and could/would have died anyways...depending on ones view of fate.

My second pregnancy started soon after, only 3 months after losing Gabriel. Of course I was an emotional mess, and we decided that a midwife would be our best option for this birth. She was very sweet and understanding, but after realizing I was in labor at 15 wks, advised me to go to the ER, where I had a very traumatic birthing experience, the dr invalidating my baby, and my right to keep him, I had to demand they let me take my tiny baby boy (Adriel) home...where we tearfully buried him in our nearby mountains. Looking back, if I were to go into labor that early again, I would rather peacefully miscarry at home, than subject myself to the ER where they did nothing but traumatize me, and make it 100x more difficult.

9 months later we adopted our two sons from Liberia West Africa age 2yr & 10 mo, and 9 mo after returning home with them I find myself pregnant again...This time I chose a very laid back sweet female Dr to do prenatal care with. She was aware I wanted to UC and was ok with that. I was concerned about premature labor and was considered high risk because of premature labor and late miscarriage. After a somewhat stressful, but quite uneventful pregnancy I gave birth to my 5th son, (if you count the ones in heaven and our adopted ones) at home UC under water with my dirty dh arriving just in time from work (he does construction) to help me through the last 40 min of very very intense labor. The labor lasted 2 hrs from the moment I know I was in labor, to when our son was born. I was 38 1/2 wks pregnant and my dr said I don't have a premature labor risk after this. So now 2.5 years later I feel ready to attempt a UP/UC again, but with much more awareness and experience. I plan to go to the hospital in the event of premature labor, which I'm not too worried will happen...I am due Nov, the same month as my first son was born. It feels special and healing in a way as well.

My boys at home are now ages 6 yrs, 5 yrs, & 2.5 yrs, so I already have a busy house...feeling great now, but from experience morning sickness usually hits around wk 8.

Sorry, I wrote a novel as well..but the decision UP/UC can often take years to come to a realization of.

#26 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 12:51 PM

I want to say I would never do UC, but truthfully, I probably would if I couldn't have a homebirth any other way.  That being said, I would ABSOLUTELY encourage you to find an amazing midwife that you 'click' with!  A great midwife will be unobtrusive...  leaving you to birth your own child the way you want, only being there to help if needed and 'guard your space'.  She will also feel like family.  If either of those statements don't fit, then keep looking!  A great midwife is worth the search and will allow you to safely have the experience you desire!

#27 of 32 Old 04-02-2011, 07:21 PM

I am enjoying all your stories. They are all relate-able and touching.

Annalise, midwives are not necessary at birth. Also, many women find out when it's too late that even the coolest midwife is obtrusive accidentally, by her mere presence. Others seem cool at first and then don't do what they said they would, even if you've come to love and trust them. In any case, "keep looking" can be an infinite task for what any of us may seek, and could result in an accidental UC anyway... for what we are seeking is just not always possible to find.

#28 of 32 Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 AM

interesting to me, this changing wave of thinking, and how it's only mildly different.  many, many women are coming to realize that doctors aren't necessary to have a safe birthing experience, but I hear so very many of them still full of fear of birth and insistent that a midwife is necessary.  Same fear, just a slight shift in responsibility.  Good for business for midwives I guess, but is it good for birth?

#29 of 32 Old 04-03-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, this is awesome reading through all these posts.  Thanks for sharing your stories and ideas.  I feel that putting my trust in a "professional" will cloud my view of my own intuitions and instincts.

I have recently been priviledged to attend two homebirths.  One was straightforward and the other one involved SD.  This crucial situation was dealt with by the midwife and oxygen was then used.  However, I am skeptical of how helpful the midwife was in resolving the SD.  She was pulling on the head and putting constant downward pressure,  I asked if it were possible for her to slip her finger in and under her little armpit in there (coincidently I had JUST read the emergency pages that are referred to earlier in this thread)...that was when she went in and was able to dislodge the stuck shoulder.  The midwife later explained she used the "corkscrew manuever".  I feel that there is always a chance of situations that need educated assistance but I don't really believe that having a professional ensures a good outcome.  Or even that the professional will give the best/needed assistance...

I wasn't extremely impressed with either of the midwives..

Or, maybe, I just felt that If I were the labouring mom, that I would prefer not to have their presence and routines in my space.

#30 of 32 Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 PM

It is a shift Light, and not a good one since in order to be recognized and counted as medical professionals in this country alongside doctors, many midwives are very adherent to the common medical way of practicing and viewing pregnancy/labor, anyway. Hence the term "medwives". But, even if they weren't so medically minded, shifting responsibility to anyone and laboring under the delusion that it's in their expert hands (and thus out of yours) is ... less than ideal.

Sunshine, I totally agree with your opinion and assessment of what you saw with the midwives.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page