got a letter from cps, now what? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#181 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 AM
 
preggers5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



I agree with you on many counts. It's easier to place good kids in foster homes than kids from bad families. So in general, to make it look like they are being effective they seem to pick on decent families. After all, why would they want to "get their hands dirty?"

 

My deceased grandfather (who was very Godly and wise) preferred to call CPS, Child Destructive Services. They don't have a bad reputation for no reason. The only people who are blind to their ways are the people who want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Well personally I don't know what to think of CPS b/c again and again I have seen ABUSED children left in homes (at least 10 times and this is people I have physically known and even family members) and deemed as "safe" and their cases closed. Right now I know 3 heroine addicts who's children do not live in clean nice homes and a woman who literally locks her children in their room the entire day (whom I called CPS on b/c she is friends with my SIL and while I was their with SIL her kids were locked up and crying for a drink and the mother said no and then the 5 y/o peed her pants and the mom left her in them, but CPS thought her home was fine!?!)

 

My family (and most of my friends) come from a rough background. We grew up in the "hood" and actually we only moved from it 6 months ago...everyone we know/knew always said CPS takes the kids from the good homes and leave them in the bad, b/c it always seemed to run true.

 

I have read articles about kids being taken I found bogus. I just read an article the other day about a woman who refused a c-section and they took her baby even though it was born perfectly healthy with not one complication! It ha been 5 years and they still have not given the child back!



 

preggers5 is offline  
#182 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tumble Bumbles - I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary. Your word is not evidence, nor are anecdotes. You're talking about them building a case based on unreasonable things like a dish on the table or a dog that chews on the couch. That happens very, very rarely. CPS takes children when they feel those children are in an unsafe environment. It's not that I've chosen to believe it; it's that it's true. There is nothing in this house to crucify me. CPS knocking on your door is not CPS out to get you, kill you, take your kids. It's them making sure your home is safe, plain and simple. Yes, there are some biased workers who make bad decisions, but I don't believe the risk of my children being taken for unreasonable reasons is high enough for me to deny them entry into my home.

shantimama likes this.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#183 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, now you're being intentionally obtuse -- and once again, completely twisting my words (and even adding some of your own that I never said!). I wonder why you feel it necessary to continue doing that?

 

I never once, not one time ever suggested or even hinted that CPS was "out" to "take" my children, KILL ME (seriously???) or that they were out to "get" me. My comments revolved solely around exercising my rights as a US citizen and being unwilling to allow a government agency (pick your government agency) to parade through my home without a warrant, evidence,  or probable cause. If you can find me a quote of mine in this thread where I said CPS was out to get me, out to take my children, or out to kill me (weird).... by all means, feel free to post it. The scenarios I posted were merely examples of things that could potentially happen as a result of one waiving their rights to due process and never once did I say CPS were going to "take" my kids.

 

Additionally, to blatantly ignore and to call into question the validity of people's personal experiences in this thread is insulting to say the least. It's essentially saying "that may have happened to you, but it will never happen to me" and that they must HAVE had a reason to have experienced what they did (because you keep asserting with 100% confidence CPS would never treat you in such a manner). It basically communicates that the folks who have had negative personal experiences must have "deserved" it somehow. My own house is probably a CPS worker's dream to be honest and I still wouldn't allow them free reign over my house and children out of some need to "prove" my innocence. I already know I'm innocent. They can jump through the hoops necessary to build my alleged guilt if they feel it necessary, with no help from me (although I would be respectful about it).

 

The 'evidence' I was speaking of had nothing to do with anecdotes or my opinion. If they are showing up at your door, that alone is evidence they already feel you are enough of a "suspect" to warrant coming to your home. You are aware that CPS has screeners to screen out blatantly bogus calls or those they believe to be completely false, right? So, if they've taken the time to show up at your door, there is already a suspicion planted. You admitted that yourself in your last post when you said they're there to "make sure your house is safe". If they had NO reason to believe your house wasn't safe, they wouldn't be there in the first place.

 

Like I said, and I stand by this -- any lawyer in their right mind would advise that the parents (respectfully and without being combative) decline access into their home without a warrant -- even if the parents were as innocent as doves. You believe your decision to do the opposite makes you appear confident, whereas I believe ... well... otherwise.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
#184 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Edited. 


Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
#185 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM
 
lightinmyhands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

tumble, I totally agree with you.  Respectfully decline their offer to come to your home.  Meet them at their place of business.  Authorities like to make themselves out to be the "good guys", they want to make cases and build them, put the bad guys in jail, take the innocent children away from the dangerous parents, etc.  a hero complex, if you will.  Sometimes the field effects that they work in and their desire to be saviors colors their perceptions and they will either accidentally or with intention, let their imaginations run wild or make crazy assumptions or just plain fabricate "facts".  It is unwise to let authorities of any sort into your personal space without a warrant.  Ever.  I could nearly promise that for every person that was innocent that went ahead and let them intrude upon their homes and everything was fine, there is probably at least one other innocent person who did the same and got very different results.  if they're coming to your home, in light of the screening of the calls, they already have preconceived notions in their heads.  Think about the types of awful stuff they see and deal with on a daily basis, it's bound to twist the thinking process. 

dayiscoming2006 likes this.
lightinmyhands is offline  
#186 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 AM
 
Tumble Bumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Edited.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
Tumble Bumbles is offline  
#187 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 11:43 AM
 
lovingmommyhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

Tumble Bumbles - I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary. Your word is not evidence, nor are anecdotes. You're talking about them building a case based on unreasonable things like a dish on the table or a dog that chews on the couch. That happens very, very rarely. CPS takes children when they feel those children are in an unsafe environment. It's not that I've chosen to believe it; it's that it's true. There is nothing in this house to crucify me. CPS knocking on your door is not CPS out to get you, kill you, take your kids. It's them making sure your home is safe, plain and simple. Yes, there are some biased workers who make bad decisions, but I don't believe the risk of my children being taken for unreasonable reasons is high enough for me to deny them entry into my home.

That may be well and good for you but to other people it's not something we want to do, give up our rights willy nilly at the whim of a disgruntled neighbor, friend or relative. Just. No. 

 


Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
lovingmommyhood is offline  
#188 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 11:57 AM
 
4myfinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm really starting to think that this whole debate has become futile.  

 
labortrials likes this.
4myfinn is offline  
#189 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 12:01 PM
 
4myfinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Thanks lightinmyhands for your perspective!

 

Out of respect for the OP -- and due to the fact that this thread has veered pretty off topic, I'm going to disengage from the discussion now. I think it's an important discussion to have totally, but I've basically said all I've wanted to say and now we're just going in circles. My hope is that everyone avail themselves of their rights and use them if they are ever in a similar situation.

 

My thoughts and prayers are with the OP and her family during this blessed (and unfortunately due to that stupid, unnecessary letter, stressful) time.

 

Good luck OP - we're all thinking of you and praying for you heartbeat.gif


Look like you posted this while I was typing, and I agree- it's gone way off topic.  But I do think it's a very important discussion to have.  OP, I'm also hoping for the very best for you and your family.

 

4myfinn is offline  
#190 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 PM
 
tonttu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi , I just stumbled across this and I wnated to share my story with you guys .

A few years ago , I moved across the country with my (then 4) kids in tow !

The people , that had lived in my house before I had rented it , had left me all their junk and trash and after nicely trying to tell them , that I don´t have the time or desire to dispose of THEIR things , especially since , I would have to pay for the pick-up , I got really mad and told them , I´d have a company come and dispose of it and send them the bill .

And it worked , they came and got their trash , but guess , what else ?

They called social services on me ! And after frantically contemplating , what to do , I decided that the "attack-is-the-best-defense" route was the best way to go .

So , I dressed my little daughter and my 4-year-old son up really nicely , the others were in school , took the letter and went to the social worker´s office . 

There , I went in with the biggets smile on my face "Hi , I got your letter and I was in the area , so I thought , I´d stop by and see , what it is all about"

And when he told me , someone had said , the house was a mess (which it was since we had just moved in) and I looked , like I couldn´t cope , I explained to him , that we had just moved in and had no furniture yet , so , yes , there are boxes everywhere , which he totally seemed to understand , and it really was the truth .

The only thing , he asked for , were the kids medical records and I told him , that I have the old ones at home , but haven´t found a new ped yet , so I would appreciate a good recommendation , since I am new in town ...orngbiggrin.gif

And of course , if he wants to come and visit , he is always welcome to and OF COURSE he can have a copy of their medical records ...(which I never sent)

Last I ever heard of them !

Seems , since I was sooo cooperative , they figured , it was not worth the trouble of going to check

shantimama and ElizabethE like this.

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

tonttu is offline  
#191 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 PM
 
Luvmykiddos03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, gone a few days and there were six more pages.  I'll admit, I didn't read it all.  redface.gif  

 

Tea_time, I bid you well!  You will always see it as the ends justifies the means.  If you negate a need for a warrant for you to do an investigation, you have lost any grounds here for trying to win anyone over to the CPS cause.  We will just have to agree to disagree.

 

 

On a side note, a CPS friend has corrected me, since we got to talking about CPS reform.  They said it is only a recent phenomenon that there have been rare trials by jury in CPS cases.  And the majority of those instances, are closed to the public, even when parents request that it is not.  Parents must request a trial by jury and the Judge can still deny the request, to which they can appeal.  They had a name for the kind of trial it was, but I forgot.

 

Back in my day growing up, this was not at all an option at all and if it were, it wasn't exercised.  I suppose with the internet age, people are learning how to exercise their rights, maybe?

 

Perhaps it could do with the 18-24 months a parent is given now to fight for their kids back or their parental rights are terminated.  In ages past, a case could go on for years, so perhaps it never got to the point of a trial?  I don't know.  I'd be curious to know, though.  Hm, I'll have to ask, now that I think about it.

 

Most are familiar with the "hearings" that includes the Judge, CPS personnel, and the parents (with a lawyer, maybe).

 

The family courts are still sealed.  This needs to be changed.

 

 

Preggers5, sadly, your Grandfather was right, "Child Destructive Services".

 

You know, even if one "saves" a child from abuse, it is proven that children are more likely to endure abuse *in* foster care than in the home they were removed from.  Whether it is from an adult or by a peer, it remains proven that children endure more abuse in the system.  And this "end" justifies the means?

 

Valarie, I appreciate your input on what one should look for in a lawyer and was really looking forward to your suggestions, but I was hoping for more concrete questions for one to ask.

 

For anyone who wants to find a lawyer for CPS cases, you can request one from here:

 

http://www.falseallegation.org/

 

 

***Out of curiosity, I decided to do a quick search on finding out why the trial by jury has changed, and this was all I could find:

 

http://familyrights.us/cpswatch/parents_guide/#Don%27t%20Waive%20Your%20Right%20to%20a%20Trial

 

 

I hope the OP is doing well! love.gif

dayiscoming2006 likes this.
Luvmykiddos03 is offline  
#192 of 244 Old 04-07-2011, 03:37 PM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have said again and again that my decision isn't about appearing confident; it's about cooperating so it can be over and done with as soon as possible. I haven't asked you to give up your rights. I've repeated that as well.

I'm aware that it's legal to refuse them entry. It's also legal to allow them in.
 

 

Quote:
You know, even if one "saves" a child from abuse, it is proven that children are more likely to endure abuse *in* foster care than in the home they were removed from.


Source, please. Reputable one, preferably.


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#193 of 244 Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM
 
APToddlerMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by preggers5 View Post



The words in below in bold letters is taking quite a risk. Just thinking they won't build a case against you does not protect you. Excercising your rights will give you a much better chance to protect yourself and your child/ren.

 

Many government agencies are very deceitful in their tactics. They honestly don't care about you and your family (in many cases). They may show some type of sympathy or emotion. But to say they really care would be stretching it. They are merely doing their job. My relatives children are proof of that.



*Seriously* offensive and sweeping generalization.  Not to mention, this is just not true.  These sorts of statements are based in a totally irrational fear of CPS.  Like I said in a previous post, I would be way more worried about being struck by lightening that having CPS take my kids.  It drives me crazy when CPS posts on here fan the flame with no real basis for anyone's claims.  If you are going to say it, back it up.

 

APToddlerMama is offline  
#194 of 244 Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
 
Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No real basis? What about all the posters on this thread who have said they PERSONALLY had their kids taken away for rubbish reasons? Or do their opinions not count....

 

I absolutely fear CPS, in the area I live they would take my kids away in a SECOND just for all my alternative parenting choices- in fact one of them alone would be enough. Add in to that I am a young single mom by choice (also VERY un-accepted here), I can't see how I would ever get them back. Actually if you ask me what I fear most, after something happening to my kids- it would be without a doubt CPS! But then I guess that *is* something happening to my kids. And probably more traumatic than a lot of other things that could. 

 

I have felt very empowered by everything Tumble Bumbles has said. I don't live in the US so I don't know if we have the same rights here. But it is great to know that we do not have to let them in just because they ask it and what the consequences are of doing so! No way would I take the chance that their conservative beliefs would destroy my family. It would be pretty hard to find a doctor here who would actually recommend I keep my kids. Things like not vaxing for philosophical reasons is considered neglectful and wrong almost unquestionably. And that is just one of the many non-traditional things we do. 

Logan is offline  
#195 of 244 Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 PM
 
Mom2Grace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been following this thread since the beginning.

 

I, personally, would not have a problem allowing DCFS to enter my house.  Partly, because if they feel the need to fabricate a case against me, then they are going to do it anyway.  My understanding is that once they show up at your door to investigate and you request a warrent, the evidence is already there.  It'll take one phone call to get that warrant and they'll be back with a police officer (and the bad cases I've heard of--severe neglect/abuse, the police officer is already there with the warrant).

 

But, I've lived with DCFS as part of our family for over 28 years and while I would hate for my kids to be taken away for a fabricated story from a caseworker---I still believe that there are more positive stories than negative (we just don't all share the positive stories).  There are corrupt caseworkers, there are abusive foster parents, but there are also wonderful caseworkers and wonderful foster parents. 

 

Mom2Grace is offline  
#196 of 244 Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 PM
 
tea_time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

No real basis? What about all the posters on this thread who have said they PERSONALLY had their kids taken away for rubbish reasons? Or do their opinions not count....

 


What about the former and current CPS workers who have posted in this thread who have stated that they cared about their families and worked with others who felt/did the same?  Or do our opinions not count?  Are we lying?  Can't we all admit that there are both good and bad parts to the system, it's not all one (or the other)?  Just b/c many women in this forum have had horrible (and horrific) experiences does not mean that all families and children have the same.  It is so strange to me that so many people are making that leap!

 

Try to generalize this to other experiences that we have as families or parents.  For example, your child has a horrible teacher in school.  Would you then say that all teachers are bad and out to get children/don't care about children?  Or a doctor that gave poor care.  Would that mean that all doctors shouldn't be trusted?  I could go on and on.  Of course I'd add that those experiences wouldn't be as serious as those dealt with in child protective services, but I'm trying to make a point here.  Just b/c you have a horrible experience does not mean that everyone else will/has as well.  

 

shantimama and APToddlerMama like this.

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

tea_time is offline  
#197 of 244 Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 PM
 
Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I still haven't seen where people have said all CPS workers are bad. What I have seen is people say do not trust them, because they *may not* have your best interests at heart. If they are there investigating you purely because you had an unassisted birth (for example), you can assume that chances are they already disagree with your choice to birth unassisted, therefore the chances are higher that they are NOT on your side and there to prove you are a great parent. And just because there are plenty of great workers doesn't mean we shouldn't be careful.....all people here are saying is that you should exercise your full rights and due caution *just in case* the ones you get are the ones who would take alternatively parented children from an otherwise loving home. And I honestly think that there are more of those workers than you would think. I think you are underestimating just how many people view these parenting choices as a form of purposeful neglect. And I don't mean they are bad people or even bad social workers, just that they have very mainstream-centred views and do think we are choosing to neglect our kids by our choices. I think they honestly believe they ARE doing what is in the best interests of the child, and so do the judge, and police officers and everyone else involved- and THAT is what scares me the most. Because how do you fight against it when most of the professionals think you are wrong as well! 

Logan is offline  
#198 of 244 Old 04-09-2011, 01:19 AM
 
MittensKittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea_time View Post


What about the former and current CPS workers who have posted in this thread who have stated that they cared about their families and worked with others who felt/did the same?  Or do our opinions not count?  Are we lying?  Can't we all admit that there are both good and bad parts to the system, it's not all one (or the other)?  

 


I am absolutely unable to say anything about CPS or equivalent organizations in the US, since I no longer live in the US and have never dealt with them. Tea time, your contributions to this thread have been really interesting to me. Of course organizations like CPS invoke fear in people, since they have certain powers that are very scary to them. It is good to read the other side's perspective, if you like.

 

Despite not knowing how CPS functions, or what citizens' rights are in dealing with them, I can say this (in relation to your quoted comment): every government institution

has dedicated, common-sense folks and those who are corrupt, misguided, and so on. I don't think anyone posting in this thread suggests that people like you do not exist, or even that the vast majority of CPS workers are competent and normal. It is, however, impossible to know whether you are dealing with an individual who will portray your home situation realistically, or one who will fabricate evidence, in advance. When they knock on your door, you know nothing about them and how ethical they are.

MamaofLiam and ElizabethE like this.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
MittensKittens is offline  
#199 of 244 Old 04-09-2011, 01:31 AM
 
MittensKittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I still haven't seen where people have said all CPS workers are bad. What I have seen is people say do not trust them, because they *may not* have your best interests at heart. If they are there investigating you purely because you had an unassisted birth (for example), you can assume that chances are they already disagree with your choice to birth unassisted, therefore the chances are higher that they are NOT on your side and there to prove you are a great parent.



ITA with you. Here is my experience. I live in Eastern Europe. If I remember your username correctly, you're an SMC, right? Me too. I was a single mother by choice in a country where people have trouble living off three salaries, I had a UC, AND I am a foreigner. Lots of red flags, apparently. When I went to register my son's birth, there were some concerns about human trafficking (which is an issue in these parts) because I gave birth solo and did not tape the birth, though I did have prenatal care records and took a picture with the placenta and baby attached.

 

It was suggested to me that local social services would come to see my home, to assess whether I indeed "gave birth there". Obviously I cleaned up after the birth and the suggestion was ridiculous. I refused, pointing out that I had not done anything illegal and that social workers would not be able to see evidence of the birth two months later. If they could (blood, mucus, rotting placenta lying about :)), THEN they would certainly need to be there. We did a DNA test to prove my son was mine. Which, despite me having to pay for it out of pocket, was fine I think. It was very stressful, but I do understand. They still wanted to have social workers come to my house even after that, which I again refused. In the end, we settled on a visit by two police officers (no local CPS) with my lawyer present. They did not have a warrant and their visit was especially pointless after the DNA test was already done, but I let them in so I could finally obtain the birth certificate. They left immediately, wrote up a report basically dictated by my lawyer, and my son finally got his papers.


I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
MittensKittens is offline  
#200 of 244 Old 04-09-2011, 07:13 AM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't think a handful of anecdotes about CPS' mistakes is an adequate portrayal of the accurate risk of that happening to me.

 

I think the risk of a CPS worker taking my kids for no real reason is too low for me to be concerned with.

 

I work closely with my son's school and teacher; my youngest son's daycare will vouch for me, too. I have a good relationship with my in-laws, our pediatrician, etc. I feel strongly that I would be able to prove my worth as a parent to CPS--or against them in a court of law.


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#201 of 244 Old 04-09-2011, 04:00 PM
 
sosurreal09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

yeah but WHILE you were in court proving it they would have your kids


 Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

sosurreal09 is offline  
#202 of 244 Old 04-09-2011, 04:18 PM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not necessarily. CPS rarely places children in foster care when other relatives are available. We have lots of relatives here.


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#203 of 244 Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM
 
sosurreal09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

good luck with that

ElizabethE likes this.

 Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

sosurreal09 is offline  
#204 of 244 Old 04-09-2011, 05:05 PM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks. I hope CPS never knocks on any of our doors, but I'm sure if they do, we'll all handle it the best way for our own individual families. :)


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#205 of 244 Old 04-09-2011, 05:55 PM
 
ElizabethE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post





*Seriously* offensive and sweeping generalization. Sure it was, but she also said "in most cases", which at the very least indicates "not always".  Not to mention, this is just not true.<<Now YOU are the one generalizing.  These sorts of statements are based in a totally irrational fear of CPS. Let's examine that. We're talking about people in a potentially very real position of power (CPS). And, over the most precious things in our lives-- our children, our family. Now consider that something we are doing-- UC -- is not very easily received and accepted in our society and in fact is commonly considered irresponsible and reckless. Add in that most of us have heard horror stories about CPS, whether true or not, and it sounds like a not so totally irrational fear to me.  Like I said in a previous post, I would be way more worried about being struck by lightening that having CPS take my kids. Great analogy! Sounds like one we use to describe the safety of UC! :D  It drives me crazy when CPS posts on here on where??? fan the flame with no real basis for anyone's claims. I think you just told several people that their stories were lies. If you are going to say it, back it up. See previous sentence.

 


Yep.

 


treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
ElizabethE is offline  
#206 of 244 Old 04-09-2011, 06:01 PM
 
ElizabethE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by tea_time View Post




What about the former and current CPS workers who have posted in this thread who have stated that they cared about their families and worked with others who felt/did the same? Yeah, because they represent ALL CPS workers. eyesroll.gif Or do our opinions not count?  Are we lying?  Can't we all admit that there are both good and bad parts to the system, it's not all one (or the other)?  Just b/c many women in this forum have had horrible (and horrific) experiences does not mean that all families and children have the same.  It is so strange to me that so many people are making that leap!

 

Try to generalize this to other experiences that we have as families or parents.  For example, your child has a horrible teacher in school.  Would you then say that all teachers are bad and out to get children/don't care about children?  Or a doctor that gave poor care.  Would that mean that all doctors shouldn't be trusted?  I could go on and on.  Of course I'd add that those experiences wouldn't be as serious as those dealt with in child protective services, but I'm trying to make a point here.  Just b/c you have a horrible experience does not mean that everyone else will/has as well.  

 

The reason we are using extreme caution with who you do and do not let into your home is because you don't know WHO is coming to your door. Are all CPS workers saints or devils? We can probably mostly agree here that it is neither. So, don't just automatically open your door assuming the best.
 

 

Luvmykiddos03 likes this.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
ElizabethE is offline  
#207 of 244 Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 PM
 
Irishmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the bat cave with heartmama
Posts: 45,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I have felt very empowered by everything Tumble Bumbles has said. I don't live in the US so I don't know if we have the same rights here. But it is great to know that we do not have to let them in just because they ask it and what the consequences are of doing so! If CPS ever came to my door I would ask them to come back tomorrow, and we would be long gone by then! No way would I take the chance that their conservative beliefs would destroy my family. It would be pretty hard to find a doctor here who would actually recommend I keep my kids. Things like not vaxing for philosophical reasons is considered neglectful and wrong almost unquestionably. And that is just one of the many non-traditional things we do. 

If you don't live in the US, you don't have the US Constitution, 4th Amendment? on your side. So don't feel empowered by the laws of a different country, they are totally irrelevant outside the borders of the US.

Irishmommy is offline  
#208 of 244 Old 04-10-2011, 09:14 AM
 
APToddlerMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm done with this thread.  If ya'll want to be terrified of CPS, go ahead.  I am going to go ahead being more afraid of being struck by lightening since it is way more likely.  If people are getting their facts from a few stories they have heard here and there, in which they have themselves no way of even knowing are true or not, that portray CPS as being out to get everyone's kids, well...I don't know what to say. 

Munchkinmaker likes this.
APToddlerMama is offline  
#209 of 244 Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 AM
 
MittensKittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

I'm done with this thread.  If ya'll want to be terrified of CPS, go ahead.  I am going to go ahead being more afraid of being struck by lightening since it is way more likely.  If people are getting their facts from a few stories they have heard here and there, in which they have themselves no way of even knowing are true or not, that portray CPS as being out to get everyone's kids, well...I don't know what to say. 



1. It is quite possible being struck by lightening is more likely than CPS removing a child for fabricated or political reasons.

2. Stories we hear online or in real life may be true or false, and relying on them as a source is a bad idea. Indeed, we have no way of knowing what is true and what is not.

3. When a CPS worker shows up at your door, those first points don't matter much. It's not lightening you're dealing with, it's a CPS worker. Stories that may or may not be true don't matter either. This has nothing to do with being terrified, and everything with assessing the situation at hand. It is absolutely true that you know nothing about the person or people who come to your door, and whether they are competent or "evil and out to get you". It is true that they have the power to take your children. Hence, being afraid when a CPS worker shows up is a little different than "living in fear".

 

Obviously, everyone makes their own decisions, all of which can have consequences. I don't think it is fair to portray people who posted here as people who go about life being terrified of CPS. However, if they do show up, there is more than one valid way to deal with them. In my case, I did not relish the thought of social workers assessing my family life because I had a UC. I know I am outside the mainstream; I am a single mother by choice (any single mother is automatically seen as less than competent where we live, patriarchal culture and all that), cosleep, am vegetarian, and am not entirely fluent in the local language. Other friends who are actually from the country I live in and had a UC dealt with social workers with no problems. None of their kids were taken away and that didn't even enter the possibilities. In fact, social workers helped more than one of those families obtain a birth certificate. Me, I preferred dealing with the police service (along with my lawyer) and getting a DNA test done to dealing with local social workers. I don't go about my life being afraid of them, but of course the very thought of my kids being shipped off to an Eastern European orphanage doesn't appeal to me much. Judging by the way neighbors react to my babywearing, breastfeeding in public, and not owning a stroller (!!!), I do have some stuff to be afraid of. Perhaps I'm very, very wrong. A family who grows MJ in their yard and magic mushrooms in their home actually had no problems letting in social workers, who then helped them tremendously. But I did get my baby's birth certificate, and I am pleased I saw no social workers.

ElizabethE likes this.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
MittensKittens is offline  
#210 of 244 Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 AM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't appreciate being painted as blind to the risks for having the opposite opinion about CPS.

 

In that regard, both sides are quite even when it comes to being depicted unfairly by the other.


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off