What is everybody's problem!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quite frankly I find myself irritated by all of this now.  I had posted a question on another forum and within it I had mentioned no prenatal care/self prenatal care and the intention of a UC.  Due to this post everyone is flaming my thread, saying that I am neglectful, ignorant, uneducated; there are even posts saying "screw you".  I haven't told certain people my intentions due to this and I sort of expected some harsh responses but I am floored by what drive people to be so callous, rude and judgmental. It is my own, well researched and thought out decision; my child and I are healthy.  Why should I be bound to diabetes testing, blood testing, urine testing, pressuring, poking and prodding if I do not want to be? Better yet why is society so reliant on medical professionals and to the extent that it is viewed as required? I feel like I am missing what the big deal is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM

It's a big deal to some people.  I just accept that they think completely differently and believe completely differently from me.  I don't care why people disagree with me when I am clear with myself and my decisions.  If I were having a UC I wouldn't tell people.  It's just an invitation to judge and I am not interested in hearing what they think.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#3 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Banned

anonymity tends to create situations where people behave more extremely than they would face to face, or even behind someone's back to another person. it's truly amazing. 

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#4 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlest birds View Post

It's a big deal to some people.  I just accept that they think completely differently and believe completely differently from me.  I don't care why people disagree with me when I am clear with myself and my decisions.  If I were having a UC I wouldn't tell people.  It's just an invitation to judge and I am not interested in hearing what they think.

yeahthat.gif

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#5 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamp View Post

Better yet why is society so reliant on medical professionals and to the extent that it is viewed as required? I feel like I am missing what the big deal is.

I hear you. I just parted ways from my MD (I'm 37 weeks) and intend to continue my own blood pressure checks, weight checks, etc. I don't feel the need to pay $45/visit for the next few weeks to do something I am completely able to do on my own. But I have already heard from one person who is greviously "worried" about me. It doesn't make logical sense, but I do think zoebird is correct to say that part of the sitch on the internet is the facelessness. We can all say whatever we want and never have to look each other in the eyes---it's a kind of freedom that allows some people to bathe in rudeness.  

#6 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyLu View Post

I hear you. I just parted ways from my MD (I'm 37 weeks) and intend to continue my own blood pressure checks, weight checks, etc. I don't feel the need to pay $45/visit for the next few weeks to do something I am completely able to do on my own. But I have already heard from one person who is greviously "worried" about me.

I was just thinking about this today. I just had my weekly prenatal appt and every time I think the same thing: the measurements are for them, not me. We take our own blood pressure, weigh ourselves, and dip our own urine here anyway. The only thing the midwife does is measure my fundus (which I increasingly find to be incredibly irrelevant for a number of reasons), palpate to see which position the baby is in (I could tell her that myself - it's not hard for me to tell even with an anterior placenta) and listen to the heartbeat (unnecessary - I can feel the baby moving normally all the time). Thank goodness prenatal care is free here or I would be getting pretty resentful. Yet yes, if I decided not to get prenatal care, everyone would be so worried and consider me foolish.

I wish it were possible to have a sort of "pick and choose" care. I could totally go for an appt every 4 weeks or so, and I like getting one ultrasound and hemoglobin checks. But everything else I can monitor myself - there's really nothing special or magical about what my care providers have done for me this pregnancy (they don't even do the GTT without risk factors or GBS test at all here). Half the time I feel like I'm going in to reassure *them*, though I get that with most of their patients it is usually the other way around. It's important to have *access* to care providers in the event of a problem, but when did that need translate to second parties having to chart every little detail for themselves? I can understand it if the woman doesn't want to keep track of it herself, but if she does, why should the medical professional be trusted over her? I am talking basic things here, nothing complicated or requiring much medical knowledge.

Whew, that was longer than I thought it would be.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page