A little TOO crunchy for me... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

***edited as I read further I realize this is a joke site but still, quite a weird thought, lol***

Going too far?  I am not sure if this was a joke, but came across it when searching for what my placenta options were if there was meconium in the fluid at birth since I had originally planned a few raw smoothies.  Now I know there are mamas out there who gag at the thought of consuming placenta, though it doesn't phase me, but this one had me gag a little in my mouth.  Just thought I would share cause it's something I have never heard of before and not even sure if its serious.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:T4pyXiWFpm4J:themamatao.blogspot.com/2011/03/meconium-is-there-reason-it-looks-like.html+consuming+placenta+meconium&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com 

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#2 of 25 Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

I'm not UCing or even pregnant but this caught my eye and wow I want to barf now...No offense to anyone but I guess I just found out exactly how crunchy I am NOT.

#3 of 25 Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 PM

That would not be for me.

#4 of 25 Old 04-18-2011, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

That blog is pretty insulting :(

ElizabethE likes this.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#5 of 25 Old 04-19-2011, 05:42 AM

I can't look. disappointed.gif  Don't want to puke coffee . . .

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#6 of 25 Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post

That blog is pretty insulting :(

I agree.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#7 of 25 Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 AM

ok, so.... I've never totally recovered my energy or totally banished the post partum sadness since the birth of my last child, nearly 2 years ago now.  I consumed most of my placenta and though I thought it helped with energy immediately pp.....  in the long run I wish i had an extra placenta or two to consume.  Not that I could ever bring myself to do it (though I have seen numerous dogs do it for their pups)... maybe there is something to this mecomium eating thing?  i hate to dismiss it offhand just cuz it sounds really gross.  So many people would stop me mid sentence when I talked about eating my placenta because the thought was literally making them want to barf--- 'but why?' i would protest... as it just seemed so natural to me.  So maybe this too could be helpful?.  I also can't completely dismiss the notion as I'm in my 5th month of yet another pregnancy having never regained my energy after the last one.  I am so desperately exhausted I am almost tempted to research this more to see if there really is anything to it.  Then again, i find that I am often that crunchy. :)

#8 of 25 Old 04-19-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightinmyhands View Post

ok, so.... I've never totally recovered my energy or totally banished the post partum sadness since the birth of my last child, nearly 2 years ago now.  I consumed most of my placenta and though I thought it helped with energy immediately pp.....  in the long run I wish i had an extra placenta or two to consume.  Not that I could ever bring myself to do it (though I have seen numerous dogs do it for their pups)... maybe there is something to this mecomium eating thing?  i hate to dismiss it offhand just cuz it sounds really gross.  So many people would stop me mid sentence when I talked about eating my placenta because the thought was literally making them want to barf--- 'but why?' i would protest... as it just seemed so natural to me.  So maybe this too could be helpful?.  I also can't completely dismiss the notion as I'm in my 5th month of yet another pregnancy having never regained my energy after the last one.  I am so desperately exhausted I am almost tempted to research this more to see if there really is anything to it.  Then again, i find that I am often that crunchy. :)

Please, please, please tell me you're joking and you wouldn't really eat baby poop. (In case you hadn't realised it's a joke site. It got me for a second until I saw the post about UCing quads.) Perhaps the more palatable option would be to get your iron checked as that may be your issue?

(Apologies for jumping in, saw this on new posts and was intrigued.)

#9 of 25 Old 04-19-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

I agree.

I know, which is weird because if you look at the bloggers profile she claims to be a homebirthing natural mama.  I can't figure out what her angle is, lol.  From reading her posts, you would think she is completely discusted with anyone who has more natural unmedicalized beliefs or practices.  Who knows what is going on there.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#10 of 25 Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM

To me, it just seems that her entire blog exists solely to take "crunchy" beyond extreme and make fun of it. I'm all about being able to laugh about yourself and some quirky things we as non-mainstream moms do, but the blog just seems to try and paint us all as lunatics and zealots.

ElizabethE likes this.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#11 of 25 Old 04-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Ew gross! But funny!

CherryBomb likes this.
#12 of 25 Old 04-20-2011, 10:17 AM

I love The Mama Tao!

liz-hippymom likes this.

Mama to Eris, born 9/21/2010! energy.gifbellyhair.gif@earthshod on Twitter.
#13 of 25 Old 04-20-2011, 12:29 PM

nope. would never really be able to bring myself to eat baby poop.  however, I doubt it would be at all harmful....just gross.

#14 of 25 Old 04-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:

nope. would never really be able to bring myself to eat baby poop.  however, I doubt it would be at all harmful....just gross.

Actually, I got curious, and did some reading about meconium. Just for gags, really, but I wanted to know. It used to be thought that meconium was sterile. In fact, it can and usually does contain several nasty organisms you wouldn't want to eat, including a variety of staph that stomach acid won't always kill, and enteroviruses.
Jynuine likes this.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#15 of 25 Old 04-21-2011, 01:16 PM

interesting, lyra.... :)  thanks!

#16 of 25 Old 04-21-2011, 04:49 PM

Mama Tao is a joke site.  She/they make up crazy posts to make fun of naturally minded families.  Especially women on MDC.  They get a kick out of thinking that some people are taking them seriously.  Go to, Fed Up with Natural Childbirth, on Facebook.  Dr Amy fans.

mommato5 and ElizabethE like this.
#17 of 25 Old 04-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Thanks for posting this.  I actually found some of what I was reading freaking hilarious!!!  I can't wait for my breastfed, cosleeping, babyworn, unvaccinated daughter to sleep so I can go back to the site and have a good laugh.

caffix.gif

#18 of 25 Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 PM

Yep! Mama Tao is a regular poster on Dr. Amy homebirth basher blog. Its quite sad.

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif
#19 of 25 Old 04-30-2011, 10:55 AM

Yeah it is sad... bitter people who lash out at others without any real provocation. Just the existence of people who feel differently and take the approach we take is provocation. And all the time spent on it! We'd be better off redirecting our attention to things which aren't about bullying and which actually care about us and attempt to understand us as human beings. peace.gif 

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#20 of 25 Old 04-30-2011, 07:20 PM

What's sad is the amount of time some of us spend on those sad people lashing out at us. We are indeed better off ignoring them, dismissing them with an amused chuckle.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#21 of 25 Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 AM

Heather, in a way, I agree.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#22 of 25 Old 05-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Really? It's rare that I give such people the time of day, and I grow bored with them quickly when I do as they're only amusing momentarily. I've never met anyone who displays the desperation you are observing though, so at least it's not very common.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#23 of 25 Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:

ok, so.... I've never totally recovered my energy or totally banished the post partum sadness since the birth of my last child, nearly 2 years ago now.  I consumed most of my placenta and though I thought it helped with energy immediately pp.....  in the long run I wish i had an extra placenta or two to consume.

Do you think it would've helped at all to have placenta capsules to take over time? Placenta can also be frozen. 

Meanwhile, I'd ask over in health and healing about non-placental sources of placental nutrition. Off the top of my head, placentas have a lot of iron and anemia causes fatigue, for instance.

#24 of 25 Old 06-04-2011, 05:17 PM

I don't even know if I want to click on the link, lol

#25 of 25 Old 06-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Really don't.  I'm sorry I got involved in thinking about lightinmyhands's story that I totally forgot I'd be bumping up the crazy link.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page