*UPDATE birth story* Beautiful baby girl (cross posted from DDC) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-17-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can finally say that I have had a baby at home and unassisted.

She's nursed twice already and is a champion at it.

Still have to weigh and measure her. She was born this morning at 9:16 mountain time.

She's doing wonderfully and I feel pretty decent as well for having just given birth. More details later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIRTH STORY

9lbs 3 oz  21 in long

Had prodomal labor pretty bad on Saturday the 14th. Was sure it would lead to a baby coming out at the time, but nope.  Lost a bunch of sleep and mucous plug and my contractions went away at around 6:30am.

Slept for 3 hours in the afternoon as well as walking around hoping that things would start again but they didn’t. So went to bed that night disappointed but I knew I could use more sleep so let it go.

The next day I was super disappointed because it really seemed like everything was stopped. Just sat around and relaxed with my kiddos and tried to remain patient though I did cry a bit just because I was quickly nearing 41 weeks and knew my family would be on my case and it was the longest pregnancy I ever had, so I was sort of concerned about it.

Went to bed that night after having a few weak contractions at far off intervals. Nothing interesting.

I figured it would be a while still.

Woke up at 1:30am with a contraction that was a little painful but was able to go right back to sleep. Woke up at 3:30am to use the bathroom with a contraction that was a little more painful. Tried to lay down to sleep but contractions were too uncomfortable though still a bit of a space apart. I finally gave up at around 4am and got up and called my best friend who lives in a 2 hour later time zone to pass a bit of time and let her know what was going on. She talked with me for an hour and was helping me time contractions to try to guess if this could be it or another bought of prodomal labor.

Contractions were stronger and getting longer and were pretty close together so we agreed things looked promising.

I got off the phone and woke up hubby around 5:50am. I took a shower and tried to manage contractions. I was pretty certain by this point that I’d have a baby that day. Things got more intense, but not really awful. Contractions remained 3-5 mins apart and varied from 45-1+ mins in length. I didn’t go crazy timing them, but just did a little test of them toward the end. Contractions hurt and I thought maybe I’ll have baby before lunch time. But I figured I still had a ways to go. Well, I got discouraged for a little bit because it seemed like my contractions were spacing out some and didn’t seem very intense. So, I got up to go to the bathroom. I stopped in the dining room on my way and leaned against the table during a very pressury, ouchy contractions. I sat on the toilet and had 2 more very pressurized contractions that made me think, wow, this is interesting. I wonder if things will be happening even sooner than I thought. I went to the living room and had two more very pressurized contractions that made me sway off to the side and made me think ouch, this is going to suck.

I told hubby I was going into the bedroom to deal with the next contractions. I just felt like something was going to happen soon but still thought it’d be a little bit more, maybe a half hour to an hour before any pushing or anything like that.

I was wrong. I got in there and stayed on my knees on the floor while leaning over the bed. I had a really pressurized contraction start. I just knew toward the middle of it that my waters were about to break. Then they did and after that I felt baby fall down low into the pelvis.

I just knew that I was going to pushing then. I yelled out to hubby to get in there because I think I’m about to start pushing. He came in the room and was supporting me. He was very good. I got my next 2 contractions thinking I’d have the fetal ejection reflex thing like I had with my DS2. It wasn’t happening. I figured out very fast that I’d be having to push this baby out with the contractions. Every time I pushed I felt the need to scream at the top of my lungs because the pain was like nothing I ever felt in my other births.  I do feel it was productive screaming as I was still able to do all that my body needed me too. The screaming was just me attempting to cope with the intense pain. I imagine in the hospital they wouldn’t have liked it very much. I pushed hands and knees and variations of it.

My husband told me it took a half hour or so to push her out. She came out at 9:16 am Mountain Time.

Hubby caught her. And I flipped around. She wasn’t crying or breathing yet, so I rubbed her body and she started crying a little gurgly. So, hubby suctioned her out a little and she was bright pink in no time. She wouldn’t take to the breast right away. The placenta came out with a contraction about 5 minutes after she was born. After that, I tried nursing her again. I was quite dizzy, which is actually pretty typical for me after a birth. I wasn’t sure about the blood loss. I don’t think it was excessive but based on being rather dizzy, I decided to use the “wombstringe” I bought. I think it helped along with baby finally latching on and feeding. I remained a bit dizzy for a few hours after the birth but it was better by the end of the day. I was shocked that I hadn’t torn. I have an episiotomy scar and I didn’t tear with my son’s birth either. But, with how painful this birth was and I could feel how tight it was down there when her head was coming out, I thought I would have torn. I may have had a couple skid marks, but nothing noticeable.

Baby nursed like crazy for the first 48 hours. My nipples got super sore and my milk was in very fast. Her latch just wasn’t very good. I worked hard with her to relatch over and over but was not able to get her to latch on right for more than a minute. I had similar issues with my first but none of those issues with my second. I found that I had to get out my nipple shields because the pain was becoming unbearable. Since then, things are better and she is sleeping longer and asking for milk less. I’m disappointed that things didn’t go as well this time but at least I’m still able to breastfeed. That’s what matters. I plan to try to wean her off the shield once she has a bigger mouth and can latch better.

We took her to the doc after she was 2 days old and he was awesome with us. He had no issues with our decision on how we birthed and he ordered us the metabolic screening test. He also ordered a hearing test we still have to go to. I’m not sure about that test. I think it is completely unnecessary, but not sure if it is required by law as the registrar had asked about the results of that test. It’ll be a bit of a process to get the birth certificate but it seems to be going well so far. No one made a big deal about where or how baby was born.

So, there’s my update. J

IMG_5070_cr.jpg

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#2 of 14 Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM

joy.gif blowkiss.gifflowersforyou.gif

Woo hoo!!!!!!  I'm so happy it all went well and you got the UC you've been wanting!!  That is so awesome...enjoy your precious little girl! hug2.gif

#3 of 14 Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 PM

I'm so happy to hear thisbiggrinbounce.gif

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Sweet baby girl :) less than 1 day old!  Enjoy

#4 of 14 Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 PM

joy.gif

congrats mama!! Can't wait to hear more!! Welcome to the world, baby!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#5 of 14 Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 PM

Congrats!!!!

#6 of 14 Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 PM

enjoy breathing in your sweet little babe. (on the outside, now!!)

much light and speedy recovery to you.

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#7 of 14 Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 PM

That's wonderful.  I was JUST thinking about you!  Glad all is well, and I can't wait to read the deets.

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#8 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 AM

Congrats on your  baby girl 

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#9 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM

Yaaaaay! Congratulations!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#10 of 14 Old 05-18-2011, 03:51 PM

I was so excited to see this!  Such great news. You're awesome!!! Much love to you, and to your new baby. hug.gif

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#11 of 14 Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Congrats! how wonderful!

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#12 of 14 Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Congratulations & thanks for sharing the news with us. Hope you're enjoying every minute of it!!

Yolanda & Marcus{married 8 yrs}, Isaiah13, Malik12, Micah6, Anna4, Malachi3, Jacob1. We familybed2.gifuc.jpgdelayedvax.gifhomeschool.gif, and expecting #7 boc.gif August 2013. 

#13 of 14 Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 PM

congratulations! Can't wait to hear more about your wonderful birth.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#14 of 14 Old 05-20-2011, 05:18 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! joy.gif

All the love in the universe to you and your family.

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page