Placenta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello there!

I have a couple questions about the placenta. I'd like to eat it in my morning smoothies, but I'd also like to leave attached to baby for as long as possible before preparing it to get frozen. How long can I wait if I don't want to put it in ice while it is attached?

Also, I have no idea how big it usually is or how easy to cut it would be. What size bowl should I use to keep it in until it gets cut? What should I use to cut it? Would a normal kitchen knife do the job?

Thanks!!!

hippie.gifintactlact.giffemalesling.GIF mama to my little baby fairydust.gif(07/27/10) and expecting stork-suprise.gif in february 2012

#2 of 6 Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 AM

Once the placenta is no longer attached, it is essentially a large chunk of raw meat. The question then becomes "how long would I leave a large chunk of large meat without preservation of some sort?" Of course, most steaks (for example) are destined to me cooked before they are eaten, and so can be left out a bit longer. If you are going to eat your placenta raw - it must be treated more like sushi meat. 

A normal (good) kitchen knife should do the job, keeping in mind that the membranes and cord are quite tough. It's probably best to cut the meat of the placenta from them. 

A normal placenta is more of a salad or mixing bowl size, rather than a soup bowl. lol Hope that helps!

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

#3 of 6 Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

hippie.gifintactlact.giffemalesling.GIF mama to my little baby fairydust.gif(07/27/10) and expecting stork-suprise.gif in february 2012

#4 of 6 Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 AM

I asked the same question recently. Here is the thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1320437/questions-about-consuming-placenta

FIREdevil.gifJessima, devilish wife to tiphat.gifKelleypa and bellycast.gif mama to 3rdtri.gif Wolf EDD 10/04/11.

Looking forward to a wonderful  waterbirth.jpg followed by some tasty placenta.gif and thencd.gif  intactlact.gif familybed1.gif homeschool.gif

#5 of 6 Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM

In my opinion, it is not really accurate to compare the placenta to a grocery-bought piece of raw meat.  Raw steaks that you see in the stores have traveled to get there and are not fresh off the cow (they may even be a couple days old).  Your placenta will be literally brand new from your body.  Depending on the temperature in your house, it may be appropriate to leave baby attached for a couple hours or more.  Go with your gut feeling.  You will know when it is time to detach baby from the placenta.

As far as size and practicalities, anticipate the placenta being about the size of a dinner plate and around an inch in thickness.  You will need a colander to go inside a big bowl to allow your placenta to drain (and drain it will!).  When you are ready to separate it from your baby, do so in whatever way you choose, and then have your appointed placenta preparation person bring the colander and bowl to the sink and rinse it (and rinse it and rinse it and rinse it...you'd be amazed at how much you must rinse it before the water runs almost clear).  I recommend rinsing thoroughly for smoothie consumption...it's not as necessary for encapsulation because you will not taste any blood in the capsules. 

Anyway, when it is good and rinsed, use a very sharp knife (preferably filet--placentas are TOUGH) to cut off any dangling membranes and the umbilical cord, and then cut the placenta into 1-2 inch chunks.  You can then place these chunks on a plate (keeping space between them so they don't touch each other), and place the whole plate in a large zip-lock freezer bag.  Then put the whole thing in the freezer and use one piece at a time for your smoothies (the first smoothie can be made right after your baby's birth with a raw, unfrozen piece of placenta!).  This is my preferred method.  Some mamas put the placenta chunks in the fridge for a couple days before transferring to the freezer.  I don't like to take the chance that any placenta will get funky.

Hope this helps! innocent.gif

Sprat sleepytime.gif, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig reading.gif, the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, and now Sprout fly-by-nursing1.gif walking, talking, how on earth is she this big?! Rainbow.gif on earth.gif begins with homebirth.jpg.

#6 of 6 Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 PM

I actually used kitchen shears rather than a knife to cut my placenta. And I barely rinsed it, but I encapsulated rather than making smoothies.

We left the cord for well over an hour & then put the placenta in the fridge until I felt up to dealing with it

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page