Would this be recommended? - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 4 Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
mrskfs87's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are expecting baby #3 in March, I want to avoid a third c-section, but would it be a wise idea for a UBAC if i'm only 4 months post partum from my second child?

mrskfs87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 4 Old 07-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Devaskyla's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: in my great new home
Posts: 4,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would seriously consider trying to find a midwife in that situation, but you have to decide what you are ok with in regard to risks

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Devaskyla is offline  
#3 of 4 Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 PM
junebugmidwife's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: A cold, cold land
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

I would seriously consider trying to find a midwife in that situation, but you have to decide what you are ok with in regard to risks



There is a higher risk of uterine rupture in the case of a relatively "fresh" scar.  Still not super high, but do your homework and decide.  If you can get the operative report from your second C/section, that would probably illuminate if the OB found anything strange with your scar after baby #1.  Of course, that doesn't tell you everything  (like what it looks like now), but it could be useful.  Some people are doing US to check the thickness of the uterine scar during pregnancy when preparing for VBAC--don't know too much about it, but you might want to consider it, I believe the theory is a thicker scar may be better, but again, do some research.

junebugmidwife is offline  
#4 of 4 Old 07-18-2011, 05:00 PM
JamieCatheryn's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SW Pa
Posts: 5,288
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I'd definitely want to do at least frequent doppler self checks in labor, and watch out for strange pain that might suggest rupture (what's it about a 1% chance?), and have a plan for quick transfer if anything happened. With 2 c/s and no vaginal births, your chance of finding a hospital care provider to allow a "trial of labor" is low so it's good to explore all your options, including UC and homebirth with midwives. Shadow care with an OB might be good just in case. I will say I wouldn't bother with laboring at home til last minute then birthing in hospital because your added risks are really just during labor anyway.

JamieCatheryn is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 19,550

37 members and 19,513 guests
Alexis17 , Arduinna , Deborah , easydoesit , emmy526 , girlspn , graek430 , greenemami , hillymum , Iron Princess , Janeen0225 , japonica , JoyfamMama , KangaRu , katelove , Katherine73 , kathymuggle , lhargrave89 , marcw , mckittre , Michele123 , mkmb129 , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , NaturallyKait , NCIS4Ever2001 , raven.marcoe , RollerCoasterMama , Shmootzi , Skippy918 , Springshowers , sren , TheChainedAngel , trupti0126 , verticalscope , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.