Stressing over a UP - how to just let go and trust my body? - Mothering Forums
Unassisted Childbirth > Stressing over a UP - how to just let go and trust my body?
HML2199's Avatar HML2199 01:35 PM 12-18-2011

Hi!  I'm currently pregnant with my 5th child.  With my previous pregnancies, I had all natural hospital births with a midwife and pretty standard prenatal care with the monthly check-ups.   With this pregnancy I decided I want to do a homebirth and met with a different midwife that does homebirths at 8 weeks pregnant.  It was really not a good fit and I have decided to do a UP/UC this time around.  However, she did send me to an imaging center 3 days after my appointment with her for a "dating" u/s so I did see my little peanut's heartbeat and confirmed my due date.  Even though I wasn't going to be using her, I did still want the u/s.

So that brings me to now.  I've decided that the u/s I had at 9 weeks was the last intervention I'll have for this pregnancy.  I really just want to trust my body and God and let this pregnancy proceed as naturally as possible.   I find that I worry so much though!  I'm just so used to hear the heartbeat every month and the MW telling me everything is ok.  I've been pregnant enough times that I know how to measure my own uterus.  I'm now at 12 weeks and I can now feel it just where it should be.  So I know my baby is growing.  I will love when I start feeling him or her kick.  That reassurance will be so wonderful.

So how did you let go of the "normal"  prenatal care state of mind?  Any tips for an unassisted pregnancy?  did you rent/buy a home doppler?  thank you!!

Happy mama to

7 yo girl

5 yo boy

4 yo boy

2 yo girl &

12 weeks pregnant!

baileyb's Avatar baileyb 10:51 AM 12-20-2011

Let me just start out by saying that it is nice to hear someone else mention God as part of their UP/UC. :-)

Maybe it is the way that you came to the decision of UPing. I know for me I chose to UP before conception and felt a voice telling it was right for me so I never had to let go of prenatal appts because I wasn't expecting to have them. I would just say lots of little prayers throughout the day and try talking to your belly. 'How are you doing little baby?' 'I love you.' 'I hope you are doing okay.' etc. Maybe you can write down all the reasons you want to UP other than not liking the MW and focus on those. You could start an exercise group or a hobby. I just started a water aerobics class and have been focusing on nutrition and I find that just focusing on my personal health and happiness really helps me feel like I know more about my body and pregnancy and baby than I would if I went to the doctor or MW.

Sorry some of my sentences got a little long...

Just1More's Avatar Just1More 01:05 PM 12-20-2011

I am not ucing, but I do have a very laid back midwife.  I will probably see her a handful of times during the pg (I am 18 weeks and haven't yet), and she'll come to "catch".  If she makes it.  If not, she'll come and hang out for a while afterwards.  Basically, I'm free to do what I like, but she'll provide a bit of back up if I want it.  Works for me, and especially for dh.  Last time I saw her twice before the birth, and not until after 30 weeks.  No big deal.

I like being hands off.  I don't like looking for things to be wrong so that we can look for more things, and cause all that stress and worry.  My favorite advice EVER has been, "What are you going to do with the information?"

For me, nothing. 

No kicks?  Baby not growing?  No heatbeat?  Well, what would we do before birth to change the outcome of that scenerio?  Other than remove the privacy and possible peace, that is?

What about diabetes?  High blood pressure?  Maybe I'm a fool, but I eat healthy.  I don't really believe the whole diabetes thing anyway, and as far as HBP, there are usually symptoms.  No, not always, but I'll take that risk. 

Anyway, as I go down the list of reasons to see a midwife, reasons to be poked, prodded, and examined, I just can't get excited anymore.   What would I do with the information?  Likely, not much.

:)

baileyb's Avatar baileyb 10:13 AM 12-21-2011

yeahthat.gif x10

Tags: Unassisted Childbirth
Up