Refusal forms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am hoping that these are helpful. I found links to vax refusal and PKU refusal forms. I thought maybe they would be nice to have incase I do birth in a hospital. I will be posting them on our hospital room door if I end up there !!!

http://www.health.state.mn.us/newbornscreening/docs/parental_refusal.pdf

http://www.aap.org/immunization/pediatricians/pdf/refusaltovaccinate.pdf

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 12-15-2011, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Message Deleted
#3 of 21 Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Why are you refusing PKU? Just curious...if you have to transfer, why would you choose not to know?

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#4 of 21 Old 12-15-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks rnra. I got a little fiesty there for a minute. I had 2 hospital births and don't remember any of the paperwork part. I am not sure if they had me sign consent etc. I just remember them popping in in the middle of the night and saying, "oh she needs ______. We'll take her to the nursery and bring her back." etc. I think I signed a bunch of times in a big packet when we discharged.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#5 of 21 Old 12-15-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post

Why are you refusing PKU? Just curious...if you have to transfer, why would you choose not to know?

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1179065/do-you-do-the-pku-test

There is more info on this thread about PKU and no PKU reasons.

#6 of 21 Old 12-15-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnra View Post

There's really no need to be posting things on your door.  The vaccine will not be given without a signed consent from you.  Also, just keep your baby with you at all times while you are there, and you'll know what's going on with her.  If someone offers you the PKU testing, you can politely decline.  There's not a reason to make a big deal out of it.

Depends on the hospital. Many vax, apply eye drops, etc. as a matter of protocol and say it's covered under the blanket consent you sign when you enter.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#7 of 21 Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Oh, I know why some people choose not to, I was wondering what your personal reasons are...if that's too much to share, that's fine. 

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#8 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 07:45 AM

As a momma with a child with a suspected metabolic disorder (mitochondrial disease) that WAS NOT CAUGHT AT BIRTH...

I highly encourage you to re-consider newbornscreening (including PKU)...

many of these disorders are helped by DIET CHANGES/Supplementation with a vitamin the baby is not processing correctly...

and without detection many of these disorders can lead to mental retardation and SIDS...

http://bit.ly/P9DYF6

I completely honor your personal decision to make this choice for you and your baby...

but from a mom who has lived with a child who was not detected....

This is what i wish I knew then...that I know now...

respectfully-

Babyfoodsteps

#9 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:

There's really no need to be posting things on your door.  The vaccine will not be given without a signed consent from you.  Also, just keep your baby with you at all times while you are there, and you'll know what's going on with her.  If someone offers you the PKU testing, you can politely decline.  There's not a reason to make a big deal out of it.

While it would be great if this were true for.every hospital everywhere, it is NOT. There very well may be a need to make a big deal out of it at the OP's local hospital.

And it.would be fantastic if permission were sought always, but again, that is not always the case.

What's it going to hurt for the OP (or anyone else) to print and post these forms, just to be completely clear with the staff? You can't always keep the baby with you, and you don't always get to give informed consent....nothing wrong with covering all bases.

It's great that in your experience these forms are not necessary....in MY experience, they are. And I see no value in acting as if they are not, or as if the OP is making a "big.deal" by taking every step possible to ensure her wishes for.her child's treatment are respected.
#10 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 AM

Arg, posting from my phone....ignore unnecessary periods lol!
#11 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks for posting the PKU thread link BaileyB!  I've been thinking a lot about this decision so that was really helpful!

#12 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I can see putting forms on the door, but doubt it would work. As a home birth transfer, I can see being worried about how people might try to just do stuff to your baby without permission first, given that many nurses have a fear-based veiw of home birth.  I think it would be more effective to have someone to tell the nurses no.  Just tell them no, she said no, no, she refused, she means no.  The plan is for DH to do that if we have to transfer this time.

Even when we were planning a hospital birth, DH and I had a deal.  Once that baby left the womb, his only job was to stay with them.  Eyes on them all the time, make sure no shots or formula or anyone holding her, to stop anything that wasn't already agreed to happening really.  Even the most considerate, caring, perfect staff, it only takes one person's slip up and that's it for your baby.

I think wherever you give birth, just being aware of your responsibility for yourself and your baby is paramount.  Its your body, its always your choice, you can always get an AMA form if you want, but also, its also your baby, and you need to take the risks and responsibility together.  I think alot of the fear of/from hospitals is just that they see themselves as taking on all the risk and the patients often do not accept that, if they want to direct their own care, they have to accept the risks too.  When nurses and other CPs see you taking both the risk and responsibility, I think they relax a little.  Just my theory.

#13 of 21 Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:

My baby was given a vaccine without my consent. When they came in to request my signature and I refused, the expression on the nurse's face. She didn't expect that. She did not tell me the baby had been vaxed without my written consent. It was the doctor who told me. I told him I didn't want my baby vaccinated because an older child had had serious reactions, when I saw the doctor later, and he said that the baby had been vaccinated in the hospital and looked just fine.

And, definitely, I agree with keeping the baby with you all the time. Unfortunately, this hospital would not let babies stay with mothers 24 hours a day.

#14 of 21 Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 AM

I highly suggest doing extensive research before skipping the metabolic screen "PKU" test. It started with just pku but has now expanded to testing for 30-60 different metabolic problems (depending on your state). Almost all babies with metabolic problems have no prior family history and are born perfect and healthy (because the mother is doing all the work). Left untreated by the time the baby shows the first symptoms that the mom can notice the repercussions can be seizures, brain damage, or even worse. My coworker's beautiful and perfect little girl was diagnosed with a Biotene deficiency, even as a NICU nurse she had never heard of that. Without the metabolic screen she would have had permanent brain damage, instead she is busy wearing dress up and playing with her baby dolls. 

Of course it's everyone's individual decision, but please be very very aware of the risk you are taking instead of a small heel prick. Although they are uncommon, they are certainly not rare. I have seen many babies with metabolic disorders and every.single.one of their parents were shocked that they had it. -Kat

#15 of 21 Old 10-12-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntauLJn View Post

Unfortunately, this hospital would not let babies stay with mothers 24 hours a day.

At our hospital for DD, even though they "let" your baby stay with you 24/7, they repeatedly offered to take the baby to the nursery, and once just said she had to go.  Fortunately, DH and I had agreed beforehand that once that baby came out, his job was to be with her.  He followed her everywhere, from when she came out to the cord cutting to the nursery for an hour and a half, everywhere.  The nurses were great and we we always asked before anything was done, but, it would have been hard to pull anything screwy with him right there.  I think that helped more than having forms posted anywhere.  The nurses were clearly used to people refusing the vax, but they also made it clear that birth plans and any other written directions from the mom would be COMPLETELY disregarded, if not made fun of.  Having a real person do the arguing was effective for us.

#16 of 21 Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM

fayebond, you have an awesome husband.

#17 of 21 Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 PM

Adding my vote for "Consider having the metabolic screening done."

I skipped the eye goo with our kids (I don't have a STIs), we did the oral vitamin K rather than the injected and we don't vaccinate. However, we did the metabolic testing with all of the kids and I was happy to have it done. The disorders it tests for are treatable and I wouldn't want to take the chance that our kid had one and damage was being done because we didn't know about it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#18 of 21 Old 01-19-2013, 03:26 PM

I think I would see about doing the metabolic screening too, as I personally know at least 3 young children that have one of the disorders. That's kind of a lot to ignore, but I've heard the results are more accurate if you wait til about 10 days after birth. So that baby's system is well into actually metabolizing food on its own.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#19 of 21 Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post

I think I would see about doing the metabolic screening too, as I personally know at least 3 young children that have one of the disorders. That's kind of a lot to ignore, but I've heard the results are more accurate if you wait til about 10 days after birth. So that baby's system is well into actually metabolizing food on its own.

I like doing two tests, at 24 hours and again at 2 weeks.

#20 of 21 Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 PM

I won't harp on you to reconsider PKU, I'm sure you've done extensive research on it smile.gif I just wanted to chime in with I agree, post that baby is to not get ANY tests, vaccines, etc. without prior written consent. At the hospital I had DD at I signed nothing and she received PKU testing, NB hearing testing, vit k, and eye goop. At the time I hadn't done research, and even now I only disagree with eye goop as I'm STI free, but it enrages me all this was done to my baby without permission. I was sleeping, DH was at work, and a nurse, without waking me up, took my daughter out of the room to do the hearing test. I woke up when she was gone, and you bet I was beyond livid! You HAVE to advocate for that baby, even if posting signs on the door seems excessive, do it!

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#21 of 21 Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM

alaskanmomma, I agree with not doing the eye goop at a homebirth if mom is STI free. However, in the event of a hospital birth (or hospital transport) it might not be a bad idea, since there is a chance of baby picking up an infection from the hospital.

Tags
Homebirth , Unassisted Childbirth

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page