Jack's Birth Story...finally! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh Jack!!

December 19th, 2010 I gave birth to my 5th child, a boy!! Jack Daniel and he was and still is a total sweetie!!

That Saturday night, about 11pm, after all the kids went to bed, my DH and I went to get into bed and I said, "Tomorrow, I don't want to be pregnant. What can we do to get things rolling?" Jack was due Dec 5th.  So DH, with his handy I Phone (shameless plug) in hand, Google "pressure points to induce labor" and found this site from Australia who directed us on a few spots on my ankle and leg. One spot in particular sent me through the roof! Like nails on a chalkboard. He massaged me a bit and we lay down to sleep.

45 minutes later, I woke to some attention-getting flexes. These make me get out of bed. I think the beginning was about 8-10 minute intervals and DH woke to see me pacing.  I felt okay, not scared or anything, but felt this was different from all the other warm-up flexes I was having during the past weeks. This went on for about ½ an hr, then I had to get naked. I felt the flexes building in intensity and realized the baby was coming that night.

This time around, as opposed to the last UC's I had, was quite different. The flexes had no rhythm or pattern. I would talk through one that lasted about 30 seconds, followed by 2 minutes of nothing, then 1 minute of focused breathing, to 4 minutes of nothing. There was no rhyme or reason.

About an hour into this, things started to get serious when I had to hang on the door of the bathroom through the flexes. DH was watching me with a puzzled look and asked, "What's going on?" "I don't know," I said," This is different!" I was moaning low and slow through the flexes and began to sweat EVERYWHERE!

I jumped into the shower to cool off a bit, only to return to the door to hang some more. Then I felt pushy...and within the next few flexes/pushes, my water broke!!! That has never happened before!

Okay, Game on! So the dread of birth was still lurking in the back of my mind. I really wasn't into the feeling of birth as I was reliving all the other births and their feelings. Looking back, it was no big thing, but during the labor- UGGH! I wasn't afraid; I just didn't want to do it. (I'm glad I did, he's so stinkin cute!)

So, I stared at my bed.  I knew I had to get into it to birth the baby. I kept pacing, flexing, breathing and sort of pushing...all the while I glared at my bed with opposition. I told my DH that I didn't want to get into the bed, because I knew what would happen next. He laughed. I wasn't laughing, I was serious.

I finally became too tired to pace any longer, and about 2 hours from the start, I reluctantly climbed into the bed. I lay on my side through a few flexes, and then had to get on my hands and knees because the pushing took over the flexes. I was actually a bit relieved that I was done with the flexes and moving into this stage, it seemed easier, maybe because I knew I was almost done.

DH sat behind me, and watched the whole thing! Hands ready to catch the baby.  He saw the hair coming out first, then with about 6-7 pushes, out baby came! He shouted it's a boy! And this time, I believed him!

I was pooped. Sweat came from places I didn't know I could sweat and I collapsed on the bed. His umbilical cord was I swear 18 inches long! It was crazy long. DH picked Jack up and plunked him on my belly- he latched right on and about 5 minutes later, the placenta came out.

My belly felt weird, like I had no sensation in the skin. I remember this from the other births, too. That passed once my adrenalin dropped. I thought the brith would be fast. And it was. It was awesome awesome awesome!

Baby #5...yeah, I'd do it again. *wink wink* 

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks for sharing. I have been reading so many "fast" UC stories lately--I'm hoping that it is preparation for my own fast labor and birth! Enjoy your sweet boy. They are so much fun and so different, huh? 

Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Love it!  I had a fast labor as well, makes me want to do it over and over again! <3

Tags
Birth Stories , Unassisted Childbirth
User Tag List