UC-ers, where do you stand politically? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A comment on another thread about UC being about freedom of choice and being a liberal notion got me thinking! I am really curious where other unassisted birthers stand politically.

I am libertarian.

You?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#2 of 70 Old 05-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Total bleeding heart liberal, but always willing to listen to all sides of an argument. I just tend to relate more to the far left.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#3 of 70 Old 05-23-2011, 03:02 PM

I'm fairly a-political these days.  Tend to vote for Democrats at the national level.  But I know lots of natural birth advocates that are conservative.

Maybe I'm a fence sitter . . . who tends to fall off on the left and the gets back on the fence and every once in a while falls off on the right.  Defintely a fence sitter.

Funny . . . I used to work in politics!

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#4 of 70 Old 05-23-2011, 03:31 PM

Well, since someone else opened the can I guess I can dig in...I am 100% conservative (socially, fiscally, and environmentally).  I don't know about others in that boat, but I have felt that I don't fit in on either side all the way since we are also "crunchy".  When I am with the ones who understand our birth and parenting choices, they don't get the other stuff and vice versa.  I feel the two go hand in hand.  If I believe that we are responsible for our actions on a personal level, that extends into how I believe government should be approached/run.  (Trying to keep it neutral so we can continue a dialog).

#5 of 70 Old 05-23-2011, 05:42 PM

I'm pretty liberal, but my "radical" traits usually have me testing as libertarian, so I guess that means I have a few conservative traits in there. I'm pretty much a Democrat vote, but I believe in not trying to please everybody and doing what you feel is right (please, Mr. President?). So, I'm not as passive as most Dems I suppose. I'm usually described as a feminist and hippie, and I like that.

I believe that there are a lot of disparities in society-- culturally, economically... and I feel those gaps aren't completely justified or warranted and I'd like to see everyone be truly equal and free. I think we live in a culture where people often do not understand "the other side", and are maybe too comfortable to try.

I like to see people free themselves from bondage of all kinds.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#6 of 70 Old 05-24-2011, 05:12 AM

I'm of the opinion that there isn't much of a difference between conservatives and liberals, other than the spelling.  I'd probably best be described as a libertarian, though I would most often consider myself a radical humanist.  Though because of my hair and manner of dress I am often labeled a "hippy", but I believe that word doesn't mean what it once did and I prefer not to be labeled as such.

Interesting question to pose to UCer's  I find I am often alone in a sea of extremely conservative christians when I'm discussing UC or homeschooling or such. 

ElizabethE likes this.
#7 of 70 Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 AM

I am pretty apolitical nowadays. I suppose I've just gotten really cynical about anything really changing through politics. I happen to live in a social-democratic country, and I can see both sides of it. On the one side, it sure is nice that education and healthcare are accessible to all regardless of income and that as a student and mother I actually get real financial benefits from the state. On the other side, when the government is taking care of you it also assumes more of a right to dictate your life choices, which is annoying and could potentially be a slippery slope. I guess on a practical level I am quite a bit of a "leftie" but I don't like the social control that seems to come with that kind of government. Mostly I believe that any real change for the better is going to come from a grassroots level/shift in social attitudes that may then be translated into political action.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#8 of 70 Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

I am pretty apolitical nowadays. I suppose I've just gotten really cynical about anything really changing through politics. I happen to live in a social-democratic country, and I can see both sides of it. On the one side, it sure is nice that education and healthcare are accessible to all regardless of income and that as a student and mother I actually get real financial benefits from the state. On the other side, when the government is taking care of you it also assumes more of a right to dictate your life choices, which is annoying and could potentially be a slippery slope. I guess on a practical level I am quite a bit of a "leftie" but I don't like the social control that seems to come with that kind of government. Mostly I believe that any real change for the better is going to come from a grassroots level/shift in social attitudes that may then be translated into political action.

well said.

#9 of 70 Old 05-24-2011, 03:30 PM

Libertarian. I don't trust the voting system in place in the USA at this time though. So, I don't think our votes mean much at this time. I still try to vote. 

lightinmyhands likes this.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#10 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yes! My theory was right - lots of UC-ers are libertarians. smile.gif

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#11 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 AM

These days, lots of people in general are Libertarians.  I have issues with the Libertarian party.  I think it's an incredibly selfish political stance.

I am independent, politically.  A registered Green party person. 

ElizabethE likes this.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#12 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm libertarian but I don't think I am selfish.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#13 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post

These days, lots of people in general are Libertarians.  I have issues with the Libertarian party.  I think it's an incredibly selfish political stance.

I am independent, politically.  A registered Green party person. 

Why do you think libertarians are selfish? Just curious...

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#14 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM

::hoping for a UC this time around::

Im an anarchist. I do vote though, as I feel like it is my duty to the women who fought for me to have the right to do so.
lightinmyhands and ElizabethE like this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#15 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 01:39 PM

lurk.gif

Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#16 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post

A comment on another thread about UC being about freedom of choice and being a liberal notion got me thinking!

I know you are referencing someone elses comment, but I just have to say that it makes no sense at all to me. The left is notorious for it's nanny state laws because they think we need to be protected from ourselves and they often choose to limit parental choices in favor of what they see as the greater good for society. The right has many people fighting for school vouchers, homeschooling, lay midwifery and vax freedom. 

#17 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

I know you are referencing someone elses comment, but I just have to say that it makes no sense at all to me. The left is notorious for it's nanny state laws because they think we need to be protected from ourselves and they often choose to limit parental choices in favor of what they see as the greater good for society. The right has many people fighting for school vouchers, homeschooling, lay midwifery and vax freedom. 

I disagree. I think "liberal" in general implies granting larger social freedoms to the point of permissiveness. I think that it just works out for the right, since so many of them are religious. This is a right the right-wing would definitely want to defend. UCing seems to appeal very much to devout Christians, as does homeschooling.

#18 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 PM

I'm waaaaaay left, vote Democrat. Republicans scare me.

Not all lefties are for a nanny state, but I can say that I AM for sensible, reasonable regulation. I do not trust corporations, builders, food producers, businesspeople, etc to do the right thing without laws. They have proven that they cannot act ethically even with regulation, I cannot imagine what it would look like with out any. (Though where I lived in Mexico there weren't regulations and it showed, in a negative way).

As for individuals, I am all for choice and responsibility. If I was in charge I would say do as you please, so long as it don't harm others. this goes for HS/US, HB/UC, choosing medical care, or not, using drugs, wearing helmets, etc. If libertarians weren't so hell bent on zero regulation, completely free markets, and eliminating the social safety net, I would identify with them, since I like the focus on personal responsibility and accountability.

I get why the poster above said Libertarianism is a selfish ideology- not that you as a libertarian are selfish, but the philosophy is. Its because it often devolves into "every man/woman/family for itself" ways of thinking, and promotes free market to the extreme, which can be very damaging to the community. I think people misunderstand the original concept of the free market- Adam Smith never meant for a free market separated from the community, and morality. but lots of his words are overlooked in the rush for rules free business practices. No regulations leads to sweatshops, and the perennial race to the bottom.

I think libertarianism is a utopian philosophy- if all people were very evolved, it would be great. But in the real world we have businesses that exploit others, environmental practices that rape and despoil the resources we depend on, and people/companies with so much power they cannot be reined in by individuals. Our economy is globalized, whether we like it or not, and every individual does not have equal power. There have to be protections for the weak, for our environment. I also think that society benefits when there is a social safety net, especially in a capitalist economy. (I believe in Shared Capitalism)

We are in this together, as a civilization, so it's in everyones best interest to work to fight poverty, build the economy, and create sustainable ways of doing business. Democracy allows us to create a government that is a counterweight to this power, though we are not doing a great job of it right now, it's better than every person for themselves. This is only MY OPINION! I appreciate hearing others, especially when we disagree.
#19 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 02:56 PM

I think you should check out the difference in laws between conservative states like AZ and TX compared to liberal ones like NY and Mass. Because when you compare the actual laws in place they do not support your assertion. 

#20 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I think you should check out the difference in laws between conservative states like AZ and TX compared to liberal ones like NY and Mass. Because when you compare the actual laws in place they do not support your assertion. 

Not sure who you were talking to, but sorry if it wasn't me. :) If it was--

Why? What does that matter? What is that going to prove? That UCing is a conservative value?

I have to admit that one of the pluses to living in a mostly Republican state, for me, is that they really seem to prize my rights to keep to myself in a rural home and run my own show. Things like UCing and homeschooling are far easier for me as a result. I suppose I should thank my conservative Christian friends for that one. FIREdevil.gif And no, that wasn't sarcastic. Neither was that.

#21 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 03:25 PM

I'm also A-Political (new term for me) because I vote on the issue individually.  I have many things I believe in but the one thing I value the most if FREEDOM.

I have had a UC and I support UC.

#22 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 PM

Newsolarmama, I agree with you about libertarianism. That's why I am not libertarian either. It's just too idealistic considering the world we actually live in.

I think there may be some confusion about the terms "liberal" and "libertarian" in this thread. As far as I understand, they are far from the same thing. "Liberal" tends to mean "left" with all the economic and social regulation that implies, whereas I generally understand libertarian to mean anti-regulation of all kinds - though I have also noticed that some people who call themselves "libertarian" are socially very conservative. But that's the thing, these terms are so vague and can mean so many different things to different people. So when people say they are libertarian or liberal that doesn't actually tell me much. I would be interested in hearing what people actually believe in, rather than just a label.

ElizabethE likes this.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#23 of 70 Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

Newsolarmama, I agree with you about libertarianism. That's why I am not libertarian either. It's just too idealistic considering the world we actually live in.

I think there may be some confusion about the terms "liberal" and "libertarian" in this thread. As far as I understand, they are far from the same thing. "Liberal" tends to mean "left" with all the economic and social regulation that implies, whereas I generally understand libertarian to mean anti-regulation of all kinds - though I have also noticed that some people who call themselves "libertarian" are socially very conservative. But that's the thing, these terms are so vague and can mean so many different things to different people. So when people say they are libertarian or liberal that doesn't actually tell me much. I would be interested in hearing what people actually believe in, rather than just a label.

Now this is fascinating, and I was surprised when someone mentioned in last night (but too tired to respond). Because I grew up in Europe, I probably have a different understanding of the word Liberal. Over here (countries I have lived in), it means right of center, while left, "nanny state" folks would be called socialists.

I currently live in a post-communist country that no longer offers the benefits of the "parental state" (no, not going to use the world paternal orngbiggrin.gif) but still carries the burdens of that same state, namely high levels bureaucracy, few civil liberties, and now also lots of corruption. I class myself as a libertarian in this country because the economic situation means the benefits (welfare, healthcare, etc - they are theoretically there but the bureaucracy seems to decide at will who gets them and who doesn't, and there are more token then a real benefit) are not going to come along soon, so we need the state to allow citizens to then take full responsibility for their lives.

As it stands, the things that are so dear to many on MDC are mostly illegal here - homebirth is not illegal but having one gives people a lot of administrative trouble, not vaccinating is a crime, as is homeschooling. Which, unfortunately, means we are breaking the law. Yet, unless you have gone through hundreds of hours of bureaucracy, you will have to pay for your own vaccines. Private health insurance is starting to be available, for some limited purposes.

#24 of 70 Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 AM

I'll elaborate. I believe in small government. Freedom to the people. I support the US constitution and I'm very unhappy with the way the US is being run into the ground.

Arduinna likes this.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#25 of 70 Old 05-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightinmyhands View Post

Interesting question to pose to UCer's  I find I am often alone in a sea of extremely conservative christians when I'm discussing UC or homeschooling or such. 

Well, if we lived near each other you wouldn't be alone, even though I am an extremely conservative christian.  I UC, cloth diaper, baby wear, no vax, no circ, homeschool/unschool, and am homesteading for a sustainable lifestyle.

#26 of 70 Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:

yeahthat.gif

#27 of 70 Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 PM

Olivia, here, these days, liberal seems to equate to Socialist. At least in the dialogues of most, it seems.

#28 of 70 Old 05-26-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

Olivia, here, these days, liberal seems to equate to Socialist. At least in the dialogues of most, it seems.

Yeah, sorry for the trans-Atlantic mess up. It really makes me realize how little I am truly American (I am of mixed heritage, but apparently culturally simply European! I ought to have known about this, though!)

#29 of 70 Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 AM

totally agree, Elizabeth!  I recently moved out of Missouri with much hesitancy because while there's a ton of other cooler places I'd like to live, i quite enjoyed the freedom to birth, live, and raise my children how I wanted to that is enjoyed in states that are full of conservative christians. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

Not sure who you were talking to, but sorry if it wasn't me. :) If it was--

Why? What does that matter? What is that going to prove? That UCing is a conservative value?

I have to admit that one of the pluses to living in a mostly Republican state, for me, is that they really seem to prize my rights to keep to myself in a rural home and run my own show. Things like UCing and homeschooling are far easier for me as a result. I suppose I should thank my conservative Christian friends for that one. FIREdevil.gif And no, that wasn't sarcastic. Neither was that.

Arduinna and ElizabethE like this.
#30 of 70 Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM

Just lurking here, but I must say this is so very refreshing.  The birth community I am involved in is so very liberal, and while these ladies are my dear friends, it gets very lonely over here on the right.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page