Other children and UC - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

I'm new to this forum.  We're getting ready to TTC and we are contemplating a UP/UC.  A little history on myself, our first was a midwife attended home/water birth that went wonderfully until after he was born.  After an hour my placenta had only partially detached which caused me to bleed heavily and be transferred.  Luckily i was able to come home within 6hrs.  One of my midwives stayed home with the baby while the rest of us went to the hospital.  What do you do in a situation like this if you are UCing?  I'm worried about my DH being responsible for 3 people and trying to get me to the hospital.

Also,  I had borderline Pre-e in my last 4 weeks.  Are you likely to have that with every pregnancy or can it be a one time occurence?  I know I an RN and should know these things, but its hard to find non-fear mongering advice on the subject.

Thanks for your advice ladies!

Melissa, NICU nurse, married to DH since 6/07, biggrinbounce.gifDS 5/31/10 h20homebirth.gif, Baby # 2 due 12/10/12 ***4***8stork-suprise.gif**12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40 

#2 of 3 Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Was it really borderline pre-e or was it PIH? These are two different conditions that I have seen used interchangeably, but are in fact two separate issues. Gail Hart has compiled research on reducing the risk of pre-e in women at risk in her book: http://www.midwifeupdates.com/researchupdatesformidwives. I just happened to be looking for something else in there today before I came here. She discusses both dietary changes and supplements that have been shown to reduce risk of both pre-e and PIH. It's a great book, written by a great midwife. Very easy to read and very thorough in its documentation.

In case of you requiring transport, here's what I would do (and have done with a client who required transport for PPH): I would have dh take the baby to the hospital separately from you in his own vehicle. He could wear the baby into the hospital in a sling and make it clear that YOU are the patient, not the baby. (It has been my experience that the hospital personnel will ask to examine the baby, but will not push the issue if refused.) That way you are not separated from the baby for hours, and you are still able to nurse and hold the baby at the hospital as much as your condition allows. As far as the other child goes, it really can be helpful to have a support person who is at the birth or even just available if needed for childcare. BUT, and this is super important, it has to be a person who is supportive of your birth situation, and who does not care about actually witnessing the birth. Do you want your toddler involved in the birth? That is something to prepare for and to consider beyond the "if I have to transfer" question.

Here's something else to consider about inviting ANYONE ELSE to your birth: Having another set of eyes on you during labor can really bring up more issues. I speak from experience. My best friend, who had been at my other two midwife-attended homebirths but is not a homebirther herself, was invited to my UC to care for my 2yo ds. He woke up during a very intense point in my labor and would not be comforted until he saw dh and myself. He calmed down and I'm pretty sure he fell back asleep on our bed as I labored on. But at that point, my bf was on my bed and just watching and worrying (ugh) as I labored. I did not want her in there, but I also could not come out of myself enough to vocalize that to her or to my dh so that he could handle it. That energy of someone worrying and not agreeing with your choices during birth can totally derail things. In my case, it was more of an annoyance and something about my labor that I do regret, but I have seen someone else's bad energy totally throw and wrench in the workings of birth. Just something to think about.

#3 of 3 Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!  I think i would be considered more on the pre-e side since i had proteinuria.  It got as high as +2/+3.  I even went to an L&D to have labs drawn, but they said i wasn't bad enough to need mag so we signed out AMA cuz i didn't want to be induced.  I think if i had been on the brewers diet throughout my pregnancy i would have been better off rather than waiting until I was in trouble.  I'll check out that book you suggested.

Melissa, NICU nurse, married to DH since 6/07, biggrinbounce.gifDS 5/31/10 h20homebirth.gif, Baby # 2 due 12/10/12 ***4***8stork-suprise.gif**12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page