What do you/will you do with the cord? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have read about numerous things you can do for cord removal and after care. Some people use forceps and a clamp, some use a cord band or cord tape, some choose lotus birth, etc...

What are your experiences or plans for cord removal? And do you do anything for aftercare? Last time we used a string and nothing at all on the stump. I think it fell off on its own around 4 or 5 days after her birth. DS, however, had his clamped in the hospital and because I didn't know any better, I applied alcohol to it like they do there. His took almost 2 weeks to fall off!! Yikes!

Is anyone planning a lotus birth?

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#2 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 01:53 PM

My midwife at my daughter's birth advised applying iodine to the cord stump, so I did - like with yours, it took almost two weeks to come off. After my UC, I applied breastmilk, and the cord came off in five days. Next time, I will just leave it to come off naturally.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#3 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 PM

We clamp and cut it after I deliver the placenta. I was told to put alcohol w/ my twins, hospital, and hydrogen peroxide w/ my third, first HB. After that we did nothing and it took considerably less time to fall off than my first three.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#4 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 PM

I am torn about having a lotus birth and wanting to encapsulate my placenta with this one (due May).

My 1st's I in no way remember how long it took to come off, but I seem to feel it was much longer than my 2nd's but hers seems like it took a long time too... sigh. >.< I treated the first, some, with alky swabs then remember reading that was a poor choice and just did nothing. With my 2nd I treated it with nothing. Sorry I cannot be more help. 

#5 of 28 Old 03-27-2011, 07:47 PM

we used a cord tie i made from embroidery floss (it was pretty!) and didnt treat it. the stump fell off really fast, 4 days tops. this time we used a cord elastic thingy and on day 5, still here, but should be off soon. dd1 did the whole hospital tx and it also took a really long time.

i think it's a moisture thing. with my cotton braided cord tie it seeped a bit, but the moisture came out and it dried up fast. with the plastic hosp clamp, it was sealed tight and didn't seep but it took far longer to dry out. this elastic thingy seems to be somewhere in the middle of those 2.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#6 of 28 Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 AM

I had 2 hospital births where they used clamps. My first took probably close to 10 days (not certain.) We were using alcohol on it as recommended by the doctor and now I know that isn't the best way to handle it.

With my second, it was clamped but we didn't put anything on it. I think it fell off the first week. 

This time, I plan to use either a cord band or cord tape (stringy thing.) Based on the last poster though, I am leaning toward the cord tape. I'll wait until the cord stops pulsating to have it cut. Lotus birth grosses me out personally. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#7 of 28 Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM

1st daughter cut and clamped immediately in hospital. Used alcohol to treat *just like we were told*, took the typical time to come off. 1-2 weeks.

1st son, they cut and clamped him immediately in hospital. I used alcohol maybe a few times and then let it take care of itself naturally by letting it dry out. Took a little less time I think to come off this time. Maybe a week?

2nd son we waited for the cord to be white and limp, not pulsing, and just cut it with scissors and no tie off. We left his stump dry with no alcohol and it was quickly gone in about 4 days. Beautiful, natural. Sometimes less is more.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#8 of 28 Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 PM

with my last pregnancy I tried to do some research on Lotus birth and I still don't quite understand the point of it?.... I mean, once the cord is done pulsing, the benefit of having the placenta attached is through, so why carry it around in a bag until it falls off naturally?  if anyone has any info or insight, I'm terribly curious.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.
#9 of 28 Old 03-30-2011, 01:49 PM

^ yeah those are my thoughts as well. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#10 of 28 Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM

I bought cord clamps because I didn't know how to use anything else bag.gif .... I think we'll probably use braided embroidery floss instead though. I was kind of wondering about the colored floss though. I know some cool braiding techniques but I was concerned maybe the dye would be an issue? If not, I think that would be cool! If so, I'll just use white. I won't cut until the cord is white/limp and placenta is out. We used alcohol last time but this time I think we'll probably use nothing -- but I have heard golden seal powder (sp?) is supposed to be good but I just haven't messed with it.

I think Lotus birth is... uneccesary at best... and I'll just leave it at that to avoid offending.  If nothing else it prevents squeamish people from wanting to hold your baby for like a week if they know they're gonna have to hold a big bag of decaying placenta too so maybe that's one benefit lol.gif

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#11 of 28 Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

From what I gather, lotus birth is more of a spiritual process for the baby than anything to do with actual physical health. I believe (and please someone correct me if I am wrong) that it is thought that since the placenta is literally attached to the baby via the cord, that it truly is a part of the baby and that the most natural and peaceful way for the baby to give up his/hew first source of nourishment and security is by letting it detach in it's own time. Some people believe that the baby and placenta should not be separated artificially. I think this quote kind of sums it up:

Dr. Sarah Buckley states that there are many important aspects to lotus birth, one of them she explains is what’s being discovered in primal therapy. She says, “In primal therapy it’s (the placenta is) like the baby’s first possession, the baby’s first object, the first other, even though actually genetically it’s made out of the same material of the baby, it’s part of the baby. But the baby experiences it as the other. And the ultrasound has seen baby’s licking the placenta and putting their head against the placenta.” What we are seeing is the baby is very sensitive to the handling of the placenta.

While I think that it is a beautiful idea and in some ways I am drawn to it, I know that I would not have the time and patience needed to follow through with it. I am just too frazzled during those first few days after birth.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#12 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 AM

I thought this blog by Gloria Lemay on Lotus birth and Placenta medicine was relevant.

http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=226

Aspiring Doula/helper of women and families, SAHM to a joy of a little man while TTC #2   makebabe.gif
#13 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 AM

I was planning on using braided embroidery floss as a tie too, (all that experience with friendship bracelets will finally come in handy! ;) ) but hadn't thought of maybe it not being necessary if you wait for the cord to stop pulsing and be white (thank you ElizabethE!) or that the dyes might be less than ideal for the baby (thank you Tumble Bumbles!). I was thinking I'd get all ... silly or crafty or corny or just happy ... and make us all matching bracelets. Maybe just for the kids. :) I'll certainly have enough thread left over.

I am planning on encapsulating the placenta, and possibly even having a smoothie that day. We'll see how that goes.. If we end up doing a full blown UC, and bleeding is at all an issue, I will definitely be taking a bit of it right away. I was thinking of doing a print, just because I think they look cool, but I don't know if doing both will work.

I've read about lotus birth, that you can stroke the cord or touch the placenta and the baby will respond to that, which is kinda cool, but between wanting to utilize the placenta personally - which is more in line with how all mamas of many species are designed - and just not wanting to pack around a slowly saddening placenta for a week... yeeeeeah.. I don't think lotus birth is for us, either. Not that I think there's anything wrong with anyone else doing it, of course. Seemed like a few years ago a lot of mamas here in the UC forum were doing that or had done that, and now those of us here are largely drifting away from it? Overall, I don't feel like any perceived benefits will outweigh the hassle or loss of nutrition and support for me in the long run. While my son did great when I weaned him at 18 months... I did not. Wish I'd nursed him for months beyond that. I'm hoping that both nursing for significantly longer and having the capsules on hand will help me get through that more smoothly with this baby.

With both of my other kiddos being delivered in the hospital, it was all part of the wham-bam approach, baby already crying and freaked out and someone cuts the cord before you know what hit either of you. I don't think I even saw my placenta! Which at the time didn't matter to me, and is now really weird to me. How can something so important for so long just get tossed to the side like that? Like something we needed to be protected from, you know? I didn't know anything about delaying that then, and we will absolutely be delaying any clamping or cutting this time.

ETA: Dd's cord stump, we did as we were told! And it took forever, two weeksish. With ds, I did a little less than told, and it was off in closer to one week. I'll be leaving this cord stump alone, unless it gets funky, at which point I would use some breastmilk to clear that up. I think it will go much more smoothly this time, though.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#14 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 AM

Anyone know how short the cord should be cut to? 

#15 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

We have just clamped an inch from baby and cut just past that.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#16 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 AM

I've heard around 4 inches from the belly button -- I guess it shrivels a lot pretty quickly. I'm not entirely sure on that one though. We'll probably do it around that long and it it seems long, snip a bit more when babe's sleeping or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#17 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 12:19 PM

what's with all this cord tying and clamping if you're cutting it after it stops pulsing?  they only clamp it at the hospital because they cut it too early and blood would spray everywhere without the clamp.  it's really simple, wait 15min or so until it's not pulsing and it goes limp...then get sharp scissors (kitchen scissors work fine, sterilized of course) and cut it.  :)

#18 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM

^ Hmm... OK. :)

#19 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM

I thought I replied to this but can't see my response anymore.

First what I said was that my husband cut the cord 3-4 inches even though I told him we should do 1-2, but that it DID shrivel very quickly, even that very day. Also, doing less does seem to show through our experiences that healing goes by much faster. Although I don't think we can avoid the normal "funky" issue. Maybe that's what people are using the alcohol for. But, it apparently stalls the healing. I prefer to be natural and let it heal faster.

Light, if I am being perfectly honest, we did get blood everywhere when we cut without tying. It was a minor inconvenience in that it was messy. But, we definitely waited for it to be limp and white and not pulsing. I suppose there is still some residual blood that hangs around? Maybe it also depends on how long you wait. We did not wait long because the cord became white and limp very soon after birth (I was surprised!). Maybe if we had waited an hour it wouldn't have sprayed us? Don't know. I suppose I would support tying just in case yours gets messy, too, but it's absolutely not necessary. :)

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#20 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 PM

W/ Finnian we tried a shoestring to tie off after limp and white and the placenta had delivered, we had done the cord clamp w/ the previous 7. I thought we tied it tight, but w/in a few minutes blood was leaking from the cut end on Finnian. It can still leak blood when it has gone limp and white.

#21 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 PM

Good to know from people who have experience. I'll probably stick with tying it just in case. 

#22 of 28 Old 03-31-2011, 01:06 PM

the problem with using alcohol is that it kills the bacteria (gangrene actually) that causes the cord to rot off. That's why it gets a little smelly towards the ends and why it falls of faster with no "treatment". It is, however, ok for it to get wet in bath, it just doesn't need to be cleaned.

ElizabethE likes this.
#23 of 28 Old 04-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightinmyhands View Post

what's with all this cord tying and clamping if you're cutting it after it stops pulsing?  they only clamp it at the hospital because they cut it too early and blood would spray everywhere without the clamp.  it's really simple, wait 15min or so until it's not pulsing and it goes limp...then get sharp scissors (kitchen scissors work fine, sterilized of course) and cut it.  :)

Just to keep it from oozing as much blood. It still bleeds when you cut a limp cord because there is blood in the cord.

I wanted to add that I have decided that I am not a fan of the cord elastic we used this time. It came off the other day, but not completely (it wasn't completely dried out).  I obviously could be placing blame on the thing when it has nothing to do with it, but I wouldn't use it again.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#24 of 28 Old 04-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Are you referring to a "cord band?" I have that as one of my options and was thinking about using it, so would be interested to know. 

http://inhishands.com/Cord-Band.4760?filters=cord_20band-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post

Just to keep it from oozing as much blood. It still bleeds when you cut a limp cord because there is blood in the cord.

I wanted to add that I have decided that I am not a fan of the cord elastic we used this time. It came off the other day, but not completely (it wasn't completely dried out).  I obviously could be placing blame on the thing when it has nothing to do with it, but I wouldn't use it again.

#25 of 28 Old 04-02-2011, 08:43 AM

http://inhishands.com/Cord-Ring.73

it's actually this (though not this brand). the circle thing on the right goes around the cord stump (it's elastic, you use hemostats to stretch it) and then you trim the long tag off.

#26 of 28 Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 PM

Someone mentioned spraying with breastmilk. I think that's a great idea if you want to apply anything to it. I think covering it with gauze pads so it doesn't rub against blankets or clothes sounds like  a good idea

#27 of 28 Old 06-11-2011, 11:12 AM

i put breast milk on both my babies cords a few times a day at diaper changes until the stumps fell off.  We never had any cord problems.  I read somewhere recently that tying it off even though it's stopped pulsing is beneficial to keep blood from flowing from baby back into placenta but I can't remember where I read that and can not attest to it's validity.  We did not tie the cord and it didn't seem to be a problem.  a little blood did ooze out but we were in a birth pool so it didn't really matter.  

#28 of 28 Old 06-17-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightinmyhands View Post

Umm...actually there is a very good reason to tie the cord off before cutting it. There are some babies who don't completely switch their circulation immediately and if you DON'T tie, they will bleed from the stump. Trust me, it is terrifying. We waited an hour, at least, after the placenta was birthed. There was no blood from the placenta side of the cut, but there was from ds. We hurriedly tied it with something, didn't even worry about sterilizing because we need to get the bleeding stopped ASAP.

As for the OP, with ds1, he had the full hospital experience, cord clamp/alcohol combo. It took about 2 1/2 weeks. With ds2, we tied with a sterilized shoelace after about an hour, left it alone. It took about 5 days. Ds3 we had the above experience, left it alone & it came off after about 3 days.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page