Finding a midwife to support UP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Due to some financial constraints and hoping to spend the $ where they are the most useful during my pregnancy birth DH and I are considering having a UP.  I would love to use the midwives I had last night but perhaps only see them after 32 weeks.  I know some midwives will support UC, anyone had a midwife as backup for at UP? I'm willing to do some things such as email or phone check ins, send weight and measurements, etc...

Any advice or should we just wait until later in the pregnancy and then look for midwives?

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#2 of 5 Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM

So you just want a UP but will birth with that midwife? 

The midwives I know are pretty laid back but all of them have set fees based upon a package of prenatal care & birth. So if you see them at 6 weeks or 36 weeks, it's the same cost. I can't blame them, they need to pay their bills too and being on call for the birth makes them unavaliable to someone else. 

That said, I'll bet if you're just honest and say, "we have $__ for this birth" you might find they'll give you prenatals and birth for that price. 

Good luck!

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#3 of 5 Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 PM

or maybe a plan where you can pay off the amount slowly if at all possible? the first thing that comes to mind, is that the MW will be holding responsibility for your birth outcome, and most likely will want to do the pre-natals herself (to be absolutely sure) to ensure a healthy pregnancy before taking on a birth. so that she can estimate any risks/if any at all. 

#4 of 5 Old 01-03-2012, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've done a variation of this 3 times. I've paid, 1K, 2K, and 3,500. The majority of MWs will still charge the entire fee regardless of when you come to them although one MW once charged me 1K just to be on-call for the birth if case I wanted her. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 AM

Yeah, you might not be able to get the whole package for cheaper by having a UC, but most midwives don't care and/or don't judge you if you just call them right after the birth. :)

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page