New here/need advice - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all!

I've been lurking here for quite some time (pretty much since I found out I was pregnant!). I've always been interested in UC'ing and this board has provided me with so much good information!

I finally decided to post because I'm looking for some advice.

This is my first baby and while I'm planning to UC I wasn't comfortable with a UP since this is my first. I had my first U/S at around 24 weeks and was told my placenta was pretty much covering my cervix. I know it's common for it to move up so I was rooting for that. I another scan at 35 weeks and my placenta is in pretty much the same place. I'm due for another one next week (38 weeks) to see if by some good luck it has moved up.

I really, really want to UC. I don't trust the OB's here in my city.and there is only one midwife here and she's WAY to expensive for me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my placenta is away from my cervix now, but if it's still totally covering it or even partially covering, what are my options? The doctor's are saying I would have to have a c section but is there any way to avoid that? Is there anyway I can still birth at home?

Please help me out here, momma's!

#2 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 AM

Unfortunately having placenta previa puts you and the baby at risk.  If the placenta is covering the cervix, even partially - the baby has no way out.  At a partial (depending on how close it is), it can cause major bleeding.  If you were to attempt a vaginal birth with placenta previa, the baby wouldn't be able to come out without the placenta detaching = no oxygen for baby. 

My best suggestion would be to look around for an OB with a low c-section rate and a very high VBAC rate, someone who understands c-sections are life saving tools and will do what he can to assure you can vbac next time around.  Also look into the different kinds of sutures.  Just because you may need a c-section doesn't mean it has to be an awful experience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg&feature=player_embedded#at=672

#3 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM

Oh, how disappointing mama!! hug.gif

Unfortunately, I would say that vaginal birth with a complete previa is not an option. I agree with the PP that just because you may need a c-section, that doesn't mean that it won't go well. But I will send you lots of good thoughts to get that stubborn placenta out of the way!

I had a c-section with my first, a DEM assisted homebirth with my 2nd and am now UC/UPing with my 3rd. Accepting that I needed the c-section was hard, but I had numerous complications throughout that pregnancy that completely took away the option of vaginal birth. I would suggest spending the next few weeks educating yourself about c-sections, your hospital's policies and procedures, and recovery from the surgery so that if this ends up being your path, you are armed with the knowledge you need to have a good experience.

Good luck, mama!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#4 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Oh mama!  I wish I had things to say to you that I wasn't afraid would sound scary.  I'm sorry I don't, but this is a scary condition, and talking about it just isn't soothing.  I had placenta previa with my DD, who is a year and a half old now.  She was born at 32w4d, by c/s, due to hemorrhage. I would definitely have preferred to give birth vaginally, at home or in the most homelike birth center imaginable (and at least six weeks later than I actually did), but my c-section was a very positive experience nonetheless.  My daughter and I were very well cared for, and the hospital did everything they could to facilitate contact between us, even while treating DD for the complications of prematurity. 

I am so sorry that you are in this situation.  There is nothing about placenta previa that does not suck.  However, I'm also going to congratulate you.  You made it to 37 weeks!  Many, many previa cases result in pre-term delivery, and you are past the risk of that - if you were here, I would throw you a party.  But it's also a stressful time, because labor with this condition is so dangerous.  I hope it's gone away and all this winds up not being an issue.  While you're waiting to find out, please be careful.  Try and make sure there is someone in your house who can help you, and keep a phone close to hand.

If any part of the placenta continues to cover the cervix, I am sorry mama, but you really do need a c-section.  You absolutely cannot birth vaginally with this condition - the risk of you and the baby bleeding to death is incredibly high.  Usually, when people say things like this, they are being alarmist and ridiculous.  With placenta previa, it's actually true.  If you experience bleeding or start to go into labor, you need to get to the hospital immediately. 

Would it make sense for you to schedule an appointment (like, Monday) with your OB to discuss what will happen if the placenta isn't clear of the cervix?  Can you sit down and talk about what you want for you and the baby?  Some hospitals are very accommodating of immediate contact, bringing you the baby and holding her in contact with you while the surgery is finished, and keeping moms and babies together in recovery.  Some hospitals that aren't usually very accommodating can be convinced to be flexible if you make your wishes known.  Advance notice helps, but don't be afraid to speak up even if you wind up going in as an emergency.

#5 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

I am so sorry that you are in this situation.  There is nothing about placenta previa that does not suck.  However, I'm also going to congratulate you.  You made it to 37 weeks!  Many, many previa cases result in pre-term delivery, and you are past the risk of that - if you were here, I would throw you a party.  But it's also a stressful time, because labor with this condition is so dangerous.  I hope it's gone away and all this winds up not being an issue.  While you're waiting to find out, please be careful.  Try and make sure there is someone in your house who can help you, and keep a phone close to hand.

MeepyCat is right - try to take it easy, keep your feet up and a phone nearby. Talk to your OB. Post here in the general pregnancy forum. And speak your mind! Your baby will likely be perfectly healthy and not need any NICU time so there will be some flexibility with immediate contact, breastfeeding, etc... Please don't be shy about asking for help or information!

I had a similar situation, but made it to 35 weeks. I had a complete previa, which actually ended up moving, but after I just kept bleeding and bleeding (started at 22 weeks), FINALLY at 27 weeks they did a level 2 ultrasound and found out I had a vasa previa - 2 placental lobes connected by a branch of the umbilical cord that draped into my cervix and bled whenever I moved. In this day and age, most c-sections and minor complications are unnecessary - or rather, could have been avoided in many circumstances. Previa and its problems are not one of those cases. greensad.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#6 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 07:50 PM

(((hugs)))

There is time that it could move, not saying it will - saying it could - but you need time. This is something that Dr.s may be very unwilling to give you. I know that with my pregnancies I take my full 42 weeks and so hardly bat an eye at being "late." However with one's first pregnancy it is hard to tell what 'normal' is for her pregnancies (I use normal loosely as each pregnancy is different). Finding a Dr. to give you time even if your placenta stays put, can mean a world of difference on how you and the baby handle things. 

I am really sorry to hear that you will be unable to have a UC (as of current), but beings that you have this information it gives you time to find a really good Dr. and plan a family centered c-section, that is fully handled the way you want. I completely agree with that rsochi says here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsochi View Post

My best suggestion would be to look around for an OB with a low c-section rate and a very high VBAC rate, someone who understands c-sections are life saving tools and will do what he can to assure you can vbac next time around.  Also look into the different kinds of sutures.  Just because you may need a c-section doesn't mean it has to be an awful experience.

I hope the best for you and your little baby! 

#7 of 15 Old 03-25-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyAngil View Post

(((hugs)))

There is time that it could move, not saying it will - saying it could - but you need time. This is something that Dr.s may be very unwilling to give you. I know that with my pregnancies I take my full 42 weeks and so hardly bat an eye at being "late." However with one's first pregnancy it is hard to tell what 'normal' is for her pregnancies (I use normal loosely as each pregnancy is different). Finding a Dr. to give you time even if your placenta stays put, can mean a world of difference on how you and the baby handle things. 

I am really sorry to hear that you will be unable to have a UC (as of current), but beings that you have this information it gives you time to find a really good Dr. and plan a family centered c-section, that is fully handled the way you want. I completely agree with that rsochi says here:

I hope the best for you and your little baby! 

At 37 weeks with previa, time stops being your friend, and doctors (and midwives, and, in all likelihood, your mom) get justifiably very nervous.  If the placenta has moved, wonderful, but if your ultrasound next week shows that it hasn't, you have to proceed on the assumption that it isn't going to.  Most of the tests they would use to determine whether your cervix is dilating are off limits in previa cases (no manual exams, no fetal fibronecting, speculum exams only with great caution), so they have to err on the side of caution. 

BTW, OP. may I strongly recommend that you do NOT go to this next ultrasound alone?  Make sure that your partner understands the need to be there, and does not expect to go back to work afterward.

#8 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everybody!

I have my ultrasound on Monday and my doc has told me that if my placenta is still covering the cervix, he'd like to book the section for Wednesday.

I'm really hoping things will have improved, but I'm not counting on it. I understand that going into labour with my placenta totally covering the cervix can be risky, but I really don't want to have a section booked before my labour starts.

Sigh, I hope things are better Monday!

#9 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 01:21 PM

Soon2beMama, I totally understand why you wouldn't want to have a c-section without a trial of labor, but placenta previa makes that very dangerous.  It is far, far better to do a section while you and the baby are still fine than to wait for labor, and risk placental damage that seriously injures one or both of you.

#10 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well, we had the U/S today. My placenta is still COMPLETELY covering the cervix. I'm booked for a C/S on Wednesday.

After the U/S I broke down in my doc office (my DH was there, don't worry!). He was very kind and explained to me in great detail the risk of waiting in till labour starts to have the C/S. I feel a bit better about the whole thing, but I'm still disappointed.

Thank you all for your support.

#11 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 PM

Just wanted to offer my condolences on the loss of your UC, but my congratulations on your impending birth!! Big hugs, and I'm glad you were able to come here and get info from experienced mamas that understand your desire for UC! hug2.gif

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#12 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 02:12 PM

Yeah - I think it's pretty impossible not to be disappointed.  I'm sorry it didn't clear, but I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.

I hope you have an uncomplicated surgery and an easy recovery.

#13 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry it`s taken me so long to come back!  I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and let you know how things went.

I have a baby boy!  He was born on March 28. I did end up having a section, but it went really well and my recovery was great as well.

My placenta was completely covering the cervix at the time of delivery. In fact, the doctor said it was pretty much centered over the cervix, which is apparently unusual and very dangerous. If I had attempted to deliver at home, there is no way I would have been able to and the outcome for me and my baby would not have been good.

I have to say, this has really shaken my feelings about birth and whatnot. I am so glad I decided against a UP because I would not have known the position of my placenta prior to labour. I can't help wondering what would have happened to me and my baby if I had gone the UP route?

#14 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Banned

First, congratulations on your healthy baby and that the birth was the best possible c-section experience. This was one of those situations where the c-section was absolutely right, and I'm so glad tht the whole process went well for you.

Second, I personally believe that one's intuition is strong enough to seek help if needed. Even if you hadn't done normal prenatal care, you very likely would have "felt" that something was 'off' and that you needed to gather some resources and seek information. It might also be said that your early decision to get prenatal care was part of this intuitive process. :)

ElizabethE likes this.
#15 of 15 Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 PM

Soon2be-- I'm very glad that you got the care you needed and that things went as well as could be expected. Sorry about the disappointment-- but, of course, congrats on your new baby!!!

As for a home birth... there's always next time, perhaps? :)

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page