Midwife just for the paperwork... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my husband and I just had our first UC, second pregnancy.  Thing is, while the birth was beautiful, I was really not expecting the hoops we'd have to jump through to get a birth certificate.  We live in San Diego and without medical record of the birth, the Vital Records office wouldn't even see us but said we had to file with the courts.  Filed a petition, got the court order and was informed (again by vital records) that it then has to be mailed to Sacramento where it could take up to two months to get the BC.  Wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that my insurance requires the verifying docs be mailed in within 60 days.  So first of all, has anyone else in San Diego had this much trouble or am I being given the runaround?  My second question is, does anyone know of a midwife in San Diego who would be willing to be "on retainer" so to speak?  We would like to do a UC the next time around as well, but I'm hating the paperwork and would be completely willing to pay a partial fee to have someone show up after the baby is born to take care of the paperwork.  I am ok with one or two prenatals, but I have severe whitecoat hypertension and it affects me even with midwives and I feel like the only reason my blood pressure stayed down this time around was because I avoided the doctor as much as possible.  Anyhow, sorry this is long, but I'd love to hear from those who have traveled this road before.

#2 of 22 Old 12-29-2011, 03:35 PM

I don't have much advice for you, but wow, it wasn't that hard for us to get the birth certificates for our twins.  The lady that sent us the paperwork and everything was super helpful and we got it done no problem.  All I had to do was send in sheets with proof of pregnancy.  I also sent in some sheets from their pediatrician and I think I had maybe my mom fill out an affidavit that she was a "witness."

#3 of 22 Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 PM

So sorry! We didn't get out son's SSN til he was over two b/c we waited til he was nearly a yr to file and then the SS office lost it!!

#4 of 22 Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

In my state you just order a home birth packet before the birth fill it out afterward and send it in. The midwife doesn't do any of the BC paperwork. I also send in proof of pregnancy, a doctor's name and address who has seen the baby(after we take baby in for check up) and proof of residency(like a utility bill).

Home birth midwives are not licensed here so according to the paperwork my husband has caught our babies.

#5 of 22 Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's been super frustrating.  Still waiting to find out if the insurance company will accept what we have right now.  Has anyone else in San Diego had this problem with a UC?

#6 of 22 Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 AM

Yah, Minnesota just has a packet that the health dept. sends out to you. sorry you have had such a terrible time with it.

I haven't known of a MW ever to be willing to be the paper pusher...so good luck with that!

lady.gifLady to my Fellaheartbeat.gif fuzmalesling.gif, knit.gifMama to my Babies: babygirl.gifDD-10 (Hospital), babygirl.gifDD-7 (UC), babyboy.gifDS-4 (UC), babyboy.gifDS-newborn 9/2/12 (UC)

#7 of 22 Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM

CA does have a HB packet, but they still require confirmation of pregnancy from a medical professional.  If you were seen at any point in pregnancy by an MD, MW, NP, RN or anyone else with letters behind their name (chiro?  DO? etc?), they can write a letter stating you were pregnant on such and such a date. 

The letter I got from my MW included the info on the actual birth itself, but supposedly confirmation of pregnancy and a letter from the ped (or other medical professional who has seen the baby) is all you need for a UC.  WIthout that though, yes, you have to jump through hoops. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 22 Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

I tried doing the homebirth packet since I had everything they wanted including proof of pregnancy, his first well-baby appt papers, proof of residency and even witness statements.  But when I called the Office of Vital Records/Statistics, they told me that without medical documentation of the actual birth, whether from a doctor, midwife or paramedic, I had to go through the courts.  And then, because I got the court order, I have to file it as a delayed registration of birth, even though he is only 8 weeks old at this point, and send it to Sacramento.  I have heard that San Diego is a little more strict than the rest of the state (they don't even use the same paperwork you can find online for OOH births) and if anyone has done a UC in San Diego, I would love to hear how it went getting the birth certificate, cuz I feel about ready to tear out my hair with all the runaround we've been given.

#9 of 22 Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 AM

I didn't have a UC but I have had 2 home births in San Diego. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time, but from the research I did, I don't think you are getting the runaround. You do have to go through the courts to get a birth certificate. San Diego is different than the rest of the state, I believe, simply because we are right next to the border of Mexico.

What I am really surprised about is how hard it is to get your LO added to your insurance. All I had to do was call my insurance company within 30 days of the birth to tell them we had a new baby to be added to our policy.

As for midwives, just call around and ask. There are a ton of hb midwives in San Diego so you might find one who would be willing to come over after the birth to help you with the paperwork. But you would also probably have to see them at least once prenatally.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#10 of 22 Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM

I am planning a UC for our first child, so I don't have any actual experience to share with you. I live in San Diego as well. I was surprised to hear that they're giving you such a hard time with this. I found this packet online:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/Out-of-Hospital%20Birth%20Package.pdf

(Sorry, I'm not sure if the above link will work correctly. If not, try this one: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/Out-of-Hospital Birth Package.pdf)

The packet is straight from the CA Department of Public Health, so I assumed that it would apply to the entire state of California, including San Diego.

I also found the following information on the San Diego County Office of Vital Records website:

"OUT-OF-HOSPITAL BIRTHS: We register these births by APPOINTMENT ONLY after the baby is born. Our birth registration staff interviews physicians, mid-wives, or parent(s) and witness(es). The parent(s) must provide verification of pregnancy, residence, identity and medical information. The verifications are reviewed for completeness. When statements or verifications are incomplete, inconsistent, or questionable, further investigation is necessary. The birth registration personnel either registers the birth or denies registration. If birth registration is denied, the parent(s) are referred to the court or are given delayed birth registration procedures and instructions. You may call our office at (619) 692-5733 to have an Out-of-Hospital Birth Certificate Registration Packet sent to your home."

(Here's the website: http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/hhsa/programs/phs/office_of_vital_records_and_statistics/)

It seems as if you had everything required, so to me it does seem like they are giving you the run-around. I know it's a PITA, but if I was having the issues that you are having, I would try calling back and speaking with someone else. Just because they work there doesn't mean they fully understand the process, especially with something as uncommon as UC. I would call the number listed above and get the packet mailed to you. Make sure you have every single thing you need, according to the document. Then keep calling back until you can get someone more knowledgeable who's willing to set the appointment for you. I don't see how they can argue with you if you have everything their packet says is required.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck for next time!

#11 of 22 Old 02-23-2012, 08:55 AM

I am planning a UC for our first child, so I don't have any actual experience to share with you. I live in San Diego as well. I was surprised to hear that they're giving you such a hard time with this. I found this packet online:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/Out-of-Hospital%20Birth%20Package.pdf

(Sorry, I'm not sure if the above link will work correctly. If not, try this one: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/Out-of-Hospital Birth Package.pdf)

The packet is straight from the CA Department of Public Health, so I assumed that it would apply to the entire state of California, including San Diego.

I also found the following information on the San Diego County Office of Vital Records website:

"OUT-OF-HOSPITAL BIRTHS: We register these births by APPOINTMENT ONLY after the baby is born. Our birth registration staff interviews physicians, mid-wives, or parent(s) and witness(es). The parent(s) must provide verification of pregnancy, residence, identity and medical information. The verifications are reviewed for completeness. When statements or verifications are incomplete, inconsistent, or questionable, further investigation is necessary. The birth registration personnel either registers the birth or denies registration. If birth registration is denied, the parent(s) are referred to the court or are given delayed birth registration procedures and instructions. You may call our office at (619) 692-5733 to have an Out-of-Hospital Birth Certificate Registration Packet sent to your home."

(Here's the website: http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/hhsa/programs/phs/office_of_vital_records_and_statistics/)

It seems as if you had everything required, so to me it does seem like they are giving you the run-around. I know it's a PITA, but if I was having the issues that you are having, I would try calling back and speaking with someone else. Just because they work there doesn't mean they fully understand the process, especially with something as uncommon as UC. I would call the number listed above and get the packet mailed to you. Make sure you have every single thing you need, according to the document. Then keep calling back until you can get someone more knowledgeable who's willing to set the appointment for you. I don't see how they can argue with you if you have everything their packet says is required.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck for next time!

#12 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 05:41 AM

Ugh, you just reminded me about needing proof of pregnancy. Hmm...

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#13 of 22 Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 AM

WOW! I am so sorry you are going through this. What an ordeal! I thought every state was as easy as mine. I thought wrong.

I'm in Hawaii and when I got my daughter's SSC and birth certificate, it took me about twenty minutes. I took her with me to the Department of Health two weeks after she was born. I had to give them proof of pregnancy (they accepted my WIC paperwork, but if you are not on WIC you can just go to any clinic and request a proof of pregnancy - I did not have a doctor), my ID and a signed statement from my husband (could have been anyone) saying that he witnessed the birth. It was so easy and the lady that worked there even held my baby for me and cooed happily over her while I filled out the two forms. I had her birth certificate in my hands within minutes and her SSC was mailed to me two weeks later. I think I paid $10 for it.

So sorry. :( I wish every state were that easy.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#14 of 22 Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

@Rita82, When I called the vital records office here in San Diego and told them I had already downloaded the packet, they told me that it was the wrong one and that they had to send me the right one.  They sent me out a packet then when I called with some questions about filling it out, and mentioned that there was no medical record of the birth - and this means no midwife, no doctor, and no paramedics who witnessed the birth or came right after, I would have to file a petition with the courts.  This cost $225 to file the petition and we had to go before a judge to present our case.  The judge granted it the second time we went (he wanted a witness statement other than my husband - luckily we had two visitors the day the baby was born and he accepted that) and we got a court order establishing fact of birth.  This form we were told at the court we could just take to vital records, but then vital records said we had to mail it in to Sacramento with another fee ($20 filing and first copy, $16 each additional copy) and wait for them to mail it back which took about 6 weeks.

Personally, for San Diego (which is different than all other counties) I would recommend calling vital records and having them mail you the out-of-hospital birth packet ahead of time.  But again, they will not even see you unless you have a medical professional sign off on the birth.  If you don't have a medical record of the birth, I've linked the forms you'll need to file a petition.  For the declarations, they want people who knew you were pregnant and who saw the baby soon after it was born.  They will also want proof of pregnancy, proof of residency and proof that the baby was born (ie, the baby). 

Facebook is not considered evidence (I asked simply because we had posted right after he was born with a picture and it tags your location too) and when they ask for your appearance, they don't want to know what you're wearing, but for you to state your name for the record (what can I say?  It was my first time going to court, ever!Sheepish.gif)

If all else fails, just remember that if you and/or your spouse is an American citizen, your children are automatically afforded the same right, regardless of where they were born. (That was the point the judge made at the first hearing as to why they wanted more witness statements)  So as long as you're not planning on encouraging your child to become president, it should be a non-issue.

Good luck to everyone else planning a UC is San Diego.  We plan on doing it with our next one, even though the paperwork has been a bit of a nightmare, at least we know what to expect.  We're just planning on calling a friend of ours who is a doctor to come over after the baby is born and bribing him with cookies. winky.gif

http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/SDCOURT/GENERALINFORMATION/FORMS/PROBATEFORMS/PR142_RE.PDF

http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/SDCOURT/GENERALINFORMATION/FORMS/PROBATEFORMS/PR143_RE.PDF

#15 of 22 Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM

I know this thread is a few months old, but I have some questions about your experience:

1) When you went in front of the judge, how did he treat you, knowing that you had a UC? (Or did you tell him it was an "oops" UC?) I'm afraid the judge will get CPS involved or something.

2) I assume you were finally able to add the baby to your health insurance. How did that go?

I'm not very far along yet (only 7 weeks), but I requested the packet like you said and it's pretty clear I'm going to have to pay the $225 to petition the court, simply because my husband will be the only witness and I don't plan to transfer to a hospital afterwards. The thing is, I also don't want to have any visitors right after the birth. I was going to have my mom come over the next day, but that's it. So I'm wondering if I will have enough "evidence" to satisfy the judge. Do you think they would accept a video or pictures of the birth? I refuse to give the court anything too graphic, like a view of the baby crowning. But I'd be willing to show a video of me in a birth pool lifting the baby out of the water with the cord still attached. What happens if the judge says no and I never get a birth certificate for the baby? Did the judge talk about that?

This is so frustrating...

#16 of 22 Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

@Rita82,

To your first question, we didn't have any issues with the judge questioning our choice.  Of course he has time to review the case, but you don't have to provide any reasons why you didn't have medical assistance.  He did seem surprised (and I vaguely remember the court reporter making a surprised sound as well) when we told them we didn't have a midwife and didn't call the paramedics, but no, they didn't give us any grief about it.  In fact, the second judge we went before (he was subbing that day) seemed kind of happy to be granting our petition.

As to your second question, insurance was a pain.  We have Aetna through my work and they give you sixty days from the day of birth to get the paperwork to them.  I was able to work it with the court order from the judge, prior to getting the birth certificate, but I also had to call in and explain everything because they dropped his coverage on January 1st.  He was born on Nov. 9th, which was during open enrollment, so I added him then, and should have had 60 days, but with OE you have until the end of the year, so it was more a misunderstanding than anything else.  I would highly recommend calling your insurance provider to find out what proof they need to add the baby.  Like I said, mine took the court order but I still had to work it out with them over the phone, and then get them the copy of the BC and the social as soon as we got them.

As far as evidence for the judge, your idea for the video sounds similar to what we plan for our next one, but we were also going to make sure the video has geolocation and after taping the baby alive, my husband plans to walk the camera outside for a nice shot of the house and the street signs on the corner where we live.  It could get more complicated than that, but technically the second judge we saw granted our petition solely on my husband's witness statement (we had brought the other ones from the people that had visited that day, but he didn't ask for them).  My best advice is to have your petition ready to be filed as soon as the baby is born and also make sure you get the priority processing form for when the judge does grant your petition.  That will get you the court order within two days.

Here's our official timeline for all the paperwork:

Nov 9: Caius is born

Dec 8: File petition

Dec 14: 1st Court date

Dec 21: 2nd Court date

Dec 23: Picked up court order

Jan 2: Copy of Court Order for Insurance

Jan 5: Mailed to Sacramento

~Feb 22: Received BC (husband went to SSA that day, but BC was not on file)

1st week in April: Received SSN

The gap between the birth and filing the petition is because we still thought at that point we could go through the vital records office.  Oh, and when you get the court order, they may tell you at the court to take it to vital records.  This is not correct.  You have to mail the court order to Sacramento as a "delayed registration of birth".  Hopefully this wasn't too overwhelming.  It seems like a lot, and it was frustrating at times, but my husband and I have decided that it's a small price to pay and will be having all subsequent children the same way.

Good luck!

#17 of 22 Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 AM

Thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it! I just can't believe how many hoops we have to jump through, especially compared to other cities and states. I guess I will just gather as much "proof" as I can and hopefully I won't end up needing all of it. That's a good idea about walking outside with the video camera to show your location. Hopefully in the excitement of everything we won't forget.

#18 of 22 Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 PM

I arrived in California 6 weeks before giving birth at home UC. I had a proof of pregnancy from a german midwife.

I could not get a birthcertificate because they wouldn't take my proof of pregnancy.  Two years later we had another UC but this time I went and got a proof of pregnancy at a pregnancy resource clinic.  I have a california bc for this baby but not the first.  I filed paperwork and an affidavit, etc. They would not grant me a birthcertificate because there are too many people filing falsely.  I was in Northern California near Sacramento.  They said my only option was to go to court but by that time we were moving out of state. It was very upsetting and now I live across the country and do not know what I should do. 

#19 of 22 Old 06-29-2012, 10:46 AM

Darn identity theft!  Sorry its such a pain for y'all.  I don't know what I'll do if I end up with a UBAC, but I think I might call CNN or some local news network and get them to do a story on me.  Then the judge will probably already have heard about baby and we'll all be good be!  :)  Yes its a little wild but in this day and age anything on tv is practically gospel to many, so why not?  Bonus, it would be a vastly entertaining story to tell the baby when they grow up.  Downside, someone in the family would hear about it and disown me for sure.  There's probably a happy medium between months of paperwork and forever being "the oops mama."

#20 of 22 Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 AM

A quick question for people who have done this before (IN SAN DIEGO): 

I had my baby in April. After a nightmare of paperwork and phone calls (the women working at the San Diego County Office of Vital Statistics is a WITCH!) we went to Probate court in July to Establish the Fact of Birth. The court date went great! The judge was super nice and all he really needed was the medical records that we got when we took our baby in to the hospital for her newborn screening tests; since it said she was less than 96 hours old, he just signed our petition!

So, now we have the petition...what now? I'm supposed to mail it to Sacramento? With what? Where? I tried calling, but got no answer. I called the witch in the San Diego County Office of Vital Statistics  and she actually yelled at me over the phone, demanding why I went to Probate court, when I should have gone to Superior Court. She keeps saying the packet they mail to you has all this information in it, it most certainly did not! But she won't give me any other information, she just keeps saying (exasperatedly, like I am the dumbest person she has ever talked with) that it's all in the packet. Which it wasn't. 

I'm a little stumped. Any suggestions? 

Happy mama to two homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg DD's
#21 of 22 Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Once your petition is granted, it needs to be filed with the probate court and they'll give you a court order establishing fact of birth.  Once you have this, you mail it in to Sacramento.  Here's the link:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/CHS-CourtOrderDelayedBirthPamphlet-2009-06-Merged.pdf

The lady at Vital Statistics was not necessarily wrong about filing with the Superior Court, but it also says you can file with the court in the county where the birth took place.  Hope that helps!

#22 of 22 Old 08-10-2013, 02:26 AM

Can you go up there and actually see her? It's easy for her to abuse you over the phone. Not so much to your face. Bring the packet and ask her to show you where the info is. Just be sweet and ask for help and since you're right there in front of her and she can't write you off, she'll have to get it done instead of just making you run in more circles.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page