Advice on Autonomous Birthing - 1st child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-17-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a couple concerns about birthing on my own without a midwife & would like suggestions from women who have experienced this themselves.

A little information on my pregnancy:

I saw an OBGYN for the first 32 weeks of my pregnancy, because my insurance paid for it, with the intention of seeing a midwife for the last 8 weeks prenatal, the birth, & the postnatal care. I have talked with the midwife from the beginning. At 32 weeks, I was informed by the midwife that she didnt feel comfortable taking over my care because the doctors office would not fax over my medical records, & this being a small town, she didnt want a bad name for "stealing patients". This just showed me a little more in depth on her personality. There are no other midwives in the area.

I immediatly began searching for other options. If there was ONE thing for sure, it was that my child is not going to be born in a hospital, unless there is an emergency. I began browsing the web, that being the largest source for imformation, & I came across Laura Shanleys sight "Bornfree", and another websight Unhindered Living. I knew that this is what I wanted to do. It was as if everything My heart felt, and everything my soul wanted, was being written out by another women. Since then, I have spent 20 + hours on the web gathering information on birth.

So here we are. I am planning an Autonumous Childbirth for the birth of my first child with the support from my husband, & critisism and discouragment from everybody else. I am 38 weeks pregnant today, so the date is nearing. I would love to talk to other women have birthed this way. and their suggestions and gentle advice.

My two main concerns are these:

One; Are you an experienced meditator? How intune with yourself were you when you had your birth?

Two; What did your emergency kit consist of?

#2 of 7 Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 PM

I too am planning a UC for my first birth :-)  I am due in mid September.

I am not an experienced meditator.  I do meditate sometimes but it is very difficult for me.  What works best for me is to say positive affirmations and I plan on doing this during my labor and delivery.

My emergency kit is a printed copy of emergency childbirth and going to the hospital.  Not much lol.  I also have some shephards purse for after the placenta comes out.  

#3 of 7 Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Oh and I feel like I am pretty in tune with myself and my body.  But sometimes I totally miss things, that's when my husband steps in and supports me :-)

#4 of 7 Old 07-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Banned

Hiya!

I birthed my first UC, but my situation was different. I "discovered" UC 5 years before getting pregnant, knowing it was the way I wanted to go. During that time, I got to learn and work through a lot of stuff, and really feel comfortable and confident with the information that I needed to go forward. 

I don't know what information you need, and you may already have it, so it shouldn't deter you per se. I just find that some people go in "less prepared" and end up transferring needlessly. But, that's ok too, everyone has their journey.

Insofar as your questions go, I am an experienced meditator, though I dn't think that's necessary to be in tune with your body. I do think it can help on any number of levels, though, too. I think the real question is whether or not you trust yourself and feel confident in your ability to UC.

I also didn't have an emergency kit. I'm not sure what you think it should consist of, but I know a lot of people have things set aside like an oxygen tank or herbs to help with PPH. I didn't have either of these, and everything went fine. I trusted my intuition to tell me what I needed to collect ahead of time, and it was surprisingly little. 

End of the day, my "birth kit" were things I had around -- clean bath mats, clean towels, clean kitchen scissors, clean large mixing bowl for the placenta. Yeah, that was it as far as I know. I don't know why people need so much other stuff, but that's cool. Whatever floats the boat as they say. :)

Read Emergency Childbirth, too. It's a helpful text.

#5 of 7 Old 07-22-2011, 06:58 PM

I UC'd my 3rd baby.  I also came to this through another avenue. My second was born at home with a midwife.  When we moved to AZ I could not find a midwife that would work with me financially.  I was about 20 or so weeks along with only 1 midwifery center in town.  Like you, I was NOT bearing my baby in a hospital.  I remembered someone that shared her UC story in another group and I started researching. I felt that UC fit what I wanted and that I was capable of doing.  My first was born in the hospital and despite a few things I would change, all of my pregnancies and deliveries have been "uneventful."

I had a birth kit: Chux, scissors, towels, measuring tape, simple scale (for weighing baby), iodine (to clean my bath tub), large but light weight blankets (Thrown in the dryer to take the chill off), and my partner!

I purchased my birth kit on-line from a medical supply company.  There are a few out there, a simple internet search should come up with some good ones for you.

All the best,

~K

#6 of 7 Old 07-22-2011, 07:04 PM

1cascade.com is where i bought my kit. thumb.gif

#7 of 7 Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank You all for your information and suggestions. I would have loved to discover that UC was a safe option long before I did, as I am the planner type, but have the utmost confidence in myself to be able to naturally birth a child. I can not "meditate" persay, but I definatly feel in tune with my higher being. Until my little one arrives, I will continue to gather knowlegde and information from as many sources as I can! Thanks again! Happy parenting all!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page