5TH BIRTH 1ST UC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-07-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found out that i am pregnant with my 5th child and we decided to do a UC this time around. what are some things i might need to get to prepare for it and what will i need for the big day?! (im talking to those who have already had a UC)

#2 of 4 Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 PM

I would say, research, research, research.  Have all the supplies at hand, have an emergency childbirth manual at hand, know the ins and outs of what you would do in each situation, have back-up plans, keep records.  If you research everything beforehand, it will be sitting in the back of your mind if a situation should arise, and you'll be prepared for anything, and not panic.  Mentally walk yourself through what you would do in any sort of complication, step by step.  They say that passengers who survive emergency situations like plane crashes are most likely the ones that actually did look for the emergency exit signs before anything bad even happened. 

And... no.  I'm not in ANY way saying that a UC is a tragedy waiting to happen.  I had a wonderful UC and wouldn't have changed it for the world!  But for me, the only thing that actually freed my mind and body to do its job properly was not having to stress about anything.  I felt prepared and could get out of my head and into my body (where I needed to be).  I hope that makes sense!

Good luck and congrats!

#3 of 4 Old 02-09-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiqa View Post

I would say, research, research, research.  Have all the supplies at hand, have an emergency childbirth manual at hand, know the ins and outs of what you would do in each situation, have back-up plans, keep records.  If you research everything beforehand, it will be sitting in the back of your mind if a situation should arise, and you'll be prepared for anything, and not panic.  Mentally walk yourself through what you would do in any sort of complication, step by step.  They say that passengers who survive emergency situations like plane crashes are most likely the ones that actually did look for the emergency exit signs before anything bad even happened. 

And... no.  I'm not in ANY way saying that a UC is a tragedy waiting to happen.  I had a wonderful UC and wouldn't have changed it for the world!  But for me, the only thing that actually freed my mind and body to do its job properly was not having to stress about anything.  I felt prepared and could get out of my head and into my body (where I needed to be).  I hope that makes sense!

Good luck and congrats!

Agree with all of this!  Especially the last part.  I was totally in my body once labor hit me, not once did any fear or thinking about complications cross my mind.

#4 of 4 Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I have had two UCs and am likwise pg with my 5th child which will be my 3rd UC.

As others have said research! Knowledge is power! I personally think you should research all of the possible outcomes and print out info about them all and put them in an plastic covered folder.....so IF you need them, you don't have to question a thing...just pop the hand made book out and look it up. That is what I do, not that I have ever had to use the book...but it is comforting to know it is there! I don't buy birthing kits. I research what are birthing kits and then see what other people actually used and then buy individually accordingly. I find it is cheaper and more customized for my needs. There are always things I don't use in the the rubbermaid that I store them all in, but I like to have it there just in case.

First off you need to decide if you are having a water birth or a "dry" birth. If you are deciding on a water birth decide whether you want to labor in your bathtub, jacuzzi (if appilicable), or a birthing pool.
Either way you will want LOTS AND LOTS of towels! I have old black towels that I use for this.....but I don't suggest buying new colored towels as they will bleed out in warm water. I keep towels of all sizes around. And as I said A LOT of them! I don't really think you can have too many towels! I would put them on various achy parts of my body as well as after the fact with clean up.
If you plan to be not very close to the toilet and think you will need to use the restroom during labor, then I suggest you put plastic down over any carpet or towels over any hard surfaces to minimize the mess (especially if walking from birthing tub).

Here is a list (just from memory....I will have to find my actual list)- Also I sterilize everything that is not already sterilized.

-large rubber maid to hold all of the goodies
-towels towels and more towels (hand towels, bath towels, wash rags)
- music if you want it (I like it)
-candles if you want it (honestly....I don't even think about them when it comes down to time!)
-sterile scissors to cut cord ( I just bought new ones from craft store...and sterilzed them)
-something to tie off cord  (2 cords)(I personally use braided embroidery thread...although honestly....with the last two after I cut the cord I had to end up putting rubber bands on the stubs to help stop the bleed)
-baby oil (I have never actually used it...but I have it there incase I feel I need lubrication....other oils would work fine too...just make sure it is not anything that will hurt the baby)
-mirror (I personally haven't used it much, but sometimes it is good to be able to see what is going on)
-cotton balls to help dab the umbilical (honestly, I can't remember if I used them or not)
-paper towels (just in case for some reason or another)
-tissues (just in case for some reason or another)
-hair band to pull back hair
-water (or you can have someone get you water from wherever you normally get it)
-snacks (not that I actually ate any)
-birthing outfit....If you want one
-camera and things that make it work...such as batteries and film if applicable or memory card
-vid cam if you want it
-book (not that I  even read it..lol)
-rubber gloves (not that I ever used them...but nice to have on hand
-plastic covered print outs of what if scenerios
- list of emergency contacts as well as friends and family to call -Also have phone handy =)
-scale to weigh baby
-measuring tape to measure baby
-lotion in case you want a massage
-heating pad (mainly for after baby is born....helps with contrax after all is said and done)
-diapers and first outfit (although they don't HAVE to be kept in here)
-baby blankets and I keep one medium sized blanket as well
-soap.....well just incase I want to wash my hands..lol
-rubbing alcohol to quickly sterilize something if need
-clock or stop watch with clock on it to tell time of birth and if you decide to properly check baby's vitals
-chuck pads (puppy training pads)
-yoga ball (or in my instance the kids big ball..lol)
-blow up floaty donut ring (really helped me to relax in the water)
-bendy straw.....umm yeah never used it...just always saw it on the birthing kit list..lol
-bowl for placenta
-one thing that might be smart is a strainer net (like you would clean the pool with) in case on accident while pushing you go to the bathroom.....hey it happens..lol
-inflatable bath pillow

That is what I can remember from the top of my head. I may be missing some things. I tend to overdo it a bit on the stuff in the box...most of it is not used...lol.

If you plan to birth in a birthing tub, then make sure it is set up ahead of time.....but do not put water in until you know labor will be starting soon! I made that mistake with my last. I had filled it up a few days before and the tub got all slimy and nasty and had to be drained and cleaned. Then I did it the day before labor and the water was fine but was really cold! I had my hubby adding hot water...but it just was not cutting it. So I gave up on that one. I had planned to have the hose come from the sink...but for some reason the hose adapter wasn't working so we had to fill it from the outside spicket (cold!!! even at the end of may!!). Oh speaking of hose....I bought a new one as I didn't want to use an old one. I just ran water through it before hand to make sure there was no debri.
Figure out what all you need to make your pool experience run smoothly and double check everything before the big day so that you know of any issues!

I know that is a lot of info to process.....but hopefully it helped!

Tags
Homebirth , Homebirth Safety , Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page