breaking bag of water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With a couple of my births I had a bulging bag of water which they would break and the baby came right after. Will I need to break my water if it is bulging or will it break on it's own?

Open minded, easy going mama to 4 girls and a beautiful baby boy heartbeat.gif

#2 of 19 Old 04-07-2011, 01:40 PM

Mama, are you perhaps over-thinking it? :) You won't *need* to break your bag of water. It will most likely break on its own, or your baby may even be born in it.

Remember, birth is simple, and just happens!  :)

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#3 of 19 Old 04-07-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Haha yeah I tend to over think things! I pretty much know by using common sense but then I over analyze and just have to ask :) 

#4 of 19 Old 04-08-2011, 08:41 PM

My water broke as she was coming out

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#5 of 19 Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 PM

With my second dd (unplanned UC), my water broke just before she was born. With my 3rd dd (mw attended hb, but I did everything myself), my water broke as her shoulders were born. No need to break the bag of waters artificially, it'll happen on its own. And if it doesn't and baby is born in the caul, that's good luck!

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#6 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 AM

My water never broke until pretty close to the end. I wouldn't ever artificially break the water actually, unless there was some kind of emergency where I thought I needed to get the baby out NOW and that would help. If it ain't broke.....don't break it lol.gif

#7 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 02:57 PM

yeahthat.gif  Listen to your intuition. There isn't really a need to break it yourself, but your body and your instinct may take over in that department, so just be present and honor what you are hearing.

Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#8 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I figured as much but just wanted to see if anyone had done it. smile.gif

#9 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Maria, I did. :) I broke my bag. And I surprised myself when doing it.

#10 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 07:00 PM

Elizabeth, what did you use to break it? 

#11 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 08:09 PM

I've broken my bag each time...it's quite tough and actually it was VERY painful to me once I hit 10cm to keep laboring with it intact. The bag itself was hard to break, tough like pleather, is what dh says. Once it was broken, the pain eased up and birth followed within 45 minutes. 

I will say that I'm very careful, like i said, completely dilated, head fully engaged (it's usually in the canal and bulging bag present) There is a risk of prolapsed cord if there is any space. 

Hugs mama, i don't think you're overthinking it. I think you're addressing things that have come up in common culture, and mindfully choosing what works for you.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#12 of 19 Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post

I've broken my bag each time...it's quite tough and actually it was VERY painful to me once I hit 10cm to keep laboring with it intact. The bag itself was hard to break, tough like pleather, is what dh says. Once it was broken, the pain eased up and birth followed within 45 minutes. 

I will say that I'm very careful, like i said, completely dilated, head fully engaged (it's usually in the canal and bulging bag present) There is a risk of prolapsed cord if there is any space. 

Hugs mama, i don't think you're overthinking it. I think you're addressing things that have come up in common culture, and mindfully choosing what works for you.

Thanks multimomma! I do feel silly asking certain questions and sometimes I do over think, but if I don't ask I will never know! I love learning how other people do things and the pros and cons. I just remember with my last couple of births the bag was bulging and they broke it and my baby came just like that! I really wouldn't feel comfortable trying to break it myself but I guess if for some reason I felt I wanted too I could. What did you use to break it?

#13 of 19 Old 04-11-2011, 05:23 AM

Either it will break on its own, or your baby will be born "in the caul" and you'll break it after the birth, but I hear that doesn't happen too frequently. With my oldest they broke my bag during labor to speed it up. With my youngest, the bag broke when I was pushing, just before my son emerged. You could break it if you wanted to, but I don't recommend it.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#14 of 19 Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 AM

When I was giving birth to my son, my bag of waters broke at the very end of labor. It had been bulging out like you describe for a while - it was quite interesting to see vernix floating around in there when I looked at it with a mirror. I second the other poster who said that labor becomes more painful after the waters break. Breaking the waters early in labor can increase your risk of a cord prolapse, which is a dangerous medical emergency. I would leave it be!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#15 of 19 Old 04-11-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post

When I was giving birth to my son, my bag of waters broke at the very end of labor. It had been bulging out like you describe for a while - it was quite interesting to see vernix floating around in there when I looked at it with a mirror. I second the other poster who said that labor becomes more painful after the waters break. Breaking the waters early in labor can increase your risk of a cord prolapse, which is a dangerous medical emergency. I would leave it be!

Thanks I'm sure I will just leave it alone :) I wouldn't be comfortable trying to poke around down there.

#16 of 19 Old 04-11-2011, 05:04 PM

Yes, I definitely recommend leaving it alone. I fully intended to, myself. I changed my plan after I listened to my body, though.

Logan, I used my fingernails.

Remember, simplicity is key! It's normal for us to over-think things out of being curious and careful, but deep down we will know what is right. And of course there is no such thing as a stupid question. :)

#17 of 19 Old 04-11-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

Yes, I definitely recommend leaving it alone.

yeahthat.gif

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#18 of 19 Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM

This is my 4th pregnancy. First 2 babies were born in hospital where they artificially ruptured my bag of waters both times without permission!! without even telling me or warning me of what they were doing. Just innocent dilation checks (eyeroll).

For my 3rd baby I had an unassisted home water birth. My son's head was emerging in the bag of waters. At the time I instinctually reached down without thinking at all and ripped the sac with my hand and then his entire head was born, followed very quickly by his body on the next contraction. Since then I have seen a lot of youtube videos where the baby is born entirely in the bag and I don't think there is any problem with that if it doesn't rupture on its own while the baby is being born. On autopilot when I ripped the sac with my son, I think maybe I knew deep down he might be born faster if the bag of waters were broken.....but at the moment I really did not think at all, I just did it. 

Now I am pregnant again and planning an unassisted home water birth in august and I am thinking if she emerges in the bag of waters i will try not to break it, unless i really feel another strong instinctual urge to do so in the moment. 

#19 of 19 Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 PM

I broke mine with my third just as he was crowing- used my fingernails- it was a tough bag and took some doing. he had light mec but was totally fine .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page