Any military wives with UC experience? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-11-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have always imagined my births as UC, just my sweetheart and me. The reality was one hospital birth with my husband deployed, one birth center birth, and one homebirth. Now I am expecting number four, and because we are military, and there are no CNM's in our area that attend homebirth my options are 1. to pay out of pocket (again) for a homebirth, 2. Go the free route and go with the military hospital 3. Go to an outside CNM, hopistal birth as no birth center CNMs are close enough, or 4. UC.

My husband and I  both fantasize about a UC, and my births have been so perfectly ideal .... we had people there, but it was pretty much our show with our girls' births anyways.

I am just nervous for a few factors. Part of that is with the military. I am RH neg. and though all of my babies have been neg. too ( meaning no need for a second rhogam shot), I do need to get that blood test pretty soon afterwards just to be sure. So, I was wondering if anyone had experience dealing with Tricare and getting a check up for baby soon after birth. they gave us some issues after our homebirth, but at least we had a letter from a birth attendant, which they requested, and if we UC, we wouldn't have that...I mean that can't deny us care right? but in terms of if the baby is considered Prime, Standard, not Deers enrolled ( not without a letter from a birth attendant or Ped....) I am just not sure. I have a hard time post-partum, and I am not good at standing up for myself even when i believe in my decisions....too much of a people pleaser, so I am just trying to think ahead to avoid situations where I will feel unduly judged. One of my births was so incredibly fast that as far as extended family goes, we have no problem saying that it was an oops ( we live out in the sticks and in all honesty, we could end up doing this at home whether we wanted to or not, as far as I can see).

This is my heart's desire. but I just want to be informed and prepared- make sure that I am not being selfih in this. Dpes that make sense? Gosh, this ended up being a lot more than a military wife question, but if anyone has some experience with this, I would dearly appreciate it.

H

#2 of 5 Old 12-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and I don't have UC experience but we are wanting a home birth with LO#2. You can bring LO to the pedi on base/post even before s/he is enrolled in DEERS. LO will automatically be covered under Prime for 60 days. All you have to do to get LO seen by a doctor is show your ID. Once you get a birth certificate (I'm not sure how you go about doing this with a UC, but I'm sure others here do) you can enroll LO in DEERS and choose Prime or Standard.

#3 of 5 Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM

I have two military wife friends who had planned UCs and one who had a genuine "no time to get to the hospital" UC and as far as I know, none of them had problems getting the baby in for his/her first appointment. The baby is covered under Prime for the first 60 days so it shouldn't be an issue and they really shouldn't need anything from you other than your ID.

Sarah B~ Proud Marine Wife, mama of two girlshomebirth.jpg!

#4 of 5 Old 12-13-2011, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

oh thank you so much for sharing the info :) that's what I needed to know. Because they did try to give me trouble after my homebirth-but we knew we were in the right with that one. I just want to make sure how things should be handled if I don't even have MW records to back it up :)

#5 of 5 Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM

Hi!  I know this thread was from awhile ago, but I was wondering how it went with your birth.  We are a USMC family.  I am pregnant with our 4th, and we would like a UC this time.  I have no idea how to do this, logistically.  I have had one prenatal appt at Naval.  Do I just attend appts, then just not go to the hospital when babe is on his/her way?  How do I get a birth certificate?  How did it go for you, with getting the babe checked after?  Any advice would be very appreciated!

Nikki

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page