Has anybody with Diabetes on insulin ever U/C???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 38 Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
 
tylersmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Eaton NY
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is baby 7 for me. All hospital births and the last baby my birth was a nightmare. I cant find a MW that will do a HB with me cause I'm a diabetic on a insulin pump. But we really want a HB. So our only option is to go U/C. I'm due 8/5/12 so we have lots of time to think about this. I really don't want to deliver at the hospital i had my last baby at cause of the manner we were treated, and hospital policy of babies born to diabetic moms. Can i get so opinions from you ladies to help me with our decision?


Tracy momma to an angel DD 9/3/96angel3.gif DS 9/5/97 DS 8/11/98 DS 7/2/09 and DS 12/9/10 and due for  baby #6 in July 2012 stork-suprise.gifIm a breastfeeding mommabfinfant.gif married to my DH for 4 yrs

tylersmomma is offline  
#2 of 38 Old 12-29-2011, 08:41 PM
 
Tzipporah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DC area
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't pretend to say I have personal experience with this, but I will say that diabetes is generally considered high-risk by most care-providers for a reason.

 

I'm not all against UC, either. I've had one and I have a few health problems myself, but nothing I wasn't sure I could control reasonably well. (well as much as you can be sure of anything). Is this something you feel you could have reasonable control over without the assistance of a midwife or OB?

 

Have you considered a birthing center? It's way better than a hospital, and more in many midwive's comfort zone regarding things like diabetes.

 

My only caution would be this--choosing a UC be because you believe in it, not simply because you want to avoid a hospital. I would give it some time, do some soul searching and exploring around the forums and so forth to see what it is you really want. You gotta little time yet ;)

Tzipporah is offline  
#3 of 38 Old 12-30-2011, 09:48 PM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersmomma View Post

This is baby 7 for me. All hospital births and the last baby my birth was a nightmare. I cant find a MW that will do a HB with me cause I'm a diabetic on a insulin pump. But we really want a HB. So our only option is to go U/C. I'm due 8/5/12 so we have lots of time to think about this. I really don't want to deliver at the hospital i had my last baby at cause of the manner we were treated, and hospital policy of babies born to diabetic moms. Can i get so opinions from you ladies to help me with our decision?



Please don't UC.  I don't feel like getting into ti, I am just hoping to bump this thread so someone with more patience than me can respond.  Are you Type 1/Juvenile?  really - what does your endocrinolgist say about this?  there is a very high mortality risk for babies of diabetic moms.  Your only option isn't to go uc.  You could suck it up and have a hospital birth and a baby in your arms at the end of it all.

 

Kelly1101 likes this.
swede is offline  
#4 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 AM
 
AlexisT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzipporah View Post

Have you considered a birthing center? It's way better than a hospital, and more in many midwive's comfort zone regarding things like diabetes.

 

IDDM mothers may be risked out of birth centers because of the issues with managing glucose/insulin in labor. BCs rarely have much more equipment than home, and many midwives will not handle insulin dependents at all (or if they do, will only do so in consultation with maternal-fetal medicine).


DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

AlexisT is offline  
#5 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 AM
~pi
 
~pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't usually post in UC but I am type 1 on a pump and saw your post. I'm very sorry you had a rough time with your last baby.

 

I would not UC. Even with excellent control, there are still additional risks that could be very difficult to manage on your own. (Shoulder dystocia, for example, is significantly more likely.)

 

Other ideas for you that might help you avoid the problems you had last time:

 

1) New hospital. I had a difficult hospital birth with my first. For my second, I switched hospitals and had an experience that was way, way better. Until I had my second, I had always felt a little wistful that I wasn't eligible for home birth, but having a good hospital birth totally erased that feeling. I am still thrilled about how well everything went and how great everyone was.

 

2) Do you have or can you get a CGM? I had a CGM for my second pregnancy and it helped me maintain even better control than the first time. Having absolutely gorgeous numbers throughout the pregnancy made everyone at the hospital much more relaxed. It may also have helped my baby have great blood sugars after birth, so he never needed to leave my arms.

 

3) Can you hire a doula? I didn't have a doula the first time, but did the second, and she was very helpful.

 

4) If policies are the issue, can you consult with your specialists and/or neonatologists about which parts of the policies have wiggle room? Some hospital policies haven't caught up with evidence yet, so you might be able to get physician support for things like keeping the baby with you, staying on the pump during labor, etc. (I don't know what, exactly, created problems for you last time, but those are common issues.)

 

Hugs to you. It is tough to be in a high risk situation when you favor a low intervention approach, but, at least in my experience, it is possible to find a middle ground.

olive&pimiento, AlexisT and swede like this.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

~pi is offline  
#6 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 07:41 AM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

I don't usually post in UC but I am type 1 on a pump and saw your post. I'm very sorry you had a rough time with your last baby.

 

I would not UC. Even with excellent control, there are still additional risks that could be very difficult to manage on your own. (Shoulder dystocia, for example, is significantly more likely.)

 

Other ideas for you that might help you avoid the problems you had last time:

 

1) New hospital. I had a difficult hospital birth with my first. For my second, I switched hospitals and had an experience that was way, way better. Until I had my second, I had always felt a little wistful that I wasn't eligible for home birth, but having a good hospital birth totally erased that feeling. I am still thrilled about how well everything went and how great everyone was.

 

2) Do you have or can you get a CGM? I had a CGM for my second pregnancy and it helped me maintain even better control than the first time. Having absolutely gorgeous numbers throughout the pregnancy made everyone at the hospital much more relaxed. It may also have helped my baby have great blood sugars after birth, so he never needed to leave my arms.

 

3) Can you hire a doula? I didn't have a doula the first time, but did the second, and she was very helpful.

 

4) If policies are the issue, can you consult with your specialists and/or neonatologists about which parts of the policies have wiggle room? Some hospital policies haven't caught up with evidence yet, so you might be able to get physician support for things like keeping the baby with you, staying on the pump during labor, etc. (I don't know what, exactly, created problems for you last time, but those are common issues.)

 

Hugs to you. It is tough to be in a high risk situation when you favor a low intervention approach, but, at least in my experience, it is possible to find a middle ground.




This is excellent input.

 

In response to the op's questions - NO.  I am T1 on an insulin pump, and I would never attempt UC.  I wanted a live baby at the end of my pregnancy.

swede is offline  
#7 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
 
tylersmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Eaton NY
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

im T2 aqnd my 2 insulin babies were 7lbs6ozs and 7lbs10ozs so i just dont grow big babies.


Tracy momma to an angel DD 9/3/96angel3.gif DS 9/5/97 DS 8/11/98 DS 7/2/09 and DS 12/9/10 and due for  baby #6 in July 2012 stork-suprise.gifIm a breastfeeding mommabfinfant.gif married to my DH for 4 yrs

tylersmomma is offline  
#8 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 10:11 AM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersmomma View Post

im T2 aqnd my 2 insulin babies were 7lbs6ozs and 7lbs10ozs so i just dont grow big babies.



My babies weren't either.  But there are other very possible complications with diabetic mothers.

swede is offline  
#9 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 10:14 AM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersmomma View Post

im T2 aqnd my 2 insulin babies were 7lbs6ozs and 7lbs10ozs so i just dont grow big babies.


Also, T2 on a pump probably means you're not managing your diabetes as well as possible.  Please do not go UC.  There are worse things in life than a hospital birth.

 

swede is offline  
#10 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 10:30 AM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would consider your history- you've been pregnant and birthed before.  How were your babies?  Large?  Average?  How was your control?  Did you have any BG issues during labor or after?  How has your control been this pregnancy (and compared to your others)?  What's your A1C like?  

 

Have you tried fighting back at hospital births? (sorry if that's a given, just worth asking)  Perhaps even going in with a lawyer letter stating what you do and do not consent to?

 

How far are you from a hospital in case of problems?

 

Good luck!

alegna is offline  
#11 of 38 Old 12-31-2011, 01:19 PM
 
AlexisT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Her history may not be entirely indicative because of how type 2 can progress. Were those insulin babies insulin for pregnancy only (switch from oral meds pre-preg), or had you been insulin dependent before? Were you pumping, or on injections? This makes a difference. If your disease has progressed and your need for insulin has increased since your previous pregnancies, your risks may be different too.

 

If you require a pump to deal with Type 2, you really, really need to be working closely with your endocrinologist. I would advise you to look for a better hospital and team.

swede likes this.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

AlexisT is offline  
#12 of 38 Old 01-01-2012, 04:49 AM
 
Spirit Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Honestly I would not automatically rule out a UC. This is babe #7 - how did your other births go- was there complications form your Diabetes? Since you still have a lot of time before the birth I would really research this a TON so you can make an informed decision. And comments about "Don't you want a live baby" - just ignore them. Good luck!

Spirit Dancer is offline  
#13 of 38 Old 01-01-2012, 05:53 PM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Dancer View Post

Honestly I would not automatically rule out a UC. This is babe #7 - how did your other births go- was there complications form your Diabetes? Since you still have a lot of time before the birth I would really research this a TON so you can make an informed decision. And comments about "Don't you want a live baby" - just ignore them. Good luck!

 

That's laughable.  WHy should she ignore "those" comments?  Spirit - do you haev diabetes??  I do.  Type 1 - Juvenile.  There are very real risks to the mother and the baby.  UC is for healthy moms and babies.  Diabetes (especially type 2 that requires the use of an insulin pump) indicates that mom is NOT healthy.
 

 

Kelly1101 likes this.
swede is offline  
#14 of 38 Old 01-01-2012, 06:30 PM
 
Perpetunia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have type 1 DM and use an insulin pump and had a UC last year. I would not recommend this for most people but it was the right decision for me. My blood sugars were extremely well controlled and I knew my baby was not big. I have wicked fast labors and knew that getting to the hospital in time would be challenging. I work in the medical field and felt fairly confident that I would recognize complications. I would have lived to have a birth center or home birth midwife but DM, even well controlled, risks you out.




WOHM to pinecone boy (7/07) and pinecone girl (7/10)
Perpetunia is offline  
#15 of 38 Old 01-01-2012, 08:15 PM
 
Spirit Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Swede- I do not wish to argue with you. Surely you can understand the problem of the so often played "dead baby" card. I truly believe every women should be able to decide for herself as she informs herself, where and with whom she wishes to give birth.

 

Tyler'smomma- According to this in the UK you can have a homebirth even if you have insulin dependant diabetes. Not that you live there but it can be very helpful to look at other countries policies on birth then just the US.

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/gd.htm

 

http://aims.org.uk/Journal/Vol12No4/diabetes.htm

 

 

 

 

Spirit Dancer is offline  
#16 of 38 Old 01-02-2012, 11:19 AM
 
AlexisT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That first page is a link on GESTATIONAL diabetes.

 

On the second, you need to know how the UK works. She forced them to do something they didn't want to. She was able to do this because in the UK, if you refuse to go to the hospital they have to send a midwife. I can tell you, having had my first on the NHS, that diabetics are officially risked into consultant care.


DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

AlexisT is offline  
#17 of 38 Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 PM
 
JynxGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

 

That's laughable.  WHy should she ignore "those" comments?  Spirit - do you haev diabetes??  I do.  Type 1 - Juvenile.  There are very real risks to the mother and the baby.  UC is for healthy moms and babies.  Diabetes (especially type 2 that requires the use of an insulin pump) indicates that mom is NOT healthy.
 

 


I'm a type 2 on an insulin pump and would really love for someone to tell me what these risks are. Because so far, all I get told is that diabetics have larger babies. I can't honestly see why this is such the nightmare situation that "requires" me to be induced three weeks early and have a C-section if I'm not delivered within 12 hours... (That's what I'm being told. Labor starts by pitocin, I'm strapped to fetal monitors and not allowed to get up, and then have 12 hours to deliver or I'm operated on...)

 

Honestly, I'm not being snarky, I really do want to know what the actual, life-threatening, going to deliver a dead baby risks are...

 


Momma to Alena 07-03 and 8 .angel.gifangel babies. Due with our second baby in May 2012!

lactivist.gif I'm a breastfeeding activist asl.gif, Sign Language vocab instructor, autismribbon.gif autism activist, cloth diapering, attachment parenting momma!

JynxGirl is offline  
#18 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM
 
AlexisT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Increased risk of stillbirth, miscarriage, and birth defects, and this is correlated to BGLs; this is why tight control is emphasized preconception. A lot of the information on diabetes in pregnancy is about GDM, which only occurs later in pregnancy and doesn't have the same risks.

 

Possibly preeclampsia. Diabetes is always listed as a risk factor, but I don't know if they've separated out risks for T2 and T1 (T1 is a risk because it's an autoimmune disorder). OTOH, type 2 can cause vascular damage and type 2 diabetics may also have chronic hypertension, a BIG risk factor for PE.


DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

AlexisT is offline  
#19 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM
 
JynxGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

Increased risk of stillbirth, miscarriage, and birth defects, and this is correlated to BGLs; this is why tight control is emphasized preconception. A lot of the information on diabetes in pregnancy is about GDM, which only occurs later in pregnancy and doesn't have the same risks.

 

Possibly preeclampsia. Diabetes is always listed as a risk factor, but I don't know if they've separated out risks for T2 and T1 (T1 is a risk because it's an autoimmune disorder). OTOH, type 2 can cause vascular damage and type 2 diabetics may also have chronic hypertension, a BIG risk factor for PE.

Short of a stillbirth, all of these things would be ruled out by ultrasound before birth. And preeclampsia wouldn't be undiscovered before birth either.

 

I guess where I'm failing to see the issue with UC for a diabetic mother (namely myself...) is that my control is crazy good, especially with the pump, and therefore, my risks should be minimized. I'm not saying there isn't a risk. I'm saying that treating me like I'm a heart patient mother while I'm in labor isn't what's best for my baby or for me. 

 

Edit: Thank you. :) This is the first answer other than "A big baby" that I've gotten.

 

 


Momma to Alena 07-03 and 8 .angel.gifangel babies. Due with our second baby in May 2012!

lactivist.gif I'm a breastfeeding activist asl.gif, Sign Language vocab instructor, autismribbon.gif autism activist, cloth diapering, attachment parenting momma!

JynxGirl is offline  
#20 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 PM
 
Buzzbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Found this study:

 

Participants 323 women with type 1 diabetes who became pregnant between 1 April 1999 and 1 April 2000.

Main outcome measures Maternal, perinatal, and neonatal outcomes of pregnancy.

Results 84% (n = 271) of the pregnancies were planned. Glycaemic control early in pregnancy was good in most women (HbA1c  7.0% in 75% (n = 212) of the population), and folic acid supplementation was adequate in 70% (n = 226). 314 pregnancies that went beyond 24 weeks' gestation resulted in 324 infants. The rates of pre-eclampsia (40; 12.7%), preterm delivery (101; 32.2%), caesarean section (139; 44.3%), maternal mortality (2; 0.6%), congenital malformations (29; 8.8%), perinatal mortality (9; 2.8%), and macrosomia (146; 45.1%) were considerably higher than in the general population. Neonatal morbidity (one or more complications) was extremely high (260; 80.2%). The incidence of major congenital malformations was significantly lower in planned pregnancies than in unplanned pregnancies (4.2% (n = 11) v 12.2% (n = 6); relative risk 0.34, 95% confidence interval 0.13 to 0.88).

Conclusion Despite a high frequency of planned pregnancies, resulting in overall good glycaemic control (early) in pregnancy and a high rate of adequate use of folic acid, maternal and perinatal complications were still increased in women with type 1 diabetes. Neonatal morbidity, especially hypoglycaemia, was also extremely high. Near optimal maternal glycaemic control (HbA1c  7.0%) apparently is not good enough


I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

Buzzbuzz is offline  
#21 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 PM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by JynxGirl View Post

Short of a stillbirth, all of these things would be ruled out by ultrasound before birth. And preeclampsia wouldn't be undiscovered before birth either.

 

I guess where I'm failing to see the issue with UC for a diabetic mother (namely myself...) is that my control is crazy good, especially with the pump, and therefore, my risks should be minimized. I'm not saying there isn't a risk. I'm saying that treating me like I'm a heart patient mother while I'm in labor isn't what's best for my baby or for me. 

 

Edit: Thank you. :) This is the first answer other than "A big baby" that I've gotten.

 

 

It's not just the birth, it's the immediate post partum period, as well.  My blood sugars dropped pretty rapidly following birth.

 

You asked - people answered.  Most people are not going to think it's a good idea.  Like it or not, you have a pretty serious disease.  Good luck.
 

 

swede is offline  
#22 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
tylersmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Eaton NY
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

but that was for type 1 and a few of us are type 2


Tracy momma to an angel DD 9/3/96angel3.gif DS 9/5/97 DS 8/11/98 DS 7/2/09 and DS 12/9/10 and due for  baby #6 in July 2012 stork-suprise.gifIm a breastfeeding mommabfinfant.gif married to my DH for 4 yrs

tylersmomma is offline  
#23 of 38 Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 AM
 
RobynHeud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Whether you decide to go hospital or home, one of the important things to remember is to delay cutting the cord and breastfeed as soon as possible.  Both of these things will allow the baby's insulin and sugars to adjust to their own levels.  When my mother-in-law was pregnant with my husband, he was a big baby and the first thing they did when he was born was cut the cord.  His sugars crashed because his insulin was still riding high and they had to rush him to the NICU.  And as far as the study that was cited by BuzzBuzz, it makes me wonder how many of those complications are caused by "standard hospital procedures" such as cutting the cord too soon, not permitting skin-to-skin contact or immediate breastfeeding.  I'm not saying these are cure-alls, but I feel like when a pregnant woman has diabetes, whether it's gestational, T1, T2, insulin dependent or not, it's assumed that everything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and in their rush to prevent these things from happening, sometimes they're the ones causing them.  If you're being rushed to push out a baby and not being permitted to choose your position but lay flat on your back, it severely increases the chances of shoulder dystocia, yet this is constantly touted as the "safe" thing to do.  I agree with other posters.  Really take the time to review your past pregnancies and think about what you are most comfortable with.  If you decide to go to the hospital, make it a point to review with your doctor, and whoever else might be attending your birth, exactly what you expect.  It doesn't have to be a lengthy list, but simple things like freedom of movement, intermittent fetal monitoring, and delayed cord clamping.  It also might be helpful to research studies that show favorable outcomes for mother and baby and what they did to achieve those results.  Just remember, you need to do what is best for the baby and yourself, not anybody else.

RobynHeud is offline  
#24 of 38 Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 AM
 
RobynHeud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Whether you decide to go hospital or home, one of the important things to remember is to delay cutting the cord and breastfeed as soon as possible.  Both of these things will allow the baby's insulin and sugars to adjust to their own levels.  When my mother-in-law was pregnant with my husband, he was a big baby and the first thing they did when he was born was cut the cord.  His sugars crashed because his insulin was still riding high and they had to rush him to the NICU.  And as far as the study that was cited by BuzzBuzz, it makes me wonder how many of those complications are caused by "standard hospital procedures" such as cutting the cord too soon, not permitting skin-to-skin contact or immediate breastfeeding.  I'm not saying these are cure-alls, but I feel like when a pregnant woman has diabetes, whether it's gestational, T1, T2, insulin dependent or not, it's assumed that everything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and in their rush to prevent these things from happening, sometimes they're the ones causing them.  If you're being rushed to push out a baby and not being permitted to choose your position but lay flat on your back, it severely increases the chances of shoulder dystocia, yet this is constantly touted as the "safe" thing to do.  I agree with other posters.  Really take the time to review your past pregnancies and think about what you are most comfortable with.  If you decide to go to the hospital, make it a point to review with your doctor, and whoever else might be attending your birth, exactly what you expect.  It doesn't have to be a lengthy list, but simple things like freedom of movement, intermittent fetal monitoring, and delayed cord clamping.  It also might be helpful to research studies that show favorable outcomes for mother and baby and what they did to achieve those results.  Just remember, you need to do what is best for the baby and yourself, not anybody else.

RobynHeud is offline  
#25 of 38 Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 AM
 
swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersmomma View Post

but that was for type 1 and a few of us are type 2



You're on insulin - it sounds like your pancreas doesn't work.  Not much difference between you and a type 1 at this point. 

 

It sounds like you just wanted people to confirm your choice.  The answer to your OP "Anybody with diabetes on insulin ever UC", is NO. 

 

Good luck.

swede is offline  
#26 of 38 Old 01-08-2012, 07:42 PM
 
Spirit Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would try looking for info from other sources. You got some here but overall I find this board not always the most UC supportive- though it is good to get varying views. For example one thing you could try is contacting Laura Shanley and asking if she has any info/ stories of insulin dependant moms UCing. Sometimes it can be hard to find info for one side of something but I think you will find it worth do you can make your own informed decision. Whatever you do Good luck!

Spirit Dancer is offline  
#27 of 38 Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 AM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post



You're on insulin - it sounds like your pancreas doesn't work.  Not much difference between you and a type 1 at this point. 

 

It sounds like you just wanted people to confirm your choice.  The answer to your OP "Anybody with diabetes on insulin ever UC", is NO. 

 

Good luck.


This is not necessarily true.  Type 2s often need MORE insulin than "normal" due to insulin resistance.  And Type 2s don't have the auto immune issues that type 1s do.  It's a different creature in every way.  So just because she needs insulin does NOT mean that her pancreas is not producing insulin.

 

alegna is offline  
#28 of 38 Old 01-10-2012, 11:57 AM
 
JynxGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post


This is not necessarily true.  Type 2s often need MORE insulin than "normal" due to insulin resistance.  And Type 2s don't have the auto immune issues that type 1s do.  It's a different creature in every way.  So just because she needs insulin does NOT mean that her pancreas is not producing insulin.

 



Thank you! We've had a bit of a hectic week and I forgot to check back here.

 

Type 2s on insulin are a way different creature than Type 1s. Right now, I'm going through almost 300 units of Humalog through my pump every day. As annoying as that gets, I prefer refilling a cartridge to 8 shots a day, which is what I was at when I got pregnant. As far as I know, and will confirm after this little guy is born, I have type 2 diabetes. I'm waiting to find out if I have LADA, which is a whole nother ball of wax...  (For those who aren't aware, it's a form of diabetes being refered to as type 1.5 because it has the autoimmune portions of type 1 and the insulin resistance portion of type 2.)

 

My diabetes is in control because of my pump and insulin regimen, not out of control because I've got to use one. My pancreas still produces insulin. It's the rest of my body that has a hard time absorbing and using it effectively. 

 


Momma to Alena 07-03 and 8 .angel.gifangel babies. Due with our second baby in May 2012!

lactivist.gif I'm a breastfeeding activist asl.gif, Sign Language vocab instructor, autismribbon.gif autism activist, cloth diapering, attachment parenting momma!

JynxGirl is offline  
#29 of 38 Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Holy cow that's a lot of insulin!  lol  I have a type 1 friend who just had a baby and she was "all the way up to" 120 units/day when she had him.

alegna is offline  
#30 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 AM
 
JynxGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

Holy cow that's a lot of insulin!  lol  I have a type 1 friend who just had a baby and she was "all the way up to" 120 units/day when she had him.



It really is, and apparently isn't the most insulin my doctor's ever seen while someone is pregnant. Apparently the most he's ever see was a woman who needed around 700 units a day, and was still having trouble controlling her sugars.

 

I'm really hoping that my diabetes goes back to what it was before my last (lost) pregnancy in March and April. You know, where I could pretty much just eat whatever I wanted and my body adapted perfectly to it...My family doctor said I was pretty much non-diabetic back then, and then all of a sudden, I am "really really diabetic" (his words)

 

It's funny, I've had to learn a lot in the last few months (I'm 21 weeks pregnant tomorrow) and the more I learn about diabetes, the more frustrating a disease it becomes.


Momma to Alena 07-03 and 8 .angel.gifangel babies. Due with our second baby in May 2012!

lactivist.gif I'm a breastfeeding activist asl.gif, Sign Language vocab instructor, autismribbon.gif autism activist, cloth diapering, attachment parenting momma!

JynxGirl is offline  
Reply

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off