Hello all! Any other first time UCers due this summer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I'm so happy to have found this forum! I'm a stay at home mom to a 20m in Boston and expecting another late this summer. We had a pretty good natural hospital birth with my son but have decided to UP and UC for our second. I am deeply at peace with my pregnancy and this decision and so excited to learn absolutely everything! I hope to find others to share this journey with me. I am going to be reading Laura Shanleys book and Emergency Childbirth Manual this week if anyone wants to chat about it. Thank you everyone for sharing your stories and providing this amazing resource!
#2 of 26 Old 03-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Congrats on your  pregnancy and decision to UC! Welcome to the site!

I am pg with my 5th and having my third UC this spring.

Have you looked in your due date "club"...you can probably find some like minded buddies there. =)

Hope all is going well with you!

#3 of 26 Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Welcome! I'm also having my 5th baby (all girls lol), but this is my first UC. I'm due the 4th of July and excited to have this experience. My first 4 were all hospital births, but my 4th was a birth center transfer. I ended up with pretty bad PTSD for about a year afterwards, which is a major part of why I plan to do things unassisted this time.

#4 of 26 Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

That was one reason I wasnt too interested in the birth center in Cambridge- its right next to a hospital and has a high rate of transfer. Also I just didnt want any monitoring this pregnancy. My fetoscope is coming today though and I cant wait to listen to my little sprout!

#5 of 26 Old 03-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Welcome! I'm planning an UC for my baby, due in June. This will be my first birth. Feel free to message me if you want to chat! :)

#6 of 26 Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 PM

Hi all I am brand new to this site. I am planning my first uc, I am due end of May beginning of June with my second and can't wait!! I had a natural first hospital birth but wasn't happy with my care or delivery so here's hoping this uc will make up for it!! If anyone has an tips on good reads (books or here online please lmk!!)

joy.gif

#7 of 26 Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

I really liked Emergency Chidbirth: A Manuel and am just delving into Laura Shanleys book now. My last labor was definitely aided by Ina May Gaskins natural birth book. I definitely get more interested in birth stories closer to the time. Are you guys doing your own prenatal care or seeing a mw/ob?
#8 of 26 Old 03-17-2012, 05:39 PM

I'm planning my first UC in August!  Very excited.  I am also doing my own prenatal care because our insurance, which we pay out the wazoo for!!!, sucks.  And the midwife fees in New Mexico are high, because most insurances here pay for midwifery care.  We qill move to Nebraska 4 weeks b4 my due date and midwives can't attend homebirths there.   

I am hoping to develop my list of needed supplies... I am a compulsive planner.  I have a birth kit, but without the midwife, there are lots of extra things needed- placenta bowl, good scissors, doppler and gel (not necessary to everyone, but I will want it), and I'll have a shot of pitocin there to help the placenta out....  This is my 4th and it's an ISSUE my body has, apparently!   

One big issue I have is clean-up.  My last 2 HB's the midwife and her assistant did that, and I hate to have Dh do it!  Maybe we will hire a doula to help with that?

#9 of 26 Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

I'm planning on getting an herbal preparation called Placenta Out (Sheeps purse I believe?) and remaining at least sitting up until it comes. I'm not too worried about the mess but I plan on buying a ton of towels and double making the bed with a plastic sheet in between. Hopefully my water will break while I'm in our bathtub. We have wooden floors so easy cleanup if any blood spills around. I think the price is a factor for me as far as a hb mw. It would be 3-5 grand on top of my health insurance and it feels uneccessary.
#10 of 26 Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbigailG View Post

I'm planning on getting an herbal preparation called Placenta Out (Sheeps purse I believe?) and remaining at least sitting up until it comes. I'm not too worried about the mess but I plan on buying a ton of towels and double making the bed with a plastic sheet in between. Hopefully my water will break while I'm in our bathtub. We have wooden floors so easy cleanup if any blood spills around. I think the price is a factor for me as far as a hb mw. It would be 3-5 grand on top of my health insurance and it feels uneccessary.

I don't have my books handy -- but probably the main ingredient in that placenta preparation is Angelica? Shepard's Purse would be taken after the placenta is delivered to stop hemorrhage, from what I remember, you should absolutely not take it if you have not yet delivered the placenta and verified that you have not retained a piece. You should check out "Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year." Also, I high recommend getting a copy of "Heart and Hands" by Elizabeth Davis, the Emergency cb manual is a good starting place, but Heart and Hands goes much further in depth for complications. It also has some sections about herbs/homeopathy too. For my UC I had a preparation to start stalled labors (didnt use), Angelia (didnt use), Shepard's Purse (did use but maybe didn't need to), and Comfrey infusion I made for small labial tear after. 

I don't think you can have too many towels on hand smile.gif

#11 of 26 Old 03-18-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! Just ordered both books from my library!
#12 of 26 Old 03-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Abigail, 

You might wanna check out "Unassisted Homebirth" by Lynn Griesemer too, I preferred that one over Shanley's book... 

Also, not UC specific, but I really liked "Active Birth" by Janet Balaskas, very helpful for positioning suggestions. I bought some of these used on amazon for pretty cheap... but if you can find them at the library first that's great!

#13 of 26 Old 03-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Expecting baby #3 May 3rd, give or take two weeks.  This will be our second UC, our first was twins. :)

#14 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 AM

Hi i'm due June 12th but my babies usually come earlier. This will be my third PG second UC and final baby. Very excited biggrinbounce.gif.

#15 of 26 Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 AM

Welcome! I'm also having my 5th baby (all girls lol), but this is my first UC.

#16 of 26 Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 AM

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgThanks for the tips! Just ordered both books from my library!

#17 of 26 Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

In regards to clean up- I personally do water birth as to me that contains the mess. I just use a kiddie pool.....so then it can just be taken outside, dumped and rinsed. To me clean up really isn't a deal. =)

#18 of 26 Old 03-24-2012, 02:51 AM

Hi!

I am new here as well & due June 28th :)  I have had 2 homebirths with a midwife & am planning my first UC with my 3rd!  So happy I found this forum!!

#19 of 26 Old 03-25-2012, 04:57 PM

I am UP and UC for the first time and due July 14th. I've had a breech HB and a vertex HB, both with midwives, both of which went well, though I think the vertex could've gone better - I should've gotten back in the water. I've been reading online, and plan to order a copy of Heart and Hands for more info. I've read Unassisted Homebirth: An act of Love by Griesemer, which has stories but no technical info, and Emergency Cb by Dr. White (who attended the birth of myself and the next 3 sibs, and who went from my 1st midwife's 1st daughter's birth to mine, small world, lol). The latter is mostly common sense.

I'm very interested in wharton's jelly and its role in closing the cord w/o the need to clamp - very cool! Midwifethinking is an interesting blog. Navelgazingmidwife has some interesting stuff too, but be prepared to find politicized stuff, as well as to encounter her extreme dislike of UC (which she tried, though not properly prepared), and be warned of her tongue, she doesn't hold it - if you can wade through that to get to the good/useful stuff, there are a few "gems".

I wanted to do waterbirth w/ my 2nd, DS the vertex, but dilation stopped at 6cm and I had to get out. Ended up delivering on my side on the bed. If I could do it over I'd get back in the tub when dilation was at 8 - the water was great for ctx, they tired me out quickly after I got out. I will go for WB again this time.

So far, my self-prenatals involve the blood pressure machine with pulse readout once a month, taking my vits, eating well, and recording my weight. I've been gauging fundal height by fingers below and above navel. Today I was able to palpate the head, and so far I've been unsuccessful at finding babe's heartbeat, but all we have is a cheap stethoscope. Considering getting a fetoscope, but don't know if they're really better - anybody have experience there? I'm 24 weeks today.
#20 of 26 Old 03-27-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Ive been reading Heart and Hands..lots of info about complications, which is useful,  but the role of the midwife seems to be very hands on. Which is what I'm trying to avoid by having an unassisted birth. I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about these more midwife driven books (also Ina May Gaskins Guide to Childbirth). What did you take away with you after reading these types of birth stories where the midwifes were so central to the delivery?

#21 of 26 Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Ive been reading Heart and Hands..lots of info about complications, which is useful,  but the role of the midwife seems to be very hands on. Which is what I'm trying to avoid by having an unassisted birth. I'm wondering what everyone else thinks about these more midwife driven books (also Ina May Gaskins Guide to Childbirth). What did you take away with you after reading these types of birth stories where the midwifes were so central to the delivery?

I think I had the same initial reaction to some of these books, some of the rhetoric. Just kinda ignore/think of yourself in the mw's position. The info is still very valuable. I had a cervical lip I had to push over my baby's head. I referenced heart and hands while in labor before doing so. It was invaluable to me. I will keep that book with me for the rest of my life, although the pages are stained now :)

A lot of the book is not really too applicable - like forming relationship with clients, birth professional options, etc. But the info about complications, herbs, normal labor progression, etc. I think is great. Same with Ina May's Spiritual Midwifery. I skimmed/didnt care about probably 3/4 of the book, but the other 1/4 is great. Take what YOU need and leave the rest.

#22 of 26 Old 03-28-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

Quote:

I think I had the same initial reaction to some of these books, some of the rhetoric. Just kinda ignore/think of yourself in the mw's position. The info is still very valuable. I had a cervical lip I had to push over my baby's head. I referenced heart and hands while in labor before doing so. It was invaluable to me. I will keep that book with me for the rest of my life, although the pages are stained now :)

A lot of the book is not really too applicable - like forming relationship with clients, birth professional options, etc. But the info about complications, herbs, normal labor progression, etc. I think is great. Same with Ina May's Spiritual Midwifery. I skimmed/didnt care about probably 3/4 of the book, but the other 1/4 is great. Take what YOU need and leave the rest.

This, exactly is my perspective, and purpose in ordering the book (which should hopefully arrive this week, I'm excited and can't wait!). There's some stuff you can find online, but I'm really looking for more technical info to be better prepared. And I've found that once I know the names of certain "problems" or variations, it's fairly easy to google and find pics to learn from too!

BTW, I totally lol'd about your stained pages. wink1.gif
#23 of 26 Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I will definitely take some notes on complications. I was just surprised by how hands on the midwives were. Things happened fast in my first birth and nobody really did much other than watch the monitor and tell me when to push. I know my dad, a family doc who delivered 2200 babies in his birthing centers, mostly focused on keeping women comfortable and did not frequently manipulate the baby. He had great outcomes. Probably witnessing so many simple births has led me here today. I think I'll have a better grasp on what I need to know when the time is near.
#24 of 26 Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:

Yes, I will definitely take some notes on complications. I was just surprised by how hands on the midwives were. Things happened fast in my first birth and nobody really did much other than watch the monitor and tell me when to push. I know my dad, a family doc who delivered 2200 babies in his birthing centers, mostly focused on keeping women comfortable and did not frequently manipulate the baby. He had great outcomes. Probably witnessing so many simple births has led me here today. I think I'll have a better grasp on what I need to know when the time is near.

Wow, that's awesome about your dad. If you own the books, I would just mark info you think maybe important, so when you want to revisit it/time gets nearer, it's easy to find. If they are on loan, maybe make some photocopies of important sections? I made a lot of lists/cheatsheets, but I needed to do that for my peace of mind personally. There seem to be soo many different styles and philosophies within midwifery, I guess at least in ucing, you more or less know what you are going to get! 

#25 of 26 Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 AM

I am expecting this summer too (end June/July-ish) and am hoping to UC. I've been UP so far and am waiting for my husband to decide if he feels he really needs a mw at our birth.

I have been reading Heart and Hands and going over all complication scenarios and I also have a copy of Emergency Childbirth on the way.

Just wondering for UC ers in the past how much did you feel you needed to study up on all this stuff? I've been a doula and educated myself on birth for years. My first baby was born at home, w/ a hands off mw, so it was almost a UC.

I eat super well and am super healthy.  I don't expect any complications, but I feel that to be responsible I have to have every possible scenario figured out. So I lay awake at night going over what to do in case of cord prolapse, hemorrhage, or slow to breath baby. How much energy should I be putting into this? Part of it is that I want  my husband to trust that I know my stuff and so that if people ask I can say that I was very prepared. How much of it is trusting your intuition to do what is needed in the moment vs. head knowledge?

I'm sure everyone is different, but I would just love to hear some thoughts...

#26 of 26 Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 PM

To be honest, there isn't really a limit to what you should know.  I continue to educate myself, and I'm having my second UC soon (just hit 36 weeks).

Tags
Unassisted Childbirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page