So excited to UC! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm very newly pregnant and I'm planning a UC.  I've had two homebirths and due to the mismanagement of my second birth I've decided to fully embrace my body's ability to birth without any interventions.  I had a PPH due to the placenta being pulled out by the midwife right after DD was birthed.  I can still feel the sensation of it tearing out of my body, it makes me cringe, it was just so awful.  I had a prior birth and delivered the placenta not too long after he was born and it was not painful at all. 

That isn't going to happen again.  I know my body can birth and I know that I can pass my placenta without it being forced out of me like that. 

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Ouch! I can totally understand your desire to do it without another midwife this time around! I actually began really liking the idea of my UC as well specifically because I want to be relying on my own innate instincts (though a large part of me also relies of my Lord to guide me) rather than relying on someone else who cannot feel nor sense what I can about my own body. I'd read a few stories where the babes died because mom didn't transfer despite her natural instincts telling her to because a totally inadequate midwife insisted everything was fine and she should do what she said rather than follow what her body was telling her. Being that a woman is most vulnerable to persuasion while in labor it's best that she only has people around that support doing what SHE thinks is best.

Welcome to the UC club! Is your hubby on board with the UC? Have you thought about whether or not you want a water birth or land birth this time around? I've only had land births and was thinking and planning on a water birth but have decided against it for various reasons... I would LOVE to birth outside since it will be beautiful summer time here when the butterflies are out and it's cooling down, but, I'm a screamer, I'm sure the neighbors would flip and call some people : )

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

I tried a waterbirth with DS but I kept falling asleep in the birth pool and slipping down so I birthed on land.  I couldn't have a birth pool where I lived with DD but I did spend the majority of her labor in the shower.  I'm definitely getting a birth pool this time around. 

DH is on board which is really surprising.  He's fully supportive of homebirth and he understands my fears and lack of trust because he feels very similarly towards medical professionals.  We're both more comfortable with me receiving prenatal care, I don't think he'd be on board about a UP, that's for sure!

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

Old 01-19-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post

I'd read a few stories where the babes died because mom didn't transfer despite her natural instincts telling her to because a totally inadequate midwife insisted everything was fine and she should do what she said rather than follow what her body was telling her. 

I think I have read the same stories...was it on Hurt By Homebirth by any chance?  Pretty much all of those stories on there end in disaster not because of the place of birth, but because the women forget to take charge of their births and listen to their bodies.  Instead they hand everything over to the caregiver, who no doubt has to look out for herself as well.  In fact some of the stories were set at a birth center.  Another was where a couple had a wonderful homebirth but didn't bother to get the results of the mother's GBS test back.  They also didn't know what to look for for signs of infection in the baby.  Baby ended up dying because they got help too late.  Not because they had a homebirth.

Anyway it just goes to show that you need to listen to your body and take control of your birth - no matter where, how, or with whom you plan to birth.

Happy UC'ing!  My first birth (twins) was a planned UC and baby #3 (due in May) will be as well. :)

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth
User Tag List