Sage is here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son Sage was born March 14, 2011 at 8:04 AM after a long night of labor, into a birthing pool unassisted at home. He weighed 8 lbs. 14 oz., 20 1/2 inches, totally perfect, born peaceful without crying. He is a laid back, easy going, happy and gentle baby.

The birth itself was not painless. I had every intention and belief and conviction that it could be, but it wasn't. There were no orgasms, no angels visible, no glowing lights or any cosmic revelations that I was healed and that I had transformed into a new person. But, I'm capable, I'm braver, I'm better, I'm stronger, and I'm healthier than I was before. I never once was in fear, I knew I could do this and that everything was going as it should, and it kept me strong enough to handle it. And now there is room in my heart for forgiveness. Forgiveness of the past, forgiveness of myself, forgiveness of other people I have judged. This was a good thing for me, and I needed it. It was my best birth and although I cannot claim UC is perfect, it's "perfecter" than the hospital and the midwife experiences. I also know that my experience would have been another horrible, traumatic birth experience for me if intervention had  taken place in this one. I am thankful that there was none.

I did have some tearing, and it is healing on its own just fine. The baby had the cord around his neck, twice, and it was not deadly or an emergency or life altering. I also had some bleeding which concerned me and so I surprised myself by swallowing a small piece of placenta (never thought I would go there). Baby and I are perfectly great and fine. Thank you for all your love and support. Hope to see you in the lounge. :)

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That is excellent news!! Congratulations! I'm so happy that your birth was what you expected it to be. I have followed some of your post and agree with a lot of your feelings and thoughts!! Enjoy your new bundle of joy and let me know how BC goes as we both live in Florida.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yoma-- I wouldn't say it went as I expected, lol, but that I did leave things open to expect anything that comes and deal with it accordingly. I really want you all to know that you CAN do it, and not to get discouraged too easily, and not to listen to any of the negative outside influences that want to convince you of how dangerous or foolish this is, because it's not the case. It may not be as fun as some women have it-- the kind where they can't wait to do it again-- but it's still THE best way to give birth that I can think of. I have had a doctor hospital birth and a midwife tended birth.

Hey, is BC "birth certificates"? Because I was thinking of talking about that a little. Is that what you're asking?

Thanks much! :D

Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Congratulations! Welcome Sage!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 PM

Congrats!! So glad to hear all went well!
As an aside, I have a friend who gave birth yesterday and named her son Sage:)

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:16 PM

Congrats Elizabeth!! So happy your little one is earthside and that you are in a healthy place. joy.gif

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

YAY congratulations!!! I am so happy to see this :) I hadn't seen you posting for a little while and I knew you were due in March so I was wondering how everything was going. I am so happy to see you got your UC and that even though it didn't go perfect (I loved the part about no orgasms or angels singing lol) ... that is was perfect in its own way!!

Congrats on little Sage and congrats to you!! joy.gif

Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!

LOL- Trust me, I had so wanted to report about angels, but alas, nada. But I'm infinitely happy for those of you/us who can have that bliss, because I know it exists and I believe in it and you, despite my own experience.

We can do this!!!

Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM

Congrats to you! joy.gif It sounds like it was a pretty nice birth. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Congratulations!

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

Yoma-- I wouldn't say it went as I expected, lol, but that I did leave things open to expect anything that comes and deal with it accordingly. I really want you all to know that you CAN do it, and not to get discouraged too easily, and not to listen to any of the negative outside influences that want to convince you of how dangerous or foolish this is, because it's not the case. It may not be as fun as some women have it-- the kind where they can't wait to do it again-- but it's still THE best way to give birth that I can think of. I have had a doctor hospital birth and a midwife tended birth.

Hey, is BC "birth certificates"? Because I was thinking of talking about that a little. Is that what you're asking?

Thanks much! :D

I too have done the hospital birth and midwife birth but this is my first UP/UC. Honestly, I'm looking forward to it. I've searched and searched my conscience and I have found no fear concerning this decision. Yes, BC is for birth certificates. I did read a post a couple of days ago about this and there was one reply on it from someone in Florida who had to get it and they posted the requirements, but I'm not sure how long ago they did it or even if the requirements are still current.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

congrats on the birth of your son and on your peaceful UC :)

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the love, ladies. :) It was the right choice and I'm glad I did it.

Yoma, it was very easy! Let me tell you what we did for BC. Florida fortunately is a very easy state for this issue, I have come to understand.

Shortly after you have your baby (you have up to a year, but the sooner the better for everyone-- days after or the same week is ideal) you need to reach the Department of Health for the county your baby was born in. I had already found the number and name I needed to contact ahead of time so that I was prepared after birth. My husband called for me the next day and it was very casual. We set an "appointment", but it was very laid back... I just went in with the whole fam and the woman in charge laughed a little, said she had never done this before, and even had to make a few phone calls herself because she wasn't sure what to fill out in certain parts.

A few people would come and go as we were doing this and people were all asking if this was planned at home, and if it were just me and my husband, and I was just very open and honest in admitting the truth to them and felt and behaved totally innocently and blameless and people were smiley and polite. No one was rude or acted like we were crazy or they were going to call social services on us or anything. In fact, people seemed kind of in awe. We seemed like just a normal, sweet family so I think they could respect that. My husband and I signed the certificate after we looked it over and approved, and we had to provide proof of pregnancy. I brought in an ultrasound which she didn't think would be sufficient but she copied it just in case. I also brought in an old letter talking about my pregnancy and my intended midwife for prenatal care at that time, which was directly from the state because at that time we were needing to get Medicaid. So, the state had already had proof of this pregnancy, and the letter was representative of that. She also needed copies of our driver's licenses and social security cards. I actually misplaced my SSN card but had a really good color copy from some other occasion I had had to provide this, and they totally accepted that. It was very easy.

Oh, and while we were there, they asked us if we were interested in getting the baby a social security card, and we said yes. So that was taken care of in the visit, too.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:28 PM

Congratulations!!!!  joy.gif   Enjoy your LO!!!  love.gif

Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM

Found it! ;) That's awesome, Elizabeth!! Congratulations!! partytime.gif I love that it wasn't precisely what you expected, but that you're still so aware of how much healing you experienced through it, and that you feel it stretched out your heart to make room for forgiveness - that's an amazing gift for Sage to have brought you! :) And his peaceful birth was an amazing gift for you to give him, particularly with all you've been through to reach this point.

How nice that the health department was a pleasant experience for you, as well!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations! Welcome Sage!

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 03-31-2011, 04:07 PM

Welcome baby and congrats mama!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Congrats!!! <3

Old 04-03-2011, 12:57 PM

Cangrats wondeful birth story.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 PM

congratulations love.gif

Old 04-05-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. The first birth I didn't feel some type of traumatization from! Highly recommend this path to all who can.

On a downside, got the SSC in the mail today. They misspelled his name. :/ Oh well. Now I've got to deal with that small hassle. :)

Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Oh geez! That's a bummer! Maybe someone in the SS office needs some enlightenment on UC... ;)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:45 PM

I am so Happy for you 

When you said, "But, I'm capable, I'm braver, I'm better, I'm stronger, and I'm healthier than I was before. I never once was in fear, I knew I could do this and that everything was going as it should, and it kept me strong enough to handle it. And now there is room in my heart for forgiveness. Forgiveness of the past, forgiveness of myself, forgiveness of other people I have judged. This was a good thing for me, and I needed it"

I really connected with that. You put words to how I felt especially about forgiveness of others and the past. My birth really changed me in that regard. 

User Tag List