how to stop braxton hicks/irritable uterus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 07-19-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and at least 10 times every day I get awful pains in my uterus, mostly the lower half. It hurts bad enough that I can barely walk. The worst of it lasts for 30 seconds and then starts to un-clench. It started around 20 weeks but went away after a month and started again around 30 weeks. I am not dilated any. This is my third child, 5th pregnancy (2 miscarriages at 10 weeks).

I asked my OB about it and she laughed and told me to "suck it up and deal with it" (I'm not going back there). I tried to get a midwife  to use as a back-up for UC and to help answer question about these pains but no luck

If I knew this was completely normal I could relax, it just doesn't feel right. I drink tons of water and try to take it easy but is there anything else I can do? Will this lead to pre-term labor?

#2 of 36 Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 PM

It COULD lead to pre-term labor, and my last full term pregnancy was full of BH from 34 weeks on, which I had mistaken for pre-term labor, just because of the intensity of them. It's too bad that you aren't getting any good help from people that are supposed to be professionals. Maybe drink some tea, take warm baths (I know that's hard to do, because of the heat, believe me). Since you're staying hydrated and trying to take it easy, I can't give you any other advice. Have you tried a belly support? Maybe the BH are triggered by round ligament stretching and a belly band would help.

#3 of 36 Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 PM

I am on my third pregnancy (one was an early miscarriage).  I had a ton of BH with my first, but this pregnancy they started earlier and they hurt more.  Not alarmingly painful, and not as bad as yours, but definitely more painful than the first.  I am also only 23 weeks, so who knows what they'll feel like in a couple of months. It seems like everything has started sooner and is more extreme this time - round ligament pains, pubic bone pain, etc.  My midwives seem to think that's par for the course for subsequent babies. The only time I've felt at all concerned this pregnancy was a time when I had clearly overdone it and felt crampy, not like BH but more like very early labor. 

I have no idea about BH like yours leading to pre-term labor. With my first I was always told that 6 per hour is when you start to worry.  And of course things like regular spacing and increasing intensity.  One time last pregnancy I had 6 per hour, the phone nurse freaked and had me come right in.  (I wouldn't even have called except I was hoping they'd tell me not to travel to my ILs that weekend ;) They put me on the monitor thingy and I didn't have another one the whole time I was there.  Duh, I could have told you that without the stupid machine. 

How often do yours come? I would pay attention to that as much, if not more than, the intensity.

#4 of 36 Old 07-20-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

I'm staying away from the hospital until they become regular and 6 in an hour. I'm going to pay more attention to frequency and hope to chart when they happen. Maybe I can find something triggering them. 

#5 of 36 Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 AM

Do you have a full bladder when you have them? I know that the constant hydration will make your bladder full. lol And the full bladder will make your uterus contract with braxton hicks. Could it be shoes you wear? Are they wedged? Are they flatsoled? It could be that you need steady support for your feet and it's hurting your back, thus causing BH.

#6 of 36 Old 07-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Have you tried a good cal/mag/zinc supplement? It's suppose to stop early contractions and muscle cramping that are caused from a variety of issues. It may be just what you need IF IT'S NOT PRETERM LABOR! Because lots of women have preterm labor about this time and can be easily stopped with magnesium in the hospital. If you have no luck with the supplement (at least 3 per day) then go into the ER and have them do a fetal monitor to check contractions. It's better to be safe rather than sorry, especially at this point in time! That being said, I have always had luck with the supplement! I start taking them about 22 weeks on for leg cramps and more when I have hard contractions that I call irritable uterus! Hope this helps some!

#7 of 36 Old 07-20-2011, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wouldn't be concerned about preterm labor if you're not having several an hour.  When I ended up in PTL, I was having around 8 contractions in an hour that wouldn't slow down despite majorly hydrating and laying on my left side.  Have you tried seriously hydrating and laying on your left side for an hour?  This typically stopped or slowed mine. 

#8 of 36 Old 07-20-2011, 06:13 PM

You could also try a half glass of wine to stop them. And/or a relaxing bath. Both of them seem to help a lot of women.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#9 of 36 Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 PM

3rd preg.  Having same issues.  BH super strong started months ago.  Had to bend over the cart in the grocery store parking lot and breathe w/ contraction.  They get better when I remember to drink red raspberry leaf tea.  I haven't had any tea for a few days and last night couldn't sleep because of the intensity low down.  Tonight (36 weeks) I nearly burst into tears in the yard from the pain of a BH super low down. 

Red rasp. leaf organizes the contractions and then they are less painful. 

#10 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't noticed a full bladder triggering it. I wear flat shoes

thanks for the supplement advice. I'll get some today. I have been having charlie horses in my calf in the morning so many its related

I like the wine and bath idea, even if it doesn't stop my problem. haha

I planned to get red raspberry leaf tea this weeke3nd. I wasnt going to start drinking it until 36 weeks but can't hurt to start a little early

thank you all so much. I have a lot more ideas to try now. Yesterday I only had 5 (I've started counting) so I"m hopeful

#11 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 AM

DDCC.  I had 30-50 a day from the late 5th month on and they drove me 100% crazy.  I was teaching middle school and the time and kept having to grab desks so I wouldn't fall over.  My doctors did tell me to sit as much as possible, which isn't very possible when teaching the way I teach.  Some aspects of pregnancy are just kind of ridiculous.  My OB was very supportive and kind about it (nuts to your dr. who told you to suck it up...if there are no solutions, kindness and compassion are pretty helpful!).  In the end, I had a lovely, healthy baby.  Hang in there and much luck you you!  We joked that we should name our son Braxton.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#12 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 AM

I'm 32 weeks and had the same problem recently.  I have found a few things to help.  My midwife suggested a magnesium supplement called "Natural Calm."  That has worked wonders for me.  I take it daily, and if I forget, I'll have more cramps.  I also started drinking a ridiculous amount of water.  I thought I was drinking tons already, but my midwife pushed me to drink more, and that has also helped.  She also told me to cut extra sugar and salt from my diet which may have been counteracting my water intake (I admit, I had let myself get a little snack-happy).  Last, I'm trying to take it easy and stay out of the heat!  I told my husband I can't take my dogs for walks in 90 degree+ weather anymore, and that helped, too.  The strain seemed to bring on lots more contractions.

One warning on RRL tea which has been mentioned in the forums before - apparently, because this tea causes uterine "toning," it can make BH worse for some women.  I tried taking that first and found that I had a bit more cramping, not less.

I hope you feel better soon!

#13 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubymoon81 View Post

I'm 32 weeks and had the same problem recently.  I have found a few things to help.  My midwife suggested a magnesium supplement called "Natural Calm."  That has worked wonders for me. 

One warning on RRL tea which has been mentioned in the forums before - apparently, because this tea causes uterine "toning," it can make BH worse for some women.  I tried taking that first and found that I had a bit more cramping, not less.

I hope you feel better soon!

Not to thread-jack, but Rubymoon--how much Natural Calm do you take?  I have this for DS and was thinking of taking it to ease my BH.

Also, OP--Please note the bolded on RRL tea!  There is mixed info on this but RRL can cause a lot more contractions which can possibly push you into preterm labor.  If you are already having issues, I would NOT take it. 

#14 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 02:49 PM

There is exactly one resource out there to my knowledge which associates Red Raspeberry Leaf tea w/ preterm labor.  What To Expect When You Want To Be A Neurotic Wreck.  That piece of drek offers no references for that. 

Please provide a reference for any studies that show red rasp. leaf to increase preterm labor.

#15 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM

Don't forget to stretch your calves multiple times a day.  (Say any time you are near stairs or a curb.)  You may want to look at the Blog Katy Says by Katy Bowman and read up on the relationship between alignment, strong gluts and pelvic floor issues.  Are you also having urinary incontinence?

#16 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdoc View Post

There is exactly one resource out there to my knowledge which associates Red Raspeberry Leaf tea w/ preterm labor.  What To Expect When You Want To Be A Neurotic Wreck.  That piece of drek offers no references for that. 

Please provide a reference for any studies that show red rasp. leaf to increase preterm labor.

Alternatively, please provide a reference for any study that shows that red raspberry leaf tea is SAFE for those who may be experiencing signs of preterm labor.

Because that is the true issue.  As I stated originally, the use of RRL tea is controversial at best.  I don't know if it is bad or good for those of us who have had PTL or signs of it.  I'd rather err on the side of caution with something rumored to increase contractions and put women into full blown labor who are at risk of PTL.  Most pregnant women choose to first do no harm, so if there isn't clear evidence that RRL is *safe* for those experiencing PTL symptoms, and there is evidence (or even rumors) that it is unsafe, I don't know why any person ewould be pushing it on anyone else. 

#17 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 05:34 PM

My midwife had me taking some herbal something when I was at work and having too many BH, but I don't recall what it was. When not at work she told me a dark beer or a shot of vodka. Oh and benadryl (not with the booze, as a separate possibility)

#18 of 36 Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 PM

One other thing... Keep an eye out for symptoms of a UTI.  I've heard they are a common cause of pre-term labor, and that during pregnancy they don't always present in the usual way. 

#19 of 36 Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thencamehenry View Post

One other thing... Keep an eye out for symptoms of a UTI.  I've heard they are a common cause of pre-term labor, and that during pregnancy they don't always present in the usual way. 

THIS! I was going to mention something along these lines before, but had forgotten. A UTI (doesn't even have to show symptoms) can cause tons of BH and even pre-term labor. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had TONS of UTI's, but I never had presenting symptoms. Just back pain, which I attributed to being pregnant.

#20 of 36 Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

Not to thread-jack, but Rubymoon--how much Natural Calm do you take?  I have this for DS and was thinking of taking it to ease my BH.

Also, OP--Please note the bolded on RRL tea!  There is mixed info on this but RRL can cause a lot more contractions which can possibly push you into preterm labor.  If you are already having issues, I would NOT take it. 

For the Natural Calm, I worked up from 1/2 teaspoon a day, to 1 tsp, to 1.5 tsp. over the first 3 weeks.  1.5 tsp. seems to be enough.  They say to work up to 2 tsp., but I think the appropriate amount varies from person to person.  Too much will give a laxative effect. 

Sorry to inflame the RRL debate, but I just wanted to share my experience.  It gave me more BH.  It seems like if your uterus is not tight & crampy, it would be good for those who want toning.  But if your uterus is "toning" itself like an overachiever, I wouldn't give it any more encouragement! 

#21 of 36 Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubymoon81View Post

For the Natural Calm, I worked up from 1/2 teaspoon a day, to 1 tsp, to 1.5 tsp. over the first 3 weeks.  1.5 tsp. seems to be enough.  They say to work up to 2 tsp., but I think the appropriate amount varies from person to person.  Too much will give a laxative effect. 

Thank you!  I am going to start on that too. 

#22 of 36 Old 07-25-2011, 12:41 PM

I have an irritable uterus and for all my pregnancies I've used Wild Yam and Black Haw (or Cramp Bark) tinctures together.  It works like MAGIC.  I would not be pregnant without them in my possession.  The Natural Calm was pretty good too but not like MAGIC for me.

Avoid RRL.  Seriously, it triggers braxton hicks for me something awful.  I love the taste but have to completely avoid it my entire pregnancy, every time.

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

#23 of 36 Old 07-26-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubymoon81 View Post

I also started drinking a ridiculous amount of water.  I thought I was drinking tons already, but my midwife pushed me to drink more, and that has also helped.  She also told me to cut extra sugar and salt from my diet which may have been counteracting my water intake (I admit, I had let myself get a little snack-happy). 

You should always salt to taste. Restricting salt leads to swelling, retaining fluids & sometimes to hypertension/pre-eclampsia. Seriously, restricting salt is a bad idea, in pregnancy especially. I'm really surprised, I thought that advice had gone out many years ago.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#24 of 36 Old 08-09-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

deleted

#25 of 36 Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 PM

Sept 1999 Australian Journal of Midwifery Incorporated. A study of RRL in pregnancy. Reduced c/s and forcep deliveries.
#26 of 36 Old 05-03-2013, 05:29 PM

Midwife put me on a Calcium/Magnesium supplement.  If I started getting painful contractions that wouldn't go away, I was to take 1000mg worth of magnesium.  You do not want Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc.  The Zinc interferes with the uptake of either calcium or magnesium (cant remember which) as the receptors are the same "shape."  See if you can find just Calcium/Magnesium in a 1:1 ratio or one with potassium is ok...  just no zinc....

Good luck!

ETA:  She also recommended I only drink one cup of weak RRL tea per day until 36 weeks... after that, as much as I wanted.

selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
#27 of 36 Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 AM

I know this thread is really old but I am a bit horrified at those suggesting women drink alcohol (especially hard liquor!!!) to stop contractions!!! yikes.gif No amount of alcohol has been shown to be safe at ALL in pregnancy. The effects of alcohol can be absolutely devastating on a baby during pregnancy, usually much more so than heavy drugs and narcotics. The effects of which are not only mental development, but also physical development. Although most babies with FAS had mothers who were heavier drinkers, it also occurs in light drinkers as well who are not addicts and children can shows signs of being affected by alcohol during pregnancy on all different levels without actually having full-blown FAS. And since the woman in this thread was having daily (hourly?) contractions, just how often would she need to drink to keep them at bay? Sorry, just really shocked that people would actually suggest this to a pregnant woman... nono02.gif 

For what it is worth, doctors usually recommend drinking a litre of water and lying down for an hour if they are frequent. If this doesn't stop them they usually tell you to come in.   

#28 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 PM

Logan--a midwife suggested a shot of vodka!! Wow, i wonder where she got her license. That is really horrifying. I'm reminded of a due date club i tried to be apart of when i was pregnant with my daughter (it was on this website). During the first trimester, women were practically bragging about how much alcohol they've had since learning they've been pregnant. They thought it was cool and rebellious. I couldnt believe what i was reading. I mean, it wasnt a ton of alcohol but, like you said, there is no safe amount during pregnancy. Even the smallest amount can cause problems for the baby. When i spoke up about it they acted like i was being mean and defended their choices because "European women drink wine when they're pregnant and their babies turn out just fine". Whatever, its still not something to promote nor brag about. Needless to say i didnt stick around in that DDC.
#29 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Actually I've heard recently of a study showing a low amount of alcohol is safe in pregnancy. Everywhere besides America and UK I've heard they feel the same. 1 serving just the once in a while for medical reasons doesn't sound so horrid to me. Have a full serving or several, often, recreationally is asking for trouble though.

edit spelling sorry was nak

#30 of 36 Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM

You're kidding right? If you honestly think a lot of alcohol is safe in pregnancy then I strongly suggest you do some research on the devastating effect alcohol can have on a child for the rest of their life. I would choose the effects of cocaine addiction over alcohol any day! I would seriously like to see this study, and know who funded it. Especially since alcohol is a known carcinogen and even one drink a day can significantly increase the risk of cancer. That alone should be enough to make it unsafe- even if it wasn't known to cause severe birth defects. I would love to know how they came to the conclusion it was completely safe when all other evidence supports it being extremely unsafe. And I am not in America or the UK and our government recommends that NO amount of alcohol is safe in pregnancy. Rightly so. May feel cool or trendy to boycott the recommendation, but it is not worth your babies future. Sure if you have one drink, they will probably turn out fine. Just like if you take one shot of heroin. Or a medicine known to cause birth defects. Or have one xray. But why risk it just so you can keep drinking alcohol? Not worth it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page