UC'ing and MRSA? (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-09-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quesion self answered. I know I can homebirth safely. It doesn't matter where I birth because the baby would be exposed to the possibility of MRSA no matter where I give birth.

#2 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

#3 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Yes.  You and the baby are both at risk.  You may need prophylactic antibiotics during labor, and you will need proper wound care and possibly postpartum antibiotics if you tear.   The baby will also need monitoring after birth to check whether she/he is colonized with MRSA, and whether it is causing infection.  

...the cuties in my avatar are my wonderful, c-section born, fully vaccinated sweethearts...
#4 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

#5 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
 how can I take better precautions to safeguard my baby since I'll be birthing at home?

I would put birthing at home as a secondary goal and safeguarding your baby (and yourself) as the primary goal.  And for MRSA, I think the answer is clear: seek medical advice.  Go see an OB and find out what your options are.  A midwife (experts in NORMAL birth) is not the right medical practitioner for this situation.  And neither are you.

...the cuties in my avatar are my wonderful, c-section born, fully vaccinated sweethearts...
#6 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimie View Post

I would put birthing at home as a secondary goal and safeguarding your baby (and yourself) as the primary goal.  And for MRSA, I think the answer is clear: seek medical advice.  Go see an OB and find out what your options are.  A midwife (experts in NORMAL birth) is not the right medical practitioner for this situation.  And neither are you.

Just quoting what mimie said because it bears repeating. You don't have to let go of your ideals of having an unassisted pregnancy and homebirth, But the health of you and your baby is top priority, right? Please have this checked out by a doctor who you trust. Seek recommendations if you need to from like-minded friends. In the end, the decision of how and where to birth is yours, but your baby's safety is seriously at risk when there is a confirmed staph infection involved.

caffix.gif
#7 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegirl View Post

Just quoting what mimie said because it bears repeating. You don't have to let go of your ideals of having an unassisted pregnancy and homebirth, But the health of you and your baby is top priority, right? Please have this checked out by a doctor who you trust. Seek recommendations if you need to from like-minded friends. In the end, the decision of how and where to birth is yours, but your baby's safety is seriously at risk when there is a confirmed staph infection involved.

Oh of course! But the baby would be exposed to the strand one way or another. There's no surefire way to keep the baby away from it. I have had this strand for almost 4 years and through another pregnancy and birth and had no antibiotics during labor or delivery. I don't see what antibiotics would even do if there are no active infections anyhow, except make the strain stronger.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page