A few placenta questions (might be TMI) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I should know this after 5 babies (3 UC), but am looking for a bit more info.... The placenta was intact (nothing retained) as far as I could tell, but it seemed like clots were easily falling off the maternal side and when I picked it up was hard to keep together (i.e. my fingers could just about pull it apart).  I think there was calcification to some degree as I noticed grey areas, not a uniform burgundy/red.  Would calcification cause it to "disintegrate"?  It also did not separate from the uterus right away and took a little over 2 hrs to be birthed (normal for me and no cause to be worried).

What (if any) is the average size of the placenta?  Does it depend on the size of the baby? (Sorry for the simplistic ?'s--let's just sum it up to post partum brain)

My other questions are in regards to consuming the placenta.  How long will a placenta last in the fridge before it needs to be frozen or dehydrated? I was thinking 2-3 days...If I was to only have a few fresh smoothies in the first few days will it still be beneficial for post partum depression or just for initial energy/nutrients? 

Thoughts, links, and such greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 02:40 PM

I've heard it is typically 8-10 inches across and about an inch thick. That is what I remember from looking at mine too.

The disintegration thing- that happened with my 3rd baby!  Part of it came out first in a chunk, with some blood clots attached.  Then the rest came out a few minutes later (it was all out within 20 minutes I'd say, though).  It did not feel as firm as previous ones did, more mushy.  It kind of broke apart in my hands.  I can't really remember what the coloring was like. 

I wish I knew what happened and why it was like that.  I googled plenty and didn't find too much.  How many weeks were you when you delivered?  My baby wasn't overdue; in fact he came at 39 weeks, a week before my other two.  I wondered if he came earlier than I expected because the placenta suddenly started to not do its job as well, so he had to.  He was 8 lbs 11 oz, so he was clearly being well served by it until the end. 

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Old 06-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Don't know about your other questions, but for eating the placenta: you could always make a big batch of smoothies and freeze them for later consumption. As for how long it lasts, I would think like other organ meat... so less than a week I would think.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:18 AM

Your placenta will last in the fridge for as long as any other piece of meat so yes, two or three days is fine. Mine sat in the fridge for two days before I consumed it. It helps to clean it before you put it in the refrigerator.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

User Tag List