Applying for Unassisted Birth Certificate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-23-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone have some tips on how to go about apply for a birth certificate? 

I have most of the necessary items needed-

I have the "affidavit of home birth" form for unassisted births.  I'm assuming ANYONE can sign that- including my mother?  She'll be here for the birth caring for my other kids.

I need to get a Form Certificate of Live Birth.  Any idea on how to go about getting that?

The rest is pretty easy I think (maybe I'm over simplifying, but it seems simple enough)-

• Evidence of pregnancy- Have a "proof of pregnancy" sheet from local health clinic.
  • Evidence of mother's presence in state before and after birth- Can give a copy of my electric bill since it's in my name.
  • Camera dated photos immediately before or after birth- No problem
  • Credit or check purchases signed by mother from businesses in the state both before and after birth- Okay, I go to Wal-Mart all the time so I can just get bank statements for that.
  • State ID for me. 

Now what about the PROCESS?  I just gather these items and mail them in?  Do I attach it to the birth certificate application (like the form I would use to request a copy of my birth certificate) or would I need to actually go down to the Vital Statistics office in person? 

Anyone willing to give me some insight or a step-by-step of what all I need to do?

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#2 of 7 Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 PM

I'm in Oklahoma and only had to have the first, second, and last items on your list, plus I had to have a doctor or midwife sign a paper saying I have an actual live infant in my possession.  We only needed affidavits from friends/neighbors who saw me pregnant if we couldn't provide other proof of pregnancy.

The procedure:  I called Vital Statistics and they sent a "home birth packet" which was basically just a paper that told me to send the items above to a certain person (they sent a self-addressed envelope).  After I sent those in, the lady sent me a "home birth worksheet" that I filled out (DH signed as attendant and certifier) and another paper that asked a bunch of questions I kind of thought were not relevant to getting a birth certificate.  It also asked for results of the newborn hearing screening but said I could enter "N/A" if it's not applicable.  I wasn't told specifically to get one so I did just put N/A.

I'm still waiting to receive the ACTUAL birth certificate, but the Vital Statistics home birth lady hasn't called so I assume there are no issues.

Not sure how your state handles it, but I would call V.S. and ask specifically about getting a home birth certificate so you can be sure you are sending your things to the right person. 

And make a copy of everything before you send it in in case they mislay anything, that way you won't have to gather everything again.

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

#3 of 7 Old 07-25-2011, 12:36 PM

Also, the home birth certificate lady in our Vital Statistics office was REALLY nice and helpful, and gave me her direct line number so I could call her anytime with questions about the paperwork/forms I was getting together.  So definitely try to get in touch with your person.

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

#4 of 7 Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 PM

I see you are in Arkansas as well.  I had a midwife at my birth, but I was a VBAC so she had to do my birth "under the radar," meaning that we filed like it was an unassisted birth.

Call Myra at the Dept of Health in Little Rock and she'll mail you all the paper work you need.  When you get it all filled out, just mail it in with a $12 check for the birth certificate (she should also send you an application for the BC with the homebirth paper work, but she may not.  She forgot to include it with my ds2.).

Be sure you follow up with them after you get the BC to see if they filed for your dc a SS card, if you'll be getting one for him/her.  There is a box to check saying that you want them to file it for you, but they didn't do it with my ds3 and we were waiting and waiting and his card never came.  I eventually called the SS office and it turns out they never filed it and I had to make an in person trip to my local SS office.

Best of luck!

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#5 of 7 Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post

I see you are in Arkansas as well.  I had a midwife at my birth, but I was a VBAC so she had to do my birth "under the radar," meaning that we filed like it was an unassisted birth.

I'm a VBAC mom too and that's what we're doing as well thumb.gif

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#6 of 7 Old 07-28-2011, 01:35 PM

We just went to the court house with our IDs, two signed and notarized affidavits from witnesses at the birth, my lease agreement, a copy of some ultrasound results, and the baby smile.gif

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#7 of 7 Old 07-29-2011, 03:00 PM

This is my only fear about UCing.  I don't want any hassle in registering my child.  Has anyone else UC'd in TN or dealt with their laws?  I have been researching, but can't find anything for my state.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page