Ok i need some help with the cord ring! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Im due with my LO in about a 1wk or so and i bought a AGA cord ring to use to tie the umbillcal cord , well i was looking at my birth supplies and it  hit me i have no clue how to use it , so i went on youtube and after seeing the vid on the cord ring , im not sure ill be able to use it, in the vid it shows  two cord rings being used , i only have one and it shows the umbilical cord cut off from the placenta in order to slide the ring on , i dont have hemostat clamp or cord sissors because i forgot and had planned on using kitchen sissors to cut the cord,im kind of freaking out this is my first UC.

Is there anyone that have a used a cord ring before that can tell lme how you used it please! did you used to cord rings?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 AM

I would think you could boil up  some laces/twine/etc;  (what I did for my first birth with twins) and use that first and then use the cord ring? I've seen  that video too. I plan on using a ring too (but having a MW) but she says she has some device she uses with the ring to get it on- or maybe she has a bander- I think maybe it's not a ring but cord bander. I just watched an old documentary from 1950's on a homebirth midwife and she used 2 laces for cord- no hemostat was ever used and she just cut cord with scissors after tying it. At some of my homebirths the midwives used hemostats and I was always creeped out by it (like the weight of it was hurting the baby).

Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

yes idk why i wasent thinking , just kind of panic , but i guess i will boil some twine or lace and once its cut i can slide the cord ring right?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

that sounds right... those cord rings look neat, I haven't seen them before.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

User Tag List