An introduction of sorts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-06-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going to hang out here for a little while if you guys don't chase me off.  It's not likely I'm going to UC this time, and I suppose it's not likely that there are more children in our future.  I'm 40, basically UPing with what I expect is twins, and trying to figure out what comes next for us... how to get these babies onto the earth, into our loving hands safely, without any unnecessary interventions.

Our homebirth turned into a Cesarean 4 years ago, due to alot of known and unknown reasons.  Now I'm 12.5 weeks pregnant, and while being completely at peace that my intuition could be wrong, I've felt that there are two babies since conception.  I know that alot of people are rolling their eyes at me, but I trust my body... I know they are fraternal boy/girl with two placentas and they are both healthy and strong.

I met with the local birth friendly OB because he's in super high demand- I respect that I and my babies might need him at some point, and I didn't want to walk into his delivery room begging for assistance without an introduction or assurance that he will help us.

Otherwise I'm just hanging around growing babies.  In a few weeks I'll be coming up to a point where I should decide whether to schedule a 20 week U/S for medical diagnosis.  The closer it comes, the less I want to do it... though I know that at some point before these babies are cooked I should check things out at least briefly.

I'm not here looking for advice, though I appreciate hearing support from likeminded folks.  It's tiring to stand alone in a society that can't comprehend a wombon who doesn't pee on sticks, avoids ultrasounds and is averse to doppler.  So I guess I what I am looking for is a little positive influence and I hope to find it here.  I'm Lisa.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#2 of 6 Old 08-07-2011, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi Lisa!

I haven't had babies, yet. BUT I have had clear intuition confirmed by several other people that one of my pregnancies will be with twins and I too plan to UP (and UC) if my intuition/body continue to affirm that that is the thing to do. I also would be avoiding the ultrasound and doppler like the plague (unless of course my body indicated otherwise). So while I haven't been there yet...I'm right there with ya!

Brief soapbox...And just...the 20 week u/s is not do or die, ya know? It's a recommendation that the "sheep herders" came up with and lots of people falling into the role as sheep followed along with and then it became like law....but it's just not! We have brains and we can decide if/when we feel assistance &/or procedures are necessary. End of soap box.

Many blessings to you and your continued healthy pregnancy & birth.

ETA: While I appreciate my intuition (I don't & won't rely solely on it) I've also done A LOT of reading/research on pregnancy and birth and unassisted birth and variations of normal birth and procedures/interventions and continue to...and I think it's important for all of us regardless of what kind of pregnancy & birth we want to have to educate ourselves.  thumb.gif

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#3 of 6 Old 08-07-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, after a long conversation with my family last night letting them know my concerns and intentions re: the 20 week scan, we decided to skip it.  We can do it later if we want... I'm inclined to do a quick peek somewhere between 30 and 35 weeks to acknowledge placental position, etc.  And that's the way it shall be, unless something changes.  Meanwhile, we're continuing with a healthy normal pregnancy and birth.  Exhilarating... and so excellent to have fantastic support.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#4 of 6 Old 08-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's so good to hear that you have the support of your family love.gif

Congrats!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#5 of 6 Old 08-07-2011, 06:22 PM

You can potentially confirm placenta position without a US as well. I'm unsure about if it's posterior, but from anterior you can. I've known surely since about 18wks (within a few weeks of feeling movement) that the placenta is left fundal/anterior. It's been confirmed with palpation and through listening (it sounds much like ocean waves breaking) No ultrasound necessary.

Becka, partnered with Eric. Momma to Kenz, 12, Abbey, 9, Nik, 8, Johanna, 3.5, and newone on the way in October

#6 of 6 Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Becka, I remember my midwife commenting that she knew where T's placenta was... but she was wrong about alot of things, and that was before the Cesarean of course.  

I'll have to see if I can figure it out with my fetoscope.  I haven't been able to find a traditional midwife to assist me this time... so it looks likely that we'll either do it all ourselves at home, or we go to the hospital (and hopefully do it all ourselves).  So you can see why I really want to know that everything looks great for a gentle birth at the last minute...  

This said, I'm very inclined to avoid all ultrasound/doppler, if it's both wise and possible.  I love you guys already.  There's not too many folks you can talk to these days that are supportive of avoiding what's unnecessary and possibly dangerous.  Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page