Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Owen Gabriel Patrick

Born January 14th, 2012

2:40pm

8lbs 14oz

21 inches

Thursday, January 12, I woke in the morning with some mild contractions that ranged from 10-20 minutes apart.  With my two older boys, birth had come pretty quickly after the first contractions began so I figured the baby would be born that day.  The contractions stayed pretty much the same throughout the day so I decided it would probably happen that night and we had the kids picked up by my parents to spend the night.  I told them they would probably get to meet their brother in the morning!

Strangely, this labor decided to be very different than my others.  By the morning the baby still hadn't made an appearance but the contractions remained the same.  I continued to have prodromal labor all of Friday, through the night and into Saturday morning.  I was perplexed because I didn't think I labored this way.  My last birth was four hours from first contraction to baby.  It was tiring to be woken up in the night with contractions.  I hoped that the labor wouldn't be long in addition to these early contractions. 

I was unsure of when to actually start calling people since we had already had one "false alarm". Saturday morning when I woke up I lost my mucous plug and was very surprised.  This was also new to me, but it was quite obvious what it was.  Saturday around 1pm I started thinking that the contractions were getting stronger, although still spaced out.  I called my mom to come and get the boys and was glad I had.  She arrived at 2:10pm and by that point the contractions were taking some concentration on my part. We also called my midwife to update her.  Luckily, she was already in town and it wouldn't take her long to get here.  We told her to come, but that she didn't need to hurry quite yet. 

It turns out that those two days of mild contractions was really doing it's job!  The baby was low down and ready to go!  Heavier contractions started around 2:20pm and we called to let my midwife know she should come.  However, we called her during this strange break in my contractions (a small break before transition?) and I was even able to talk to her and it didn't sound quite as serious as it probably was.  I told her, "I don't know....you can probably come.  I'm doing fine right now though".  She said she would grab a coffee and come on over, but not hurry too much.

After speaking with my midwife it all came in a rush.  The contractions reached their peak and I was doing "horse lips"/"raspberries" in order to stay on top of them.  I felt an urge to push and instinctively went on my hands and knees on the bed.  I started to push a bit and my husband was urging me to relax because he heard my grunting noises.  It briefly crossed my mind to tell him that I was pushing, but then I guess I decided I was too busy.  It was then that my husband figured out that this was about to come really fast and he went to call my midwife again.  I told him to forget it and that it was too late, but he got her on the phone anyway. 

Then my midwife says she heard my husband say, "It's happening really fast!  I think you'd better hurry!  Oh! Baby's here!"  Click.  Right before he hung up my midwife heard me in the background saying, "Baby!  Oh baby!", as he was born.

The pushing phase had lasted only about five minutes or less from when I got on my hands and knees.  Since no one else was around helping me, I felt much more aware of the baby moving down and I reached down to feel the head.  Instead I think I felt the bag of waters, which hadn't ruptured yet.  It exploded all over my hand and then Owen just shot out all in one push.  He came out so fast that, although I was trying, I wasn't able to catch him and he just landed on the bed.  Seeing that that was probably rather startling, he started to cry right away.  I picked him up and my midwife ran in the door 20 seconds later.  She took care of us from that point. 

In a way, it was a strange birth to me with a lot of waiting at first and then he arrived so quickly once he decided to come. I would say that I only knew that it was truly labor at about 2pm and he was born at 2:40pm.  But it seems like a perfect birth at the same time.  I don't mind that the midwife missed it because everything went well and it was kind of nice to have it be so private. 

Welcome to the family, Owen!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#2 of 9 Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

The mental picture of him flying out and landing on the bed is awesome. Congrats mama and welcome Owen!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM

This post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

#4 of 9 Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 PM

Great story!  Enjoy your baby Owen!

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#5 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_mandala View Post

This post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

Has this post really been removed?  I can still see it.....and I'm confused as to why it would be removed.  Did I do something wrong?

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#6 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 PM

I think rainbow_mandala's post means she removed her own post. I don't see anything wrong with your original post. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#7 of 9 Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

I think rainbow_mandala's post means she removed her own post. I don't see anything wrong with your original post. 

Ooooh!  I get it :)  Thanks for clarifying!  I thought maybe I said something wrong there....

#8 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Congrats! How exciting, slipping right onto the bed. Good job momma. Does sound like a peaceful DIY.
#9 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 AM

Great story!! Congrats!

With my last one, his head was out and MW turned to grab something and he just fell out onto the bed with a gush and a thump lol!

Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and due with #6 3/2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page