Hi everyone. I've been reading on this board for a few weeks and I love it. The more I read, the more I want to have an unassisted birth. I am six months along, due in January with my 3rd baby. So far I have been seeing a midwife who is completely awesome but I still feel like I want to labor on my own. I just got the book Heart and Hands and will be reading that to help me learn everything I need to know. My midwife is also totally supportive of my desire to have an unassisted birth and she is willing to give me as much info as she can. She has been really great.
I have a few questions. First of all, I want to buy a fetal doppler and I'm not sure what one to buy. Does anyone have a good one to recommend? I really don't want to have to spend hundreds of dollars and I've seen a few that are reasonable (around a hundred dollars) but I'm worried they won't work. So I'd love some input on that.
Also, what are some things you couldn't have lived without at your birth? I'm trying to make a list of supplies I will need.
And my last question for now: what herbs do you recommend for pregnancy/labor/postpartum?
I've used these guys for doppler rental. It's much cheaper than buying, and the customer service is great.
DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12
I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!
Can't help you on the doppler question, as I never felt one was necessary, but here's my birth kit list:
- birth pool (I didn't use it last time but you never know)
- chux pads (great for sitting on PP too)
- cord clamps
- sharp, sterilized scissors
- placenta bowl
- blankets for baby (baby might pee or pass meconium on the first one or two)
- hats for baby (first one will probably get icky)
- kitchen scale to weigh baby
- tape measure to measure baby
- Placenta Out, for retained placenta (if I am having significant bleeding after the placenta is out, I will swallow a chunk of it, use nipple stimulation, uterine massage, etc.)
I'm pretty low risk and I trust my body, so my birth kit is pretty minimal. I didn't use the Placenta Out last time, so I still have that from my last birth. Otherwise I used pretty much everything else on the list. :)