Oscar Lucius has arrived! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oscar Lucius arrived yesterday morning at 1:05, after a difficult 27 hours of labor.  He was left occiput posterior which made for a long labor, a 2 hour transition and 30 minutes of pushing that I couldn't have done without his daddy's assistance.   Towards the end we wound up really worried as my water had been leaking for nearly 24 hours and labor seemed to have not been progressing for a handful of those so we went to the hospital to get an ultrasound.  After arrival they first checked baby's heartbeat and then my cervix and upon discovering i was dilated to 8 or 9 they said if I wanted to have this baby at home I needed to skip the ultrasound and get moving, so that we did.  I include this part of the story as word of warning, do not get me wrong, I am still glad that I went to the hospital, it allowed me to labor without fear and there was enough pain i did not need fear included as well...however, late yesterday afternoon we got a visit from CPS as someone at the hospital was kind enough to call them since I have tattoos, refused a urine test that they said was to check to see if my water had broken which I deemed unnecessary and didn't want to pay for out of pocket as I am not insured (later to find that is not how they check for that and they were wanting to drug test me), and was going home to deliver without a midwife.  The CPS worker seemed very understanding and was irritated that he had to make this call since he had babies with fractured skulls to deal with......  all went well, he's closing the case and was very sorry a busy body at the hospital wasted both his time and ours.  We are lucky, not all CPS workers are so friendly or so willing to think a bit outside of the box.  It was obvious that he was interested in learning a bit more about something he was unfamiliar with.  He also asked us to sign a paper stating we know cosleeping to be dangerous, we are apparently the first family here to refuse to sign.  He said his boss may call with questions if that would be ok and we welcomed the call as an opportunity to provide her with new information that may possibly change her mind.  He seemed very receptive to this concept and thinks that she's a bright lady who only gets one sided info and that we may actually be able to help her see differently on this issue.  So maybe this is just the universe's way of providing us withe the opportunity to help a few cps workers see things from a bit of a broader perspective--- I'm trying to be positive instead of irritated at whatever do gooder thought they needed to to intrude upon my baby moon like this.   But alas, in the end.... we've got a beautiful baby boy weighing 6lbs. 6oz. and 20.5 inches long.  Labor was long and exhausting and painful, but we did it! :)

#2 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 AM

Congratulations!!! And it's so great to hear that there are such sensible CPS people out there!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#3 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 AM

Such strength mama, good for you! CONGRATS, you rocked it!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#4 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 PM

YOU ARE A BADASS!! Sounds like you did an amazing job dealing with everything that was thrown your way. I'm sorry that some jerk at the hospital brought unwanted visitors into your home during such a private family time, but I am very glad that no real trouble came from it. Good for you refusing to sign that ignorant statement about co-sleeping AND good for you refusing a urinalysis. It was crazy sneaky how they tried to trick you into thinking it had some sort of medical reason when it was really just them being nosy liars.

BTW love the name you chose. I am sure you will be asked this a lot, but is the middle name a Lucius Malfoy reference? I am pregnant with a boy named Wolfgang but if it was a girl we were going to name her Bellatrix. My DH and I are just a little nerdy... thought about giving our son the middle name Gandalf but decided that would be taking it a bit too far, LOL!

FIREdevil.gifJessima, devilish wife to tiphat.gifKelleypa and bellycast.gif mama to 3rdtri.gif Wolf EDD 10/04/11.

Looking forward to a wonderful  waterbirth.jpg followed by some tasty placenta.gif and thencd.gif  intactlact.gif familybed1.gif homeschool.gif

#5 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Congrats!

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#6 of 11 Old 07-26-2011, 09:00 PM

congratulations!!!  I don't know if you plan on posting your birth story eventually but- I would be so interested in knowing how your husband assisted...

And you are AWESOME.  So nice to hear you took that opportunity to enlighten some cps workers :)

#7 of 11 Old 07-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Banned

sounds awesome! glad it went so well! :D

#8 of 11 Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone! Lucius actually came about because daddy really wanted a Roman name somewhere in there as he is fascinated by Roman history, and we both really like Lucius.  As far as DH assisting goes, it was pretty cool, he noticed during Transition that Oscar was posterior and was trying to tell me this for about an hour and I was just in so much pain I couldn't really understand what he was telling me so when it came time to push and I was on my hands and knees he grabbed a hold of my body and lifted me upright and then reached under me and pulled me open with one hand and reached in with the other and moved Oscars head into a better position as it felt and according to DH looked as though he was trying to come out of my butt. (DH swears my butt bubbled out 2-3 inches with that first attempt at pushing).

#9 of 11 Old 07-27-2011, 10:59 AM

WOW!  I'm so glad things turned out well and it's always great to hear about such a supportive husband, too!

#10 of 11 Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM

That's crazy about wanting you sign a form that says you know co-sleeping can be dangerous!  Yikes!  But who knows... maybe you'll help open their minds a bit! 

#11 of 11 Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Wow!! Where do you live that someone on the hospital staff actually said you should leave if you wanted to birth at home!?!  I'm so glad you got that person thumb.gif

Congrats on your sweet boy! Welcome Oscar  joy.gif

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page