Does this still count? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-31-2011, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted before about firing my midwife and going UC because I didn't feel connected with her. Well my previous midwife is actually going to be in town the month of my due date and I would love for her to be there! However, I feel in my heart now that I want to go UC. Would her being in another room or outside still count as UC? She would only come in when we asked her to, to weigh the baby and such.

Wife to a wonderful man,cd.gif ,lactivist.gif,femalesling.GIF,familybed2.gif,hbac.gif,belly.gif, planning a uc.jpg in November!

#2 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Please?

Wife to a wonderful man,cd.gif ,lactivist.gif,femalesling.GIF,familybed2.gif,hbac.gif,belly.gif, planning a uc.jpg in November!

#3 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 07:10 AM

Why does it matter if it "counts" as a UC? if you are more comfortable with her nearby and that's what you want and need, then that's all that matters, right?
I would hope that you choose what you want and need for your labor and birth because that's what you truly want/need, not for some title of UC or whatever.
Wishing you the best!

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#4 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 07:34 AM

I don't think there is a clear cut answer to this question.  A lot of people have their own views of what is actually unassisted or not,  they often differ from one person to the next.  That being said,  I'm not sure that it should matter that much.  Not trying to be snarky at all but if that's what you want why does it matter if it's technically an UC?  You would be getting the birth you WANT just maybe not the label of an UC.  Isn't that what matters?

#5 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I am not after a TITLE. I just wondered what your opinions were. It doesn't matter what it is labeled, I just didn't know if it was considered an UC or not. I didn't want to be on here saying it was UC if it wasn't. She is actually coming as my friend but will be there after to clean up :) It is the birth I want!

#6 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM

No one can qualify your birth accept you. A friend in another room, you feel it's UC, then call it such.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#7 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 12:43 PM

I agree that it doesn't really matter!  Some people would probably say yes and some would probably say no.  I really don't know what I would say - but it just really doesn't matter :)

I mean, having a midwife nearby could be a comfort to someone even if she likely won't do anything.  Having a hospital nearby, with no one in the other room, could be a comfort, too - but it's still "there" just in case.  Kinda different, maybe, but still :)

#8 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 PM

To me, this still seems like a UC. You should definitely have her there in the other room if you feel like that is what you would like. jammin.gif

FIREdevil.gifJessima, devilish wife to tiphat.gifKelleypa and bellycast.gif mama to 3rdtri.gif Wolf EDD 10/04/11.

Looking forward to a wonderful  waterbirth.jpg followed by some tasty placenta.gif and thencd.gif  intactlact.gif familybed1.gif homeschool.gif

#9 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Have her wherever you want. Have the birth that you want.

Becka, partnered with Eric. Momma to Kenz, 12, Abbey, 9, Nik, 8, Johanna, 3.5, and newone on the way in October

#10 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandasemele View Post

Ok, I am not after a TITLE. I just wondered what your opinions were. It doesn't matter what it is labeled, I just didn't know if it was considered an UC or not. I didn't want to be on here saying it was UC if it wasn't. She is actually coming as my friend but will be there after to clean up :) It is the birth I want!

I'm kind of wondering the same thing.  Most likely my birth will end up with midwives in the other room or coming right after the birth for my husband's sake, so I feel out of place talking about my birth plans as planning an unassisted birth.  

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#11 of 12 Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 PM

I don't think it should matter what it would be called.  But, specifically, "unassisted" means "unassisted", so if you were not "assisted" during the birth, then you can call it "unassisted birth".

But, honestly, I think it is funny when people want to "title" their birth.  I figure, have the birth you want, one that is safe, one that provides you with a healthy baby and momy, and all the rest does not really matter.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#12 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I should know that here there would not be any judging! I figure if it helps my hubby be at ease then it will allow him to be there for me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page