What is the max time for placenta to deliver itself? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am planning a HBAC and want to know how long a placenta can be inside me after delivery before I should be concerned.

#2 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 PM

For what it's worth, a friend of mine just delivered unassisted.  Her placenta came 14 hours later and with significantly less bleeding than her previous assisted births. 

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#3 of 19 Old 02-25-2012, 04:14 AM

I've always heard that they typically come out b/n 10 minutes and up to an hour.

Mine have both taken 45 minutes. And I just had a friend tell me her's take up to 2 hours.

I never heard of one taking 14 hours until today, so I guess anything's possible. Isn't that just the truth with pregnancy and birth?!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#4 of 19 Old 02-25-2012, 05:23 AM

I had placenta out on hand from in his hands, and I took it when my dd was born. With my son it came out easy peasy in like ten-fifteen minutes but with my DD it had been an hour and I was starting to get nervous. I took two doses and about ten minutes later it came out. GL!

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#5 of 19 Old 02-25-2012, 05:44 AM

Great to know OrangeMoon, b/c I planned on ordering some of that this time! I really don't like having the placenta in for so long. I don't get nervous, it just becomes uncomfortable. Even though I'll get in bed and nurse, it's just this feeling of knowing there's something else that's supposed to come out and I'm ready for it all to be done. I'm not patient when it comes to the placenta at all. I'll definitely be ordering some of that for sure!

#6 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 01:11 PM

My placenta took 4 hours.  It was starting to get a little worrisome and I was taking Placenta Out, too!  Although my husband was measuring out the doses and I suspect that they weren't full doses since that darn bottle has a tiny little opening and he gets impatient.  Once I took the bottle and started squeezing full doses it took about 15 minutes.  My midwife friend mentioned later "the sea of chi" (I think that's how it's spelled) and said to press down with two  fingers four fingers-width above the pubic bone.  I don't have experience with this method but she used it before  successfully.

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#7 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses.  I just wanted to make sure I couldn't get an infection or anything if it was in there long. 

#8 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeF View Post

Thank you for your responses.  I just wanted to make sure I couldn't get an infection or anything if it was in there long. 

Infection is only one worry if you retain placenta.  The more urgent one would be that it can interfere with your uterus contracting properly and lead to postpartum hemorrhage.  In addition, retained placenta can lead to problems with lactation and yes, lead to a uterine infection.

Prior to having a UC, you need to ensure you've done enough research, beyond asking people on a message board, what the norms are for such events, because the consequences of NOT dealing with a retained placenta can be dire.

IntuitiveJamie and Kelly1101 like this.

Busy, hectic, HAPPY single mom to 3 awesome kiddos jumpers.gif DD1 (10) DS (8) DD2 (6)

#9 of 19 Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 AM

yeahthat.gif  ITA with lah7!

#10 of 19 Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 AM

My last took 5 hours, which was the longest ever in my 5 baby history.  I had very little bleeding while I waited though, so while I was beginning to get concerned, I wasn't ready to transfer.  We were just beginning to discuss transfer plans (UC) when it finally came out. 

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#11 of 19 Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 AM

Mine took 45 minutes to come out, which was nearly as long as my labor! LOL

#12 of 19 Old 03-07-2012, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

maybe I am missing something......but why not just birth it out right after the baby is born like normal? Now I understand some leave it attatched to baby for a bit, but why leave it inside of you?
With all of my 4 (including 2 UC) I just did the afterbirth right after I had the baby and checked them out and took a few minutes to relax.
Typically the placenta came out with very little effort. Is there a benefit to leaving it in???
I have never heard of this prior to reading this thread....can someone enlighten me?

#13 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 05:52 AM

I'm not under the impression anyone's holding it in. Is that even possible? Once that sucker wants to come out, is there anyway to even hold it back? What I'm hearing from this thread, is that for some women it's taking an extra long time. Both of mine took 45 minutes. I REALLY wanted mine to come out. I'm praying it comes out faster this time. But both times it didn't budge before 45 minutes. Not after laying down and nursing, not with uterus massage. Nothing. I do believe the "typical" time frame is 10 and up to an hour. But everyone's different.

#14 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 07:22 AM

Um, yes.  No one is *choosing* to retain a placenta.  It comes when it comes... but some have had to wait a longer amount of time - by no choice of their own - for it to release and come out. 

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#15 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Oh gosh no, that isn't what I meant at all LOL,  I was just asking because I have scar tissue from previous c-s and I really want my placenta to deliver itself but I had no clue how long it was supposed to take and if it is a super long time, should I worry.  I plan to use Placenta Out and a few other natural techniques and just hope they work.  I do want it out ASAP.

#16 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

lol...pregnancy brain at its finest...lol

I guess the phrase "placenta to deliver itself" threw me for a loop. I kind of perceived it as people just waiting around to have it fall out or something....lol

With all of my 4 deliveries mine came out quickly and easily without any issue....just a push or two when I was ready. I guess I didn't realize it could take longer to come out.

thanks for clarifying =S

#17 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 AM

Mine took about half hour. Nursing your baby (or trying) and vertical position can help, toilet is actually a good place since it keeps you vertical, although maybe not if you want to encapsulate placenta or eat it or something! Added bonus there is that weight of your internal organs will help further compress uterus.

#18 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

LOL yea I said deliver itself as opposed to someone delivering it by going in to to try to detatch it if it took too long. 

Thanks for the toilet idea.  I do plan to keep the placenta for consumption. 

#19 of 19 Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM

I delivered on the toilet both my last two children. The placenta unfortunately still never seemed to want to come out. I became tense waiting and got uncomfortable sitting there and trying to hold the baby and start nursing. I was so ready to be off the toilet and resting comfortably. So after about 1/2 hour we got me to the bed both times and waiting and it still didn't come out for a bit.

I'm really hoping placenta out works for me this time. I find the placenta delivery to be the most uncomfortable part.

Tags
Homebirth Safety

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page