Advice on diability paperwork after a UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I need to get my EDD paperwork approved by a medical professional (OB, Midwife, Nurse Practitioner) after the birth of my baby to get my 6 weeks of disabiity payments for maternity leave. I'm trying to decide if I should go into L&D after the birth (a few hours at least, want time to relax with the baby!) and just play the "oops, we didn't quite make it" card so that I can have someone there take care of it...and possibly the birth certificate stuff too.  On the other hand, I could probably just make a same day appt to see someone at the OBGYN department (HMO, I see whoever's there) and hope that they will approve the paperwork?

I really can't afford to NOT get my payments, nor can I afford to have them start coming late so unfortunately this is a really big deal, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information about getting paperwork approved when you birth unassisted...go figure shrug.gif

Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks ya'all!

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've heard that if you transfer like that, the hospital will not do a birth certificate for you because your baby wasn't born in the hospital.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

It's possible, the birth certificate is actually not what I'm worried about, it's a pretty straightforward process here, there's a packet and everything to take to the registrars office. I can take baby in next day for a checkup with my OB's and that will provide me with the paperwork I need for the Birth Certificate. I'm more concerned about the EDD paperwork, getting my disability payments, for maternity leave. Just wondering if I HAVE to show up on the actual day of the birth at the L&D, or if I could just go in for a same day OBGYN appt with the baby the next day.

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

Old 08-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I had an accidental unassisted UC and then was transported to the hospital via ambulance after cord was cut and the placenta was delivered there. I was scheduled to give birth there. I have a birth certificate saying that I gave birth at the hospital and they charged my insurance full freight as well.

However I was told that they only gave me birth certificate because they delivered the placenta and that they "won't document" newborns unless they participate in the birth. And the OB staff at a hosptial doesn't take appointments for outside people unless they have a private practice outside of the hospital and merely have admitting privledges, in which case it is merely a newborn visit . (I had also asked about a newborn exam because I really liked the head of the newborn unit and they said no and referred me to my ped.)

If you want them to verify your birth you probably need to make it look REALLY accidental and arrive as an emergency room via ambulance (more than $4000 for these alone with my birth) immediatly after birth.

If you don't have a relationship with the hospital and no medical cause to be there (issues with the newborn, bleeding for the mom) then they won't treat you because really, why are you there? What are they going to get paid for? Newborn exams can be done at a peds office.

BTW, I am also in CA and you must be very, very VERY careful with the disability paperwork. I had a problem with my first (and it was a hospital birth!) and I didn't get a single payment until THREE MONTHS after my birth. It was a huge hassle and it wasn't even the EDD's fault.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Good info. I should probably mention that I'm covered by Kaiser...so it's all in house. They definately know me b/c I've been getting prenatal care there and my files are readily available. I've also seen each and everyone of the midwives and OB's that work int he OBGYN dept for the hospital I get care at...not sure if that makes a difference, but I will know whoever is "on-call" when I have the baby.

I know EDD is a freaking NIGHTMARE! Just about the screwiest system ever, I have had clients with horror stories much like yours...so sorry you had to deal with that! I am going on pregnancy disability next week (38 weeks), so at least I know I'll be in the system, it's just a question of them changing me from pregnancy disability to postpartum for the 6 weeks of maternity leave.

Again, just not sure if I really need to go in to L&D after the birth (assuming there are no other reasons to seek medical care), or if I can just give my $20 copay and set up an appointment the next day so the OB/midwife can see that I've given birth and sign off on EDD.

Freaking complicated...I'm going to write a how-to after this is all done!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 AM

I just saw this.

Are you sure it has to be a birth-related professional? After my 2yo was born, I went in to my regular family doctor and she signed both mine and my husband's paperwork for leave. You might call and ask...

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

User Tag List