how to steam placenta without special steamer pot? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can I pressure cook the placenta or somehow steam it in the microwave with special steamer bags. Sounds like a joke but I'm serious. 

I want to encapsulate my own placenta and have seen the directions online. I have a dehydrator, coffee grinder and gel caps. I don't have  a steamer basket and don't want to spend the $40 for a pot and steamer basket that I will only use once

ETA: Is there a raw method and you skip steaming it? I was just re-reading instructions and they say you can just slice it and go straight to dehydrating. Any pros and cons to dehydrating while raw instead of steamed/cooked

link to instructions and pictures

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1577334/Placenta_Encapsulation_Instructions_w_Pictures

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Are you on Facebook? There's an excellent group called Placenta Alchemy on FB  with loads of info.

#3 of 6 Old 08-11-2011, 02:19 AM

You don't need to steam it. You can just slice it into chunks & dehydrate it. I actually think it has more nutrients that way.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#4 of 6 Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

deleted

#5 of 6 Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 PM

Welcome- I suggested the FB group because there is talk there of pros/cons of both encapsulation methods and one woman just did a study and here is what was said so far:

I am glad to read on an earlier thread that there is such interest in the research. I just wanted to give an update and let you all know that we (the research team at UNLV) are working on several papers right now that discuss the placentophagy research we've been conducting over the last two years. One study is directly related to the previous discussion re: placental contents pre- and post-preparation method. I wanted to do this study because I was often (and still am) criticized for the preparation methods I use and teach, which are based on TCM principles. Critics say that the placental contents are destroyed during the preparation, so I was eager to test this out with an actual study. I am pleased to report that the initial results are very interesting. Another study was the pilot survey to assess mothers' experiences with placentophagy; I am currently working on that paper right now. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the results yet, not until the papers have been submitted for publication. Due to our presentations at last years' Anthropology annual conference, a journal is devoting an entire issue to placentophagy, and all of the papers will be in there. Look for that to be released later this year or early next.

I had the TCM method done for my placenta pills.
#6 of 6 Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 PM

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to point out (in case it interests anyone), that you can steam stuff with a metal colander instead of a basket. You can even prop it up in the pot with a small steel something (prep bowl? small lid?), if you need to. I do this all the time with veggies. :)

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page